Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I just picked upa Treo and got one of those sweet unlimited data plans. When using the supplied Blazer browser it displays the speed of the connection at the bottom. I cant seem to get over 20k. Is this normal? Isnt this a 3G connection. At the very least I would expect 50-60k.

Also what are my options when it comes to browsers and email clients? I want to be able to check my Earthlink and Hotmail email on the go, or have it pushed to my phone but stay on the server. Any ideas?

The speed thing is really bothering me, here I am with an advanced mini PC like PDA and the 3G network, but still getting 20k?!?!?!

(P.S. My first post, this forum seems awesome, looking forward to hangin)
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    OK Im a moron, the number on the bottom of the screen is how many kb you are loading. But the connection still seems very very slow.

Also blazer seems to load some pages kind of cuttng them into strips and stacking them vertically. Any browswer that just resizes the images/text dynamically? Any way to have just the pics shrunk, but keep the font large?
    I also have a Blazer question...is there any way to refresh the webpage you are viewing?

As a PocketPC user (using MultiIE...an enhanced version of PocketIE), Blazer sure seems really limited. One thing I do like better about Blazer is the way it formats text to wrap to the screen width on Google Groups.

-yvonne
    :menu: R or tap the menu and under page click refresh
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I've heard good things about the Xiino browser, but I've never used it and don't know if it does what you're asking. Might be worth checking out.
    Originally posted by miradu
    :menu: R or tap the menu and under page click refresh
    Thank you...I didn't know that the :menu: key was a menu key...so I had no idea how to get to the menu!!! Can you say "newbie"? lol
    SpineDoc,

Not sure about the data speeds right now. I use EudoraWeb which runs pretty quickly downloads (doesn't pull pictures - setting I guess?). Blazer seems a little slower which I've attributed to pulling pictures (even when the pic setting is the fastest - albeit with pictures).

I remember reading another post where someone received a letter from Sprint stating that 3G would go live October 25th or something like that. So, maybe the network isn't fully functional yet.

Love the Treo, love the new unlimited data plans! I can't tell you how many times I've use the internet connection for weather, phone number look-up, etc. while on the road.

NCTreo300
    As for browsers, try ZFrame along with Eudora and Xiino. I think ZFrame has an interesting idea, with some potential, on how to render web pages on a PDA. I've actually gotten used to using Blazer and actually find it preferrable over other browsers I've used (except for the crazy limitation that keeps you from being able to copy and paste text from a Blazer page!!...really a pain when you look up phone numbers on Blazer and want to copy the number into your phone dialer!!! -- other browsers let you copy text).
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hmm, Ive tried all of these and suppose it is just a limitation of the screen size, etc. What I would love is having something like what Opera is announcing for mobile phones, a browser that just takes the page, shrinks it down so it looks like on your computer, filters out extraneous material, and compresses the images. Basically it should look exactly like your computer displays web pages with compressed pictures and enhanced fonts.

I guess no one has really built a good browser yet, sigh.
    How do I find the data connection speed?
    For Earthlink, you can use Treo Mail from Handspring. Works great for me. It costs about $50 a year, but in my opinion its well worth it - compresses emails for faster downloads, allows you to forward attachments, and best of all, it's designed specifically for Treo so it makes best use of the jog rocker, etc. You can set it to automatically download your email every 30 minutes, and they'll stay on the server.

Hotmail you can check through Blazer if you want. Try this link:

http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx
    Xiino shrinks pictures and keeps text normal sized. It does what youre asking for.

Here's an additional tip. If you have blazer and xiino installed hitting the blue key and the web browser button will still bring up blazer even if you have xiino liked to the web browser button.

Useful for cycling between the two without using the launcher.

D.
    Originally posted by NCTreo300
    SpineDoc,

Not sure about the data speeds right now. I use EudoraWeb which runs pretty quickly downloads (doesn't pull pictures - setting I guess?). Blazer seems a little slower which I've attributed to pulling pictures (even when the pic setting is the fastest - albeit with pictures).

I like Eudoraweb for sites like this one (text-centric), but I'm running into the problem that Eudoraweb seems to "time out" after 30-40K of data. It processes that much and stops. I can never get complete pages of considerable length.

There doesn't appear to be any setting to change this.

Is EudoraWeb only intended to give you a brief "preview" of web pages?

I find that I use Blazer for most pages, Xiino for some (for example I absolutely cannot get Blazer to work consistently with Ebay), but would love to use Eudoraweb for forum sites...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Dan