1.    #1  
    I am very new to the Treo 300 family.

First question: How do you utilize the downloadable games and ringtones. I know that our phones can't use them out of the box but is there a third party software fix that will allow me to go to my pcs vision account download a game or ringtone and I am good to go or is there one at least in developement.

Second question: Why did Handsprint not include a mail app. Is Sprint offering a free mail app. for POP mail access or must I use something like Snapper Mail and pay the $32 for this feature.

Thanks for all the help.

Richard
  2.    #2  
    By the way thanks for the help in advance.
    Regards,
    Richard
    Last edited by BayAreaTreo; 10/21/2002 at 04:02 PM.
    Sprint gives away the email app but charges for the service. Business Connect is what they call it. $5 a month.
    1) PCS Vision ringtones and games are rather primitive compared to the wide array of options offered by the Palm OS in general. Palmsource is now quoting that there are 15,000 Palm OS apps out there, a substantional portion of which are games. For that reason, I do not believe there are any apps out there that specifically port PCS Vision apps to the Palm OS.

If you've never been there before, check out all the Palm OS apps (including thousands of games) at:

- PalmGear
    - Tucows PDA
    - Handango (Palm OS)

2) Email apps include:

- Treo Mail
    - Eudora for Palm OS
    - MultiMail
    - Aileron
    Richard,

Everyone here is great, and most helpful, but if you are looking for an answer to your question in a more timely manner, may I suggest you utilize the "Search" function? Just type in "Gamers" or "Download ringtones" or something similar, click "Search", and you will find a plethora of information.

Hope this helps....

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  6.    #6  
    Thank you all for your feeback. Very helpful. This is a great newsgroup. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Richard
    and to close the loop here, the reason the Treo can't download games, ringtones, and such, is that Sprint's phones that CAN do that (the Samsungs, Sanyos, etc) have a specific technology in them called 'J2ME' - it's from SUN, and stands for Java2 Micro Edition. The Palm platform has no such support for Java currently. J2ME basically is what enables the various downloadable, over the air content. Qualcomm offers a competing technology called 'BREW' - Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless.
    As stated above, the bottom line is that the massive amount of 3rd party games and apps for the Palm far outnumbers any such over the air content that Sprint or any wireless carrier would choose to make available for a device (and the price is typically better in our world as well).
  8.    #8  
    Thanks so much. I was sure there must be a tech. reason why no downloads over the air so to speak. I appreciate the insight.