1.    #1  
    Hey everybody,

I was one of the early, early adopters with the 180 and Voicestream, but returned it due to coverage in my area (Denver).

I am very interested in the new Sprint packages, but really like the tri-band features of my ATTWS service.

Dilemma:
    verizon/kyocera - tri band = good
    verizon/kyocera - numeric keypad (only) = bad

Sprint - Treo - Good
    Sprint - Treo - digital only - bad

I travel frequently with work, and also end up driving the I-70 corridor a couple of times a year.

Anyone with experiences to sway me in any direction?
    My other option is to get the treo as a blackberry-device, and continue my ATTWS as my cell phone. Doesn't converge me, but I get 2 great services...
    I travel a lot for work as well. I was also nervous about coverage. I used to have ATTWS and it have "coverage" almost everywhere. However the ATTWS was TERRIBLE in Washington DC. (Especially Northern VA). There are a ton of drop out areas on major highways,etc.

I switched to Sprint and have been very happy. The network in Washington DC is MUCH better than ATTWS and they have a solid signal all the way from DC to Blacksburg (on 81 which is not near a lot of large cities)

They only two places where I couldn't get service is Waynesboro, WV and RT 29 between Manassass, Va and Charlettesville. And it's in the middle of NOWHERE...

Places around the Denver Airport, Colorado Springs, SF, LAX, Cedar Rapids IA, State College, PA are all good.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Richlee on the DC info.

That is where my family is located (near Middleburg), and you're right - the coverage there was awful. I'm still nervous about losing so much coverage potential, but am leaning towards the Treo...

-Bill

PS - anyone know when the Kyo is supposed to be out?
    My solution for coverage issues has been to take advantage of the free add-a-phone with my $85 service plan and get a trimode phone (samsung a500) as a backup for the boonies. They share the minutes so it does not matter which one I use to talk on, it's all out of the same pool. The catch id that you would be off-network roaming at 0.69/min or buckets of 50 minutes for $10.
    Originally posted by badkins
    Hey everybody,

I was one of the early, early adopters with the 180 and Voicestream, but returned it due to coverage in my area (Denver).

I am very interested in the new Sprint packages, but really like the tri-band features of my ATTWS service.

Dilemma:
    verizon/kyocera - tri band = good
    verizon/kyocera - numeric keypad (only) = bad

Sprint - Treo - Good
    Sprint - Treo - digital only - bad

I travel frequently with work, and also end up driving the I-70 corridor a couple of times a year.

Anyone with experiences to sway me in any direction?
    My other option is to get the treo as a blackberry-device, and continue my ATTWS as my cell phone. Doesn't converge me, but I get 2 great services...
    The Kyocera 7135 has failed testing with Verizon. Kyocera and Verizon are working together to correct the issue(s) (whatever it/they may be). In short, this phone will make it onto the Verizon network, it just looks like it will be dealyed a bit (no ETA given). Rumors have the 7135 on Sprint's network sometime early next year.

With the 7135 being delayed on Verizon and Sprint offering unlimited Vision at such a low rate, I think I'm gonna forgo my plan of switching over to Verizon, pick up a Treo 300, and wait it out for the Kyocera 7135 or Samsung I700 to appear on the Sprint network.
    I've had Sprint service here in Colorado for over 2 years, and its been great, with a multiband phone. With my new Treo its been just fine as well, and I like the suggestion of adding a multiband phone for use in "bad" areas, or for times when you just don't want to take your Treo to a certain place (ie. like skiing, hunting, the beach. Those times you could just forward your main treo number to your addaphone number and you'd be covered.

Sprint works great up and down I 25 and on I70 as well.

DJ
    I briefly looked into T-mobile, and told the sales rep that I was concerned about the no analog roaming on T-mobile's network. The guy told me that in two years, everything is going to be digital anyway (no analog anymore). Is there any truth to that?

-Yvonne
    He is just guessing, he has no way of knowing that. Until carriers like Verizon have their digital network as large as their analog network, I suspect analog will still be around for quite some time to come, although obviously being used less and less as time passes.
    Analog will be around as long as the carriers have enough analog customers that the revenue is larger than the cost of maintaining the network... like most things
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    ...but aren't they working to replace all of their analog towers w/digital?
    FWIW, I switched from Verizon when it became clear that the Treo wasn't showing up on their network anytime soon. The keyboard is important for me - browsing and email without it are not something I enjoy.

I had some problems initially getting my account set up, but since then it's been smooth sailing - I haven't had any reception problems or anything that has made me regret the switch.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.