1.    #1  
    I have a new Handspring Treo 270. I find that I'm not always receiving notification when I have a voicemail waiting for me. This seems to happen when I'm traveling in an area where I'm going in and out of a coverage area. I called T-Mobile for help with this problem last night and the support person I spoke with in the Wireless Data Group hinted that this was a result of a known problem with the T-Mobile network and the way it talks to my phone. He actually told me that I'd have to switch the phone off and on again EVERY TIME I go from a no signal area into an area with coverage. Just the other day a voicemail was left for me at 2:30pm that I didn't get until 7:00pm Phone was on all day. I only received notification when I called my voicemail number to check my messages. While I was retreiving my messages the notifiaction came through... 4 1/2 hours after the message was left! It's bad enough that the voicemail envelope on the Treo isn't supported by T-Mobile in this market (Connecticut). I LOVE my Treo, but receiving motification of waiting voicemails is of the utmost importance. Anyone else having this problem?
    Bob

Yes, it is a problem with T-Mobile.

T-Mobile will not send the VoiceMail icon in all areas. They will however send an SMS message notifying that there is a VoiceMail, however this notification is not persistent and you may miss it. Some other carriers (Orange overseas) will send the icon. I don't know why T-Mobile doesn't.

There is, however, a third party solution. TreoAlert Manager.

I found it in PalmGear.com. Last time I checked it was $9.95.

It will persistently notify you with audible, visible, and / or vibrating alarms that you have an SMS including those that say you have a VoiceMail.

It works for me. I hope this helps you.

Unfortunately that won't help him. His problem is with the SMS never reaching his phone. Because of that TreoAlertMgr won't help.
  4.    #4  
    I guess I don't understand. When I was with Verizon I always got notified of waiting voicemail. If I was out of a coverage area I received an alert when I traveled back into one. ALWAYS. Same with Cingular. How can T-Mobile be considered a supplier of reliable wireless communications when they can't be relied on to deliver my important voicemail messages to me? Is there a fix in the works?
    Bob
    Originally posted by bambambam
    I guess I don't understand. When I was with Verizon I always got notified of waiting voicemail. If I was out of a coverage area I received an alert when I traveled back into one. ALWAYS. Same with Cingular. How can T-Mobile be considered a supplier of reliable wireless communications when they can't be relied on to deliver my important voicemail messages to me? Is there a fix in the works?
    FWIW that's the first I've ever heard of it, so it can't be too big a problem to too many people.
    I have had this problem also. If you recieve a voicemail message when you are in very low/no signal area, (and in the Chicago area there are many...) you are never notified of the messgae.
  7.    #7  
    I think that's exactly what's happening to me here in CT. By the nature of T-Mobile's coverage here, I'm almost always going in and out of coverage areas. Reliable and dependable it's not.
    Bob
    Hi!

I have a Treo 180 and managed to get activated on ATT Wireless here in Sacramento area.

Voice coverage is great so far.

But I have no outgoing SMS (what is the SMS contact phone number???).

And I get no Voicemail notification ... where is this icon supposed to appear?

Anyone else out there on ATT?

Thanks!

...Terry.
    tgauch@yahoo.com
    ...Terry.
  9.    #9  
    Terry - the voicemail icon is supposed to appear next to the signal strength indicator, but T-Mobile does not support the icon. The only way you are notified of a waiting voicemail is by receipt of a SMS message. If you're in a low signal area youi are out of luck and out of touch. I understand that the icon works correctly on the 270 on some other carriers, maybe it works on your system. Call your carrier and ***** about it. It didn't do me any good but maybe your experience will be different.
    Bob
    Well... I hear the GPRS upgrade will fix the voicemail icon indicator ... at least with a GPRS provider like ATT.

Now if I could only work up the nerve to do the upgrade.

Wish there was a rollback method! Anybody?

...Terry
    tgauch@yahoo.com
    ...Terry.