Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody have any experience with this mini antenna on eBay? Curious as to whether it will affect reception at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1389262982
    My "more-than-educated" guess would be that it's a waste of money.
    Might be worth it, if you really really don't like the antenna sticking out. Taking off my antenna doesn't really hurt reception that much, so this nub might be a good buy.
    Just how does one remove the antenna from a Treo 300? Mine is loose and rotates freely, but doesn't appear to unscrew.

Also, from looking at the mini antenna web site, I wonder if the antenna isn't optimized for 900MHz GSM. It does specify this frequency on one page.

Geoffrey
  5.    #5  
    I don't think you can optimize an antenna for a specific frequency, it's just a piece of metal.

Maybe 900 MHz is the most used frequency in Germany, and that's why they mention it specifically.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    I don't think you can optimize an antenna for a specific frequency, it's just a piece of metal.

Maybe 900 MHz is the most used frequency in Germany, and that's why they mention it specifically.
    Actually I read somewhere that the size does kinda correspond to an optimal frequency, which makes sense. The more wavelengths an antenna covers the better.
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Just how does one remove the antenna from a Treo 300? Mine is loose and rotates freely, but doesn't appear to unscrew.
    Geoffrey
    Oh, I'm not sure with the 300. On my 180 it just comes right off.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Actually I read somewhere that the size does kinda correspond to an optimal frequency, which makes sense. The more wavelengths an antenna covers the better.

Antenna length is very imortant to the frequency used.
    the object of 'tuning' an antenna is to produce a resonant frequency within the antenna, thus, creating a Db Gain. you can actually increase the aparent wattage of the signal by how well turned the antenna is.

a basic formula for the length to use is Length(in feet)= 491.8 over the Frequency (in Mhz)

or

L = -------
    Fq

the basic idea of antenna length is to make the Fq wave of the signal match up with the phase of the antenna.

there are hundreds of other factors determaning the width, length and shape of antennas, but its all boring.

depending on what country you live in, the frequency can be anything.

a nice book to read is 'The ARRL Antenna Book'
    its about 900 pages of mind-numbing fun.
    Last edited by adderx99; 10/18/2002 at 01:21 PM.
    I love my Treo 90.
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    My "more-than-educated" guess would be that it's a waste of money.
    I totally agree, antena's & signal boster circuits are a big waste of money. They do diddly squat on the signal enhancement.
    I just got this from Ebay. The company is from Germany.
    The antenna is about 1/4 inch shorter from the bottom where it goes in.

The signal is about the same as before, but now the antenna no longer sticks out, so I could put it in my pocket.

So this antenna does not improve signal just the size
    I just got the mini-antenna... I can't seem to remove my antenna from my Treo 270. I tried pulling it and I tried unscrewing it... Can someone tell me how they unscrewed their antenna? Thanks.
    The miniantenna is for only the Treo 180 which has a screwed in antenna. I'm not sure if the 270 has a different antenna
    Just a bit of info. If you transmit on an antena that is not cut to transmit on your phones freq. you will burn up the transmiter faster. So if you send it in for work better put the stock one back on. Size does matter hehe.
    I have just received my mini-antenna, but after struggling with the Treo's standard antenna... I had no success. So finnally I took a pair of pliers and just started pulling at it. It came out, but I basically ripped it out. You see, my Treo didn't have a screw in antenna. So before you order a mini-antenna, make sure you can unscrew the one you have. I have now crazy glued it on and it works fine...
    I think only the Treo 180 has the screw-in antenna.
    The website list only the Treo 180 and not the other models
    I've got a 270, and the antenna just screws out. It was screwed in a bit tighter than the one on my 180.
    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
    300 has a screw-in antenna as well...
    Originally posted by ajchenmph
    300 has a screw-in antenna as well...
    The antenna in my Treo 300 (both my first one and it's replacement) don't appear to unscrew. As a matter of fact, my first 300's antenna got very loose and would freely turn, but not unscrew and come out.

Geoffrey
    My first treo which didn't unscrew was part of the first batch. The second one does unscrew. I found out that handspring had a bad batch of 300's also. My brother and I both brought treos and whenever we would get an SMS the unit would make a funny noise. We purchased the phones at circuit city but, took the phone to sprint and they did a diagnostic test and said the phones were bad. I guess we were lucky they swapped it out for new ones and we didn't even purchase it from sprint. The store is in NJ. I live in NY and I know they would never have swapped it out for me that is why I went to NJ. I wasn't able to find out how you can tell if it is from the 1st or 2nd batch. Maybe someone on the board knows how. I wonder if they antenna screwing determines which batch it is?
    my treo 300 unscrews

the first time was very hard to unscrew it seem to turn but not unscrew because they use some sort of locktite or somethin in the screw threads

but now it unscrews easily

cant wait for my mini antenna i think this is great
    Ive always thought the standard antenna is huge and bulky and sticks out like a sore thumb

anyone have a picture of this on a treo 300?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast