1.    #1  
    Hi Guys

I sold my Treo 650 exactly 5 years ago to the week, but before selling took a full backup (in fact quite a few over the year I had it) which I saved to CD.

I now have purchased another Treo 650 and will restore my backup from 5 years ago - I don't foresee any issues... I am looking forward to this.

Got one off eBay for $20 with 2 batteries. Are they SO unpopular now? As I recall they were fantastic devices. $20??? It's almost junk price.

If I can sync exchange via GPRS on this device it will be great - gmail / google contacts / google calendar on the move... it's all I need.

Look forward to using it over the next few years, and hearing that "clocher" alarm clock again

PS.A Big thank you to the guys at treocentral for helping me with my password issue!!
    -----------------------
    palmOne Treo 650 GSM 01.31 / 1.13
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Glad to hear you came back, I switched to WM PPC, had two of them, never did like them, I just came back to a Treo 755P, I started with a Palm pilot IIIe, then moved to a Treo 300, got some samsung phone with Palm on it, finlly got a 650, I loved that thing, it worked great for a few years, then started to give me trouble, I took it to Sprint, I had insurance, they sold me on a Centro, didn't get along well with it, mostly because my thumb is litteraly as big as a the keyboard, couldn't type on it, so I mad ethe mistake of switching to WinMo, I am so glad I came back to Treos.
    There is a prohgram called GooSync, it works pretty good to sync you calendar, and contacts with Google, it uses the internet to sync, you can set it up to automatic sync and set the internols, and what time of mourning to start and what time of night to stop, I used it for quite a wile, I just stopped using it because I need my memos and it will not sync those, it will sync musltiple canendars if you use more then one, I think there is a free version that will sync just one calendar, don't know if that version will sync contacts or not.
    Terry
  3.    #3  
    Hi Terry

Yes, got goosync and it works just great!

My restore (from mid/late 2005) went fine, and the 650 only needed cleaning up some databases with dbScan to get up and running. I have the odd crash with applications but nothing major and nothing random. All my old favourites... butler, clocher, agendus pro.. all work great.... sigh... lovely

I do however have an issue that I haven't yet solved completely.

Agendus Mail (upgraded to v5.41*) handles all my SMS but as I have about 1400 SMS or so (and wish to keep them) it is very slow. I used PXAClocker to push Agendus Mail to 390MHZ (the max before freezing) and it's noticeably faster but still sluggish. Any way of speeding it up?? I really want to keep these old messages handy...

I purchased a Centro recently and HATED it. It is junk.. sorry but it feels like a piece of cheap plastic and creaky and the stylus.. ughhh really demonstrates how Palm thought of that model. Junk, junk. junk.

So I'll stick with the 650.. and maybe migrate sometime to a 680.

I genuinely am happy with the 650, and have no desire to get the latest and greatest smartphone. I realize that the 650 (esp. now with Goosync) does everything I need in a phone. Alarms, Organiser with Google sync, Snappermail (superb product), DTG (which I use quite a bit). It's perfect EXCEPT for speed. I'd love a PXA 270 624MHZ.

I'd pay $500 in a heartbeat for a 624MHZ 650 with more NVFS RAM, but I'm stuck with PXAClocker (which has REALLY helped me I must admit). I'm always down to the last 4% (1MB) of RAM

My Treo came with 1.71/1.20 and the "new" SIM holder, I suspect it is a later production model and it seems very hard to overclock past 400MHZ. My early 2005 650 would overclock past 500MHZ nicely. So, perhaps I'll hunt down a few more 650's and get lucky.

*nice because Agendus Mail now shows the year of the SMS, before it just displayed the month/day.
    Last edited by roguetrooper; 05/26/2011 at 02:53 AM.
    -----------------------
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I am glad Goosync works for you, I did like using it, nice to know that once an appointment had been made it would be synced without worry, problem I started having was that it started duplicating email address, so I would have the same email, and sometimes physical address in several fields, but I am wondering if that might have been something to do with windows mobile, I had been using a PPC, what a peice of junk that OS is.
    I moved to a Treo 755, glad to be back to PalmOS, it is like an old friend, you might consider a 755, mine seams to run better then my 650 did, and has the memory of the Centro, I had a centro, I liked it, but my hands are way to big to use that little keyboard, it was an excersize in frustration for me each time I needed to use it, I got the pen stylis for it and that made it much better, and quite handy too, I have been thinking of getting one for my 755.
    I have never used Agendus email, and have no experience with over clocking so no help there from me, sorry!
    Anyway glad you got the new (to you) 650 up and running.
    Terry
  5.    #5  
    755 is not GSM ((
    That always annoyed me!!!
    -----------------------
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I just looked at the specs, it looks to me like the 680 is the GSM version of the 755...or visaversa.
    Terry
  7.    #7  
    Thanks... I see the 680 has EDGE and more RAM.

I just purchased an untested one from eBay for $20 (no charger) lets keep fingers crossed
    -----------------------
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Let us know how it works, it should use the same charger as all the rest of the treo/centros.
    I bought my 755s from bidallies on ebay, so far I have been happy with their customer service, I had a problem with one of them, they just told me to send it back and they would replace it, they did, but I plugged a head set into it and the jack messed up so now so sound from the speakers on the device, from what I have been able to find this is a common problem, so I guess I will not use a wired headset with them again, I am going to get a set of bluetooth headphones, and a program, can't remember what it is right now, I have it bookmarked, that will send sterio to the headphones, anyway I have contacted bidallies about it, I haven't had it that long, we will see what they do about it.
    Like I said let us know how it works out, and good luck.
    Terry