Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    it's called proper id, and computer look up. usually you would go to the sales person you bought from.
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by imageone

Hey Dan,
    Don't feel bad. If what AdamK says is true, CC will refund you the difference. I think you have up to 30 days to do so. You don't even need your receipt. Go and try that at your Sprint store.
    Thanks, imageone! I didn't even think of that. I always forget which stores have a price-matching guarantee.

I now have my $148.16 refund, and I definitely owe you one. It wasn't easy to get, though. I called Circuit City and asked them how the price-matching worked, and they said they needed to call the store with the lower price while I was there and "verify stock". I took this to mean that I had to find a Best Buy that had the Treo 300 in stock, so I called the Mission Viejo store and they for some reason don't carry the 300.

I then called the Costa Mesa store that AdamK had bought the last 300 at yesterday to see if they had more in, and indeed they did, but only 2. I therefore rushed over to CC so that hopefully when they called they would still be in stock.

When I got there, a guy at the front counter called up BB, but he kept getting antsy and would give up and hang up and call back, which of course only increases wait time (anyone who's listened to a hold recording or has half a brain should realize this). He called in and then hung up three times, and then gave up and had a manager in the back room do it, which really made me nervous, because he could be just screwing around back there and then come out later and claim they were all out of stock.

He finally came out, having given up waiting on hold as the first guy had, and then he called the Fullerton store, though I had no idea whether they carried the 300 or not. I kept hinting for him to call the Costa Mesa store simultaneously on the other line in case Fullerton finally came on the line and said they didn't carry it.

He kept ignoring my suggestion, but finally followed it after 11 minutes on hold with Fullerton. At the 15 minute mark, Costa Mesa finally took him off hold and verified the price. When they did so, he did not ask them whether they actually had any in stock. Not sure if this was because the whole the thing had taken so long and he didn't want to spend time calling other stores if they didn't have it in stock, or if the person I talked to on the phone misspoke when they said "verify stock".

All told, I was at CC for almost an hour just trying to get my credit. I asked for future reference if they would accept a receipt with the price frm the other store on it as proof (since in the time it took, I could have gone and bought an extra 300 from BB, then gone to CC, then gone back to BB and returned the extra), but he said no, because customers might negotiate a lower-than-usual price at the other store.

He implied that an ad in the paper would have been sufficient (which I guess means they don't have to verify stock), but I found this week's flyer on BB's web site while I was waiting, and while it said that all cell phones were 25-50% off, it didn't feature the Treo 300 specifically. It also wasn't possible to verify the price for the Treo 300 on BB's site, since, like some other brick-and-mortar retailers, they do their online cell phone sales through an external contractor site (not sure why this is).

So basically, if anyone else wants to take advantage of this offer (it is pretty cool to have the best of both worlds -- the BB price and the CC store ubiquity for your replacement plan), be ready to have them wait on hold for a long time, since BB is apparently pretty swamped right now due to the sale. The sale, BTW, is through Saturday.
    [original message deleted]

never mind, I didn't read page two of this interesting thread!
    Last edited by drw; 10/21/2002 at 11:18 PM.
    David
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    So basically, if anyone else wants to take advantage of this offer (it is pretty cool to have the best of both worlds -- the BB price and the CC store ubiquity for your replacement plan), be ready to have them wait on hold for a long time, since BB is apparently pretty swamped right now due to the sale. The sale, BTW, is through Saturday.
    I wouldn't want to duplicate your saga. How does it feel now after all that to have unlimited high(er) speed data?
    David
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by drw
    I wouldn't want to duplicate your saga. How does it feel now after all that to have unlimited high(er) speed data?
    Very good. I'm impressed how low the latency is. It's definitely low enough for real-time typing in Mocha Pocket Telnet. I was thinking Top Gun ssh's equivalent of the UNIX telnet client's "mode line" (where you type locally then send a chunk at once) would be an important feature, but so far I haven't seen high enough latencies to warrant it.

On another topic, though, I noticed today that when my Treo's in my pocket (which is where I have to carry it -- I don't wear a belt, so a belt clip is no good) it gets accidentally turned on a lot (no, not a la Robert Palmer -- I mean the power turns on by accident).

The culprit seems to be the up-down buttons and the application shortcut buttons. The rocker switch and power switch are positioned such that it's a lot harder for them to get pressed accidentally. I could get a case to prevent accidental pressing of the other buttons, of course, but that's not very desirable for a rapid-access cell phone and always-on (or at least rapid-on) Internet device.

I'll have to poke around and see if there's a hack available to disable powering on by the up-down and application buttons.
    Thanks, imageone! I didn't even think of that. I always forget which stores have a price-matching guarantee.

I now have my $148.16 refund, and I definitely owe you one.
    and Dan, don't forget the $50.00 mail in rebate with Sprint. http://www.handspring.com/promos/ima...lar_rebate.jpg

OK now your savings are up to $198.16
  7.    #27  

and Dan, don't forget the $50.00 mail in rebate with Sprint. http://www.handspring.com/promos/ima...lar_rebate.jpg

OK now your savings are up to $198.16
    Yup, Circuit City had the rebate forms and gave one to me without me having to ask (IIRC). Doesn't need to be postmarked until Nov. 16, so I'll probably wait until I get back from vacation to deal with it.

Anyhow, thanks for the reminder.
    I used SwitchOffHack (IIRC) on my Palm VII, but it doesn't turn on in the holster (I *do* wear a belt!). That should work fine.
  9.    #29  
    On another topic, though, I noticed today that when my Treo's in my pocket (which is where I have to carry it -- I don't wear a belt, so a belt clip is no good) it gets accidentally turned on a lot (no, not a la Robert Palmer -- I mean the power turns on by accident).

The culprit seems to be the up-down buttons and the application shortcut buttons. The rocker switch and power switch are positioned such that it's a lot harder for them to get pressed accidentally. I could get a case to prevent accidental pressing of the other buttons, of course, but that's not very desirable for a rapid-access cell phone and always-on (or at least rapid-on) Internet device.

I'll have to poke around and see if there's a hack available to disable powering on by the up-down and application buttons.
    To follow up on this topic, some searching turned up this thread, where I've made a reply with my experience.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    All together now: "D'OH!!!!"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28374

Jeez, now what? I'm sure Best Buy and CC won't honor this price since it's a rebate. In fact, checking their weekly ad, BB's policy specifically applies to local competitors and specifically excludes the internet. On top of everything else, cellular is specifically excluded in CA.

Interestingly, Amazon requires new activation which Dan and I have already done. This activation is done online and doesn't have the new unlimited data plans.

I suppose that we could:
    - Return the phone to BB/CC (30 day return policy)
    - Cancel the new line (14-day satisfaction guarantee, minus $34.99 activation)
    - Purchase new phone over Amazon with el cheapo plan
    - Call Sprint to get better plan.

All of this to save $90 ($374.99 at BB minus $250 at Amazon minus the 2nd activation fee of $34.99).

Is it worth it?

I'm gonna say no - because I got an offer about a month ago for a $150 service credit if I switched back. I lost the offer but after an hour of wrangling I was able to get it applied. Don't think I'll be able to swing that again.

Don't forget, you can get a $20 referral credit by dialing #REF on your PCS phone.
    Originally posted by AdamK

Jeez, now what? I'm sure Best Buy and CC won't honor this price since it's a rebate. In fact, checking their weekly ad, BB's policy specifically applies to local competitors and specifically excludes the internet. On top of everything else, cellular is specifically excluded in CA.
    your right AdamK, CC offers price match on local competitors only. I think you have a great deal, and was just trying to help Dan out. I'm going to my local CC today, to see what kind of deal I can come up with. The way I see it 374.99 - 50.00 on the rebate and with the current offering from Sprint on unlimited data = Treo 300 for me. And I'm a die hard Verizon user with a Kyo 6035, and holding out for the new 7135, but if I can get this deal I may just end up with two phones.
    maybe this isn't the right place to ask but, I'm not currently a Sprint user. If I buy a Treo 300 at CC tonight will they activate it, do I have to take it to the Sprint store? can I do it online? or do I do it over the phone? how long does it take to get activation? Does CC try to sale me a plan?
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by AdamK

Jeez, now what? I'm sure Best Buy and CC won't honor this price since it's a rebate. In fact, checking their weekly ad, BB's policy specifically applies to local competitors and specifically excludes the internet.
    Yup. And I don't feel bad about not having bought directly from Amazon, since in my case I wanted the phone immediately (so I'd have access to my server while on vacation).
  14.    #34  
    maybe this isn't the right place to ask but, I'm not currently a Sprint user. If I buy a Treo 300 at CC tonight will they activate it, do I have to take it to the Sprint store? can I do it online? or do I do it over the phone? how long does it take to get activation? Does CC try to sale me a plan?
    If you buy at CC, you'll call Sprint to activate it. As long as you don't have a weird identity confirmation problem like I did, everything should go smoothly and in all likelihood your phone will get activated immediately, during your call to them.

If you feel more comfortable activating at a Sprint store (which could actually be a good idea, since hold times are pretty long right now due to the popularity of the new unlimited data plans), apparently that option is open to you too, even if you didn't purchase there.

After my experience, I'd say if you do go the store route, bring your Social Security Card just in case.
    After my experience, I'd say if you do go the store route, bring your Social Security Card just in case.
    And birth certificate, passport, driver's license, insurance and registration on the car that got you to the store, dna sample, major credit card, dental x-rays, and be prepared to be finger printed, retinal scanned, and fecal tested in the mass spectrometer.

So, has Amazon started to stock the 300? I read one post a while back from someone who ordered from amazon only to be told that it's on back order and should be delivered in 6 weeks. D'OH!
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    So, has Amazon started to stock the 300? I read one post a while back from someone who ordered from amazon only to be told that it's on back order and should be delivered in 6 weeks. D'OH!
    I ordered one yesterday (Oct 22) using the free shipping option and I just got an email saying they expect it to ship on Oct 30th, and then arrive Nov 4th or so. So, that's about two weeks for it to arrive, a bit longer than I would expect, but it is free shipping, so I can't complain too much.

With a deal like they're offering I couldn't resist upgrading to the 300... I have the 90 now and love it, after selling it on eBay I would of paid something like $50 to upgrade to the 300, which is too good to pass up.

Hope that helps! - Justin

PS: Anyone want a month old Treo 90 in mint condition with unopened docs and software?
    It's a good offer, but not without having to jump through some hoops. Gotta give amazon $499, they'll send your phone in a couple weeks, then gather all the stuff required for the rebate forms, $200 in about 10 weeks from amazon, $50 from Sprint, then you gotta change plans to unlimited. Given that the upc sticker goes to amazon, the phone is not returnable. Does that imply that even a defective device wouldn't be returnable?

If they offered the unlimited plans on the web site, that would make the process more bearable, but I think it's just too much work as is. Call me lazy, but I don't want to make a career out of filling and tracking rebates. I bought some CDR's once that were supposed to be free after rebate. I waited, tracked, emailed, phoned, etc. No rebate. Scumbags.

It's just in tech where rebates are so prevalent because people are so return happy. That's just the way it is, however, when buying for my employer I ask "which is the cheapest excluding rebates" because I don't want to mess with them.
    David
    I was certainly smacking myself upside the head when Best Buy put Treo on sale 25% off this week after I paid $500 at Fry's the a month ago. The kicker is that, unlike the amazon.com offer, it's good for existing customers as well. The problem was the none of my Best Buy's carried the Treo 300 yet (sure they all said they did over the phone, but it was actually the Treo 300).

Anyway, thanks to a poster in this thread, I learned that Costa Mesa had them....unfortunately they only got in one today which sold out... Thank God for nice Best Buy people, because she told me to check Westminster. Jackpot, they had three in stock.

Hauled over at 8:00, bought the Treo for $337 (25% plus a 10% coupon I've been keeping for this opportunity). Plus, for the same price as Fry's two-year "replace once only" warrenty, I got the Best Buy 3-year plan (I was surprised to see it listed as a "PDA-Cell Phone Combo" plan which means they now charge more than a standard cell phone).

I then ran to Fry's and returned my orginal Treo (exactly 30 days after purchase...phew!). I was nice and gave them the unopened manual, accessories, and software from my new purchase (mine work just fine).

Net result, saved almost $200 and got a better warrenty. Treocentral rules!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12