1.    #1  
    Hi there

I need more RAM and the GSM EDGE speed so I am reluctantly moving to the Centro to see if it can replace my beautiful 650.

Can I just use backup the Treo to SD and transfer the backup to the Micro SD of the Centro and restore?

Or Hotsync restore?

Is a straight transfer compatible?

Many thanks!
    -----------------------
    palmOne Treo 650 GSM 01.31 / 1.13
  2. cwb
    i did back up and restore, but you will get some incompatibility on apps. i think your best bet is to hotsync your contacts and then install from hotsync or back up your other apps.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.

I really really wanted to like the Centro believe me I need the RAM!

In the end after receiving the Centro I could not come to terms with the inferior build, lack of touch screen sensitivity, squidgy horrible keyboard, glossy nasty finish, awful stylus, and lack of software compatibility with other Treo software (Butler, crash and others).

I have stored it away as a backup.

As you might have guessed I did not like this phone and will stick the with 650 until maybe a 680 upgrade.
    Last edited by roguetrooper; 05/26/2011 at 02:55 AM.
    -----------------------
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Just wondering, have you thought about a 755P? I had a Centro, problem I had with it was that my thumb is as big (literaly) as the keyboard, anyway I just picked up a couple of 755s off of Ebay, I went through a company called bidallies, they have been great to work with, one of the treos still had the green protective film on the touch screen I did have a problem with the other one, they took it back and promptly sent me anouther one, anyway that aside, I am very happy with the 755, same formfactor as the 650 I had before the Centro, but with a ton more memory.
    Also I just found out (this might be old news to some) that the company who released the 64 bit drivers owns the Palm/Garnet os, they are making a PDA on that platform now, so who know what could happen in the future, I sent them an email incouraging them to comtinue because in my mind it is the best PIM to come down the pike so to speak.
    Terry
    Terry
    I haven't looked at this board in over a year when I got an Android. I so very much miss my Centro but left for the larger screen but still use a Treo when traveling to Europe.

Don't know if it's still talked about but the best program I ever had was (and still is for my Centros) NV Backup. Yes, you can just copy your SD card onto the micro SD card and once you download NV Backup onto the Centro just restore and everything that you had on the 650 that is still compatable with the Centro will be there, as long as you're using the same user name. To me, the Centro is the best phone Palm ever made.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  6.    #6  
    have you thought about a 755P
    I'd love a 755P, however I am in the UK (and Russia) where we don't have CDMA, just GSM, GPRS, EDGE and 3G.....

Why didn't Palm make a GSM 755P?

I realize some like the Centro, and I guess if I put a lot of effort into it, changed that horrible stylus for a metal one and got a nice leather case I might eventually come around to liking it. But it's a lot of work, and the touch screen seems very insensitive (this could be due to the screen protector, I purchased this used).

The 650 is great still - but the lack of RAM and slowish processor (I know it's the same as the rest of the Treo range) along with just GPRS are really beginning to be limitations for me although I have learned to live with them.
    -----------------------
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrooper View Post
    I'd love a 755P, however I am in the UK (and Russia) where we don't have CDMA, just GSM, GPRS, EDGE and 3G.....

Why didn't Palm make a GSM 755P?

I realize some like the Centro, and I guess if I put a lot of effort into it, changed that horrible stylus for a metal one and got a nice leather case I might eventually come around to liking it. But it's a lot of work, and the touch screen seems very insensitive (this could be due to the screen protector, I purchased this used).

The 650 is great still - but the lack of RAM and slowish processor (I know it's the same as the rest of the Treo range) along with just GPRS are really beginning to be limitations for me although I have learned to live with them.
    I think I would try replacing, or at least takeing the screen protector off, I thought the touch screen on my Centro was just as sensitive as on my 650, 700 and the 755, I did get the pen stylis for my Centro, it came in quite handy, if you were here in the US where shipping wouldn't kill you I would just give you one for the cost of shipping.
    If your hands aren't to big for the keyboard I think you will come to like the Centro, there were things I liked about it, I liked ptunes, it has the full delux version, and it had the most up to date docs to go, and the hi-rez screen, I think you would like it once you get used to it.
    Terry