Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just wondering how many of you out there are using the standard sms program or do you use another one, preferably one that can send multiple addressees in sms

thanx
    ARE there any alternative SMS apps for Palm OS? Hmmm, interesting. What are they? Where can one obtain them?
    And for EMS? I read HS work hard on it but I can't find anything!
    Any idea?
    I am using Visor phone with Visor Pro and I find its SMS application powerfull enough. I have a habit to use SMS to send meeting invitation to all my group member. With Visor Phone I feel the satisfaction utilizing it.

I still use my visor phone although I've just bought a Treo 270. As a SMS user I found it very dissapointing. The following is part of dexcription on Treo 270 functionality "You cannot send an SMS message to multiple email recipients with the built-in SMS application in Treo communicators".

Is there any available SMS application that can work with Treo 270 ?.

I have tested FunSMS and Multi SMS. Both work well with Visor Phone but can not work with Treo 270.
  5.    #5  
    so i guess us 270 users are stuck with the standard sms program which is so neantherthal and slow.....sigh

handspring people...can u do something about it??? anyone???
    If you like - give maxTEXT Treo Edition a try on your GSM-Treo:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...?&prodID=43763

Group Messaging will be included via the
    existing smiley icons in the soon upcoming V 1.3

Regards Markus

Until then this is already working:
    Easily fill your 1000 char Message-Text to the Clipboard and Paste it to the Friends-Members...
    I tried MaxTEXT, and yes, it is ok, but it is missing a vital thing. It does not read info from the Contact list. You have to duplicate your entire phone book into it's friends Database. If you don't, you can't see who sent the message, only the number. It also does not have a 'lookup' function to convert those numbers into names.

The Current TREO SMS has a problem that if you only have the First name, the SMS received only returns the number, and not the name.

I hate duplicating data.....
  8.    #8  
    quote:

The Current TREO SMS has a problem that if you only have the First name, the SMS received only returns the number, and not the name.

I know what you mean. and it doesn't locate phone numbers if you do not label them as mobile phone numbers...how stupid...
    Originally posted by Splezunk
    I tried MaxTEXT, and yes, it is ok, but it is missing a vital thing. It does not read info from the Contact list. You have to duplicate your entire phone book into it's friends Database. If you don't, you can't see who sent the message, only the number. It also does not have a 'lookup' function to convert those numbers into names.

Hello Splezunk !

If you would contact the developers -
    they would include that feature for you on their Todo-List.

Like they did with the Dial-Out Option - the Memopad-Option -
    The Addessbook Auto Import Option and the 1000 Char Messages in the last 2 months they did before.

So write to: maxTEXT@LH-consultants.de

Regards Markus
    Originally posted by MarkusSchneider

Hello Splezunk !

If you would contact the developers -
    they would include that feature for you on their Todo-List.

Like they did with the Dial-Out Option - the Memopad-Option -
    The Addessbook Auto Import Option and the 1000 Char Messages in the last 2 months they did before.

So write to: maxTEXT@LH-consultants.de

Regards Markus

FYI - BTW - all these features are implemented already -
    although the customer-requests for the listed above are no 3 months old for every feature.

kind regards -
    "it is only input - that refines our concept"

Markus
    Does MaxText supports delivery reports for sms sent? Like those in Nokia/Siemens phones? I was using a Nokia 9210 in the past and the sms program reports on the delivery status of each sms. I find this feature extremely useful but sadly lacking in the Treo SMS program.
    Originally posted by Bbonnn
    ARE there any alternative SMS apps for Palm OS? Hmmm, interesting. What are they? Where can one obtain them?
    I am demo'ing MAXText.
    I find the most useful feature is the friends list.
    I really like the fact you can HotSync your messages to Memopad on your Palm Desktop (and read them in the Desktop too!) - Unlike HS SMS app.

Probably the only thing I do not like are the (what I would call), non-standard icons and unprofessional screens. Perhaps not ideal for a commercial venture.
    Another thing is that your SMS card is queried every time you move from the inbox to another folder and back again.

Size is not too much of an issue:
    MAXText = 213kb
    HS SMS = 156kb

To answer another post... No, you do not have to duplicate all your contacts to use MAXText. What would be the point of that?
    I'm trying out MaxText and saw that it could move SMSs to memo fields individually, but I really want to dump ALL of my 2 month SMS history to multiple Memo files (or one big DOC file) to preserve it, then purge the old ones. Anyone know if this it possible?

Thanks!
    People seem to say that you don't need to duplicate your contacts....

If this is so, then how do you get MaxTEXT to recognise the numbers as names without copying all your contacts into Friends? It is one thing saying you don't have to, now prove it.
  15. p03
    Originally posted by bumberbee
    just wondering how many of you out there are using the standard sms program or do you use another one, preferably one that can send multiple addressees in sms

thanx
    If you mean multiple phone numbers, I read that it's possible by separating them with a comma. Not with e-mail addresses, though.

I'm not a Treo owner... but think of becoming one soon.
    Hi there !

maxTEXT 1.29 is out now - we have listened to
    the great + nice feedback from the previous Treo
    beta program and now have also included:

* Signatures for Messages
    * Name / Number Resolution for incoming Messages
    (Base is the Palm-Addressbook)

* Delivery Reports / Status Reports
    (maxTEXT base, not on TE)

The next larger step will be group messaging in the soon upcoming V 1.3.

FYI: yes maxTEXT is GSM centric - as GSM has SMS-Messages running on more the 720 million mobile GSM-devices worldwide
    for more than 12 years now, so with this version the GSM Treos(270+180) are supported, not the Sprint Treo 300 which sadly has no GSM-Submodule - just FYI.

Regards Markus

Get it from PalmGear or Handango + Test it + Have Fun !

http://www.maxTEXT.net
    http://www.maxTEXT.com
    Looks like you've got a great product, but before I download, I have a question. Does this program intercept incoming SMS from the standrad SMS from handspring. Is that configurable on or off?

Also, can I send SMS to ANYTHING? ie, email addy, mobile number, pager number (skytel pagers support SMS). Thanks!
    I have been trying MaxText for about a week now and, maybe I am missing something, but I find it hard to believe this is currently the best sms option for the Treo 270.

Where is this supposed "group messaging" functionality? I have v1.3 but do not see any option for sending to multiple recipients. Also, it only grabs mobile numbers from address book...what about other pager addressess (in the form of email address) or email addresses. Basically, I think it should bring up your ENTIRE address book and let you add the DESIRED contact fields to your "friends" list. Then when addressing a message, let you simply keep adding recipients to the TO field. Add these options and you have a very useable app.

Actually, the closest I have seen (although doesn't seem to work yet on the Treo) is FunSMS. Although it is a little too "cutesy" for my liking, it is very good about group messaging. The adres lookup still filters out certain fields, though (I forget which ones). Their website say they will be beta testing a treo version soon. Guess I'll have to wait.

I guess my rant just begs the question..."is it really that hard to get a good, feature-rich sms client that allows you to send to multiple people and choose what type of address you are sending to???

Just my 2cents...
    -Joe
    I purchased used Emood messenger on my Clie and have now got a Treo 180. i would really like to be able to use it on my Treo also........ without having to use it via another phone and IR port!

It is really a great sms/ems application but needs updating for use with connected organisors!

Otherwise i have a $25 application that I cant use efficiently!
    Originally posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

Where is this supposed "group messaging" functionality? I have v1.3 but do not see any option for sending to multiple recipients.
    hi -

...click on the smiley icon in the Friends view to start group messaging

...read the Readme-File for further instructions

http://www.maxtext.net

"...10 independent groups unlimited in member numbers..."

regards Markus

FYI:
    maxTEXT V 1.31 is out ... see handango + palmgear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast