1.    #1  
    The Palm OS version on my Treo 300 that I just bought yesterday is v. 3.5.2H6.0. Is this what everyone else has? Is the Treo 300 Palm OS version upgradable?

Thanks,
    Yvonne

P.S. Can someone please point me to a Treo 300 FAQ online?
    i can vouch for my unit having the same version of Palm OS and i would imagine all other units have the same.

why? because currently, the OS is not upgradeable.

as far as a FAQ goes, if searching for a "Treo 300 FAQ" on google doesnt turn up any hits, then you're reading the treo 300 faq right now...

-scott
    The Palm OS world is in a transitional phase between the current Palm OS 3.x/4.x and Palm OS 5.0. The only real reason for having Palm OS 4.0 is to gain VFS support for an SD/MMC slot. So there is little reason for upgrading a Treo 300 to Palm OS 4.0 as it does not have an SD slot. The other small changes in Palm OS 4.0 are not signifigant IMHO.

Palm OS 5.0 is all about ARM chips and architecture. The nearest comparison is the difference between Mac OS 9.x and Mac OS 10.x. The latter is essentially BSD Unix and is only visually similar to its former cousin and related in terms of basic functions.

Palm OS 5.0 is a pretty major departure from former versions in terms of the underlying hardware but in terms of function and looks it is almost identical to Palm OS 4.0. In other words, you need new hardware to run Palm OS 5.0 and there will be a noticeable difference in speed and performance and some abillities such as MP3 decoding not possible with the current Dragonball chips.

I suspect that the Treo 300 is ROM flashable and will have incremental ROM builds with bug fixes and improvements. So in that respect I am hopeful that new software will appear to enhance mine.
    What kinda FAQs you want? I saw these on Handspring's site in the Treo 300 section (which are actually informative, as opposed to other "fluff pieces" I've seen try to pass as FAQs on other sites) ...

http://www.handspring.com/products/treo300/faq.jhtml

And these are FAQs about PCS Vision (er, um, a "fluff piece") ...

http://www.pcsvision.com/faq.html

Anyway, those two are pretty basic top-level type links that I'm sure smart gals & fellas like you have already found. So, sorry for the repeat if it's a repeat of stuff you've already seen.
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    The only real reason for having Palm OS 4.0 is to gain VFS support for an SD/MMC slot. So there is little reason for upgrading a Treo 300 to Palm OS 4.0 as it does not have an SD slot. The other small changes in Palm OS 4.0 are not signifigant IMHO.
    This is not true, but it is a widely held opinion. In actuality, there are several small, but significant changes in the web clipping architecture that were made in 4.x. As such, it is possible that new PQAs are being developed to take advantage of those new features which will only be compatible with 4.x devices (most notably the i705).

I would suggest that everyone hound Handspring on this issue. Unfortunately, I suspect that the primary reason why we aren't seeing 4.x on the Treo communicators (but are on the Treo 90) is because web clipping is a Palm Inc. technology and supporting it (indirectly) could (in their minds) diminish demand for Blazer. I hope they reconsider, though, because there's some neat stuff that can be done via web clipping. All that being said, now that unlimited 2.5G data is cheap, the need for more efficient wireless methods (e.g. - web clipping) becomes less apparent.

Scott