1.    #1  
    I am currently testing out a Sidekick, but still have my old Sprint plan and I'm trying to decide whether to ditch the sidekick and get a Treo and stick with Sprint. However, I'm totally confused about the features / functionality of the Sprint network with the Treo. If someone could clear up these questions for me I'd really appreciate it:

1. Are you always connected with the Treo? Do I need to connect to browse the web or retrieve my email? And, while I'm browsing or doing something can people call me? I read that it would forward to voicemail on the handspring site if you were browsing the internet. ( http://handspring.com/products/treo3...=Treo300#web16 )

2. I think I understand now that email is pull not push, except for this business connect service. Is business connect true push? I've read something on the forums about Sprint going full 3G on October 25th, what does that mean? Will that allow some sort of push email to happen? Certain FAQ entries seem to indicate this should be possible ( http://handspring.com/products/treo3...e=Treo300#web4 ) but I'm not clear on it.

Thanks for helping me to clear this stuff up, after reading lots of forum messages I'm still confused.

Matt
    With the Treo 300, you are always connected. The Treo 270 and 180 does not have this functionality yet.

I do not think there are any true push mail solution for the Treo yet.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Yardie,

When you're on the browser can you still take a phone call, or does it go straight to voicemail?

Matt
    Originally posted by Matt2000
    Thanks Yardie,

When you're on the browser can you still take a phone call, or does it go straight to voicemail?

Matt
    From my experience, if the Internet application (browser, etc.) is in the process of transferring data (in or out) when a call comes in, then the call will go directly to voicemail. However, if you are simply viewing data already transferred to the Treo (i.e., the web page has already completely downloaded), then your phone will ring.

Geoffrey
    Yes, the other day I was browsing and a call came in...it prompted me to choose whether to answer the call or go on with my browsing. Now, if I had been in the process of downloading the data to browse, then I probably wouldn't have gotten prompted.

You can do PIM activities while on the phone...and the nice thing is you can turn on the speakerphone to make it easier to do the PIM activities while still continuing the conversation. Cool!
  6.    #6  
    So doesn't that stink? I mean I was under the impression that this '3G' network was always on data, but it seems to be just connecting over the phone circuit. I don't want to have to be worrying about missed calls if I'm doing something with data, that'd be like going back to dialup.

Maybe it just sounds worse than it is, but it sounds pretty irritating.

Matt
    I have both the Sidekick and the Treo 300 so I can speak to comparisons. Prior to SPCS going to unlimited data as part of the calling plans, T-Mobile had the advantage relative to pricing. Now, I would put them both on par. SPCS has a more robust coverage map than T-Mobile although if you are travelling to major metropolitan areas, I would rate this coverage on par.

T-Mobile's network is GPRS which will be slower than SPCS' 1XRTT network, once SPCS has the network fully turned up. Additionally, the Treo is always "on" for data versus when you do a data function on the Sidekick it does a connection to T-Mobile's network at that point.

In regard to form and usability, the Treo has the color screen and is slimmer than the Sidekick. Additionally, the phone functionality is easier to use on the Treo. I would give kudos to Sidekick's user interface but the plus goes to Treo for being able to add additional third party apps.

Relative to push email, the SPCS Business Connection software can be configured to push new email to your Treo as well as to sync with your corporate desktop on a regualr basis. Additionally, there are a number of additional products (e.g., TreoMail) that will do similar functionality.

I find that I use the Treo primarily for the phone functions, web surfing when I need color and the Sidekick for easy access to email and quick surfing.
  8.    #8  
    That's a lot of good information, thanks enagel.

I've been reading on this forum though that despite what Sprint says about the business connection being push email, it's not the same as what we have on the Sidekick. Do you have push email set up on your Treo right now?

Thanks.

Matt
    Originally posted by Matt2000
    That's a lot of good information, thanks enagel.

I've been reading on this forum though that despite what Sprint says about the business connection being push email, it's not the same as what we have on the Sidekick. Do you have push email set up on your Treo right now?

Thanks.

Matt
    I have push email set up on my Treo using SPCS Business Connection. With it running on my office desktop, each email is delivered to my Treo when it arrives at my desktop. Additionally, you can configure the BC app on the Treo to also email sync with the desktop at regular intervals.

Actually, on the Sidekick what occurs is that the servers at Danger, Inc. which provides the infrastructure for T-Mobile on the Sidekick polls any POP3 email accounts you have set up on the device on a regular basis. Hence, this is technically pull versus push email. Regardless, the email shows up on both devices in a relatively timely fashion.

One additional comparison comment between the two devices. The Treo, based upon the Palm OS functionality, allows easier syncing of calendar and contacts than the Sidekick. With the Sidekick, you have to export a tab delimited file from Outlook and then import it to the Desktop Interface at T-Mobile's website. This process is cumbersome. Also, if you were to change the contacts or address book on the Sidekick, only the Desktop Interface would be changed. There is currently no export function back to Outlook from the Sidekick. Also, Danger, Inc. only supports Outlook currently and not Notes.
    Are there still people out there using Lotus, er, IBM Notes? Man, I thought things had evolved?
  11.    #11  
    Ok, that sounds pretty good enagel. When I was talking about the Sidekick email though I was referring to the account that comes with it which is true push, as opposed to the POP accounts you can set up additionally which are only polling your server occasionally.

So I guess to replicate the push email of the Sidekick I'll get myself setup with that business connector.

Matt