1.    #1  
    I've been collecting a lot of information from the other threads and posts here on treo central and I thought maybe I could give some useful information to someone else.

What I have to offer is free apps that I use to take advantage of all of what the Treo has to offer. I use only free application that I've found from other posts and threads:

For sending and receiving emails on the Treo I use Eudora mail. I downloaded the Eudora palm OS app only and not the Eudora desktop app.
    The Eudora palm OS app also comes with a web browser so you can click on web address inside your emails.Can't do it without thier web browser. If you don't recieve many web address in emails no need for it.
    For the pop3 and smtp information to use with the eudora mail I had set up an email account with Hotpop. Its free!!! Again everthing I use right now is free until I find the apps that I would pay money for. Very simple and easy to use.

After doing both of these I use my hotpop account as my primary account to give to all my friends and family. The version of the account is limited to only so much mail at a time and also it can only forward mail to only three accounts. I have mine forward to my Yahoo and my Ipipi account. You can't use your hotpop account to check email only to forward incoming mail to other accounts.

Ipipi brings me to the next step. Go to their website at http://www.ipipi.com and apply for another email account from this site. Again it is free. With this account you can check your emails received and/or also send. But the main purpose for using this account is you can setup an email alert to your sms. This is free also. This way when you receive mail you will receive an sms which will include the first 25 lines or so with the subject and sender name. The only bad part about this free service is you are only allowed 20 alerts a month. For me thats okay but I might upgrade my account to their $4.95 U.S. dollar month account plus paying $10 for first time activation fee. That way I can receive unlimited sms alerts. Which is a good thing to have. I like it so far.

Other apps I use are Album to go to view pictures and Kinoma to view moving pictures with sound. But the sound itsn't at all any good at this moment. I had emailed them and they said they were fixing it. Disregard, they now support the Treo line. I just went to there website and clicked on supported devices for Kinoma player and the Treo is supported so I believe the sound quality will be much better. Try it and see. I can't wait to try it myself. Also if you plan on using your digital camera to view on Kinoma you will need to purchase the Kinoma Producer then. But if you are satisfied with viewing your moving picture without sound there are plenty of free apps for that. But the one I use is Album to go. Others are Fireviewer and Tealmovie and g movie and a couple more I can't remember. This is the only one I know of that does sound also.

Be advised I have a Treo 270 using GPRS. So these settings might not work for you. Most user I've read use thieir cell phone carriers email settings and are having problems with it. I was lucky that I brought my Treo without having to use Cingular or Sprint or T-Mobile ect... I paid alot but I'd rather pick who I want then have someone pick a carrier for me. I use a free ISP that offers GPRS but I'm here in Germany and that might not work for some people so I won't mention it.

Last but certainly not least I use a fax program( J2) to receive and send faxes. Its free only to recieve faxes to your email account. Choose Jconnect free on the right. I have all faxes sent to my primary email account I had setup at Hotpop. The fax number they gave me I gave to all my family and friends.

I'm pretty sure most people know how to do this already I'm just trying to help a newbie Treo owner have these services on their Treo until they find a better app that fits your budget and your needs. Becuase to do it right it does cost money at least this will get you started in the right direction.

Do be advised some of these app if not all will no longer be free sooner or later. Maybe not I don't know for sure but use it now while it is.
    I hope any of this will help someone. Try and forgive me for making this so long.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 11/29/2002 at 12:30 PM.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Last but certainly not least I use a fax program( J2) to receive and send faxes. Its free only to recieve faxes to your email account. Choose Jconnect free on the right. I have all faxes sent to my primary email account I had setup at Hotpop. The fax number they gave me I gave to all my family and friends.

How do you open the J2 fax attachments with Eudora?
  3.    #3  
    Sorry about that. You have to go to their website and download the file to open faxes sent to you. Go to their site and click on downloads at top. Bringds you to another page and the download is called J2Messenger. Also I've found an even better free site to send alerts to your Treo via sms messages at zaSMS . This one is free also and lets you have 5 email alerts through sms a day. Much better then Ipipi. If you set up an account through hotpop, you can have them forward your emails to the email address provided by zaSMS which is zaSMS(cell phone number/ international written)@cycad.com. Also on this site you can upgrade your account to a paid account and receive more email alerts via sms. Anything else just let me know. By the way I was notified via SMS that someone replyed to my Thread. I like that.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I've been using efax to for a long time to send and receive faxes on my desktop computer, however they do not support or have a reader to view my faxes on the treo.
    What your saying is the j2 software will allow me to view faxes with my treo? If so, my treo would finally be complete!!!

Thanks in advance,

Greg
  5.    #5  
    What your saying is the j2 software will allow me to view faxes with my treo? If so, my treo would finally be complete!!!
    Oh no. I apoligize if it came across as that ,but I don't believe Endora is able to view the faxes on the Treo. You would have to be able to download that J2 messenger onto the Treo. Or an email client(Endora) on the Treo that has an acrobat reader built in it. I havent tried reading the fax emails on the Treo yet. So far my family sent a fax to me using the number I gave and I check it with my yahoo account. Becuase I have all my emails forwarded to Yahoo and Ipipi, my emails bypass Endora on the Treo and go to these to accounts. Then Ipipi sends a SMS message to the Treo. If I'm not traveling and I'm near a computer I'll just check everything using yahoo. I tried it the first couple of times to make sure it worked but I haven't tried viewing faxes on the Treo Endora email client. I don't think it will work though. Give me a few minutes and I'll let you know. I have to cancel the forwarding on my Hotpop account and then fax myself an email. I'll let you know momentarily.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I think if you were to use an email app. that supports attachments and can view a .tif file, we would be good to go!
    I see that snappermail is working on supporting .tif file attachements.

Eudora is a great app (for free) but it does not support attachements.

The j2 software says that you can send faxes from a palmVII. I assume that would also apply to the treo?....
    My main goal would be the ability to view faxes from my treo, sending them isn't as important.

Greg
  7.    #7  
    I think if you were to use an email app. that supports attachments and can view a .tif file, we would be good to go!
    That is correct. The app I want is Documents to go 6.0 . The one that offers email also with the ability to view ppr slides, spreadsheets, word doc, ect.

Didn't work. Fax machine keeps giving error: Communication Error 344.

Also for Endora being free it is just enough to get your feet wet by just being able to send and receive emails on Treo. And once you've gotten bored with the free stuff and feel comfortable to move up by all means do so. If you want to do it right you will have to pay for it.

Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll do a list of items that aren't free but are the best around. I have seen alot of those that I will end up getting. As the free items I am currently using will need to be simiplified. Goal is to have one app that is the perfect office 2000 palm counter-part. We'll see if thats possible.

But for viewing faxes on treo , you will need a better email client. And I haven't seen any free ones yet.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I've long since gotten bored with all of the free stuff, and now that I've gotten bold and installed the gprs patch before its official U.S. release and it works great I don't know what else to play with!
    Now I'm just trying to fine tune and all I'm really missing is the ability to receive my faxes on the 270!

Thanks for your info and testings!!

Greg
    tried the kinoma, sound sucks. they have not updated it even though they have listed treo 270 as a supported device. I got the same stock autoresponder email
    when I asked when it was going to work with treo 270. Anyone have a video player that will do sound so you can actually hear the words the people are saying on the video?

all constructive comments welcome...

Ideawiizard
  10.    #10  
    tried the kinoma, sound sucks. they have not updated it even though they have listed treo 270 as a supported device.
    Thats not good. Don't know what to tell you except keep praying that Kinoma will get it right soon. And keep bugging them with emails.

By the way I actually found a site that makes and sells sd cards that has one movie on it to view on the Pocket PC. The movies listed to me weren't of much interest. So kinoma still has time to get it right. But thats me. Beside still would need a way to up the memory on the Treo for that. I want to here from Oslk01 I think was his name who said he was coming out with a cf card for the Treo.

I don't remember where the site is thou.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
  11.    #11  
    Just FYI

Here's a website to be able to download movies onto a cf card to view on a pda.

Duxoup Home Page

Now if Treo came with a cf card slot or if someone made a way to add it to the current Treo's. And if Kinoma could fix the sound problem.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    That's the thing. I heard Kinoma was quite impressive but was ultimately nothing more than a toy if you don't have memory card expansion. I heard one guy say that he got two 128 MB chips and loaded Star Wars Episode II onto for viewing on his CLIE. That's a galaxy far, far away for the 270. SD slot was the one feature I really wished they would've put on the 270 and made me think twice before buying it. Ironic that they fit into the 90. One would bet that the key features of the next gen Treo will have that, the 100 Mhz processor, and 16 bit color.
  13.    #13  
    Might be sooner then you think.

Read this thread about an idea I have,

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=29718

Then read this one.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=29332

The person in the second thread(cypressind) is working with me to make my idea come true. Pray it works. He seems to think so.

If it did work would you buy it.

Don't get your hopes up though. I'm NOT saying it will work I'm just saying pray. Send him emails to encourage him people would love something like this if you want.

It might not even be possible. But feel free to send him emails.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Originally posted by ronaldwright

But for viewing faxes on treo , you will need a better email client. And I haven't seen any free ones yet.
    But this e-mail program would have to be able to understand the format that J2 is using (.efx), which seems to be proprietary to J2? Does this not mean that you would need a Palm version of the J2 Messenger?

I assumed that the Palm VII client (which did not work on Treo) may be able to view attachments, but then again, there is no such file logic in Palm I guess, so the e-mail program must somehow be able to read J2's formats = will probably not happen?

JT