Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Since my previous post I had read the doc and learned of the smile faces, but that only allows me to add phone numbers. I need to be able to add two-way pager addressses for skytel, and email addresses. I use my Treo for work and unfortunately, not all of my colleagues use real sms, so I need the ability to use email-style addressing.

On a side note, maxtext does allow you to send messages longer tha 160 characters, which is fantastic, but is it possible to receive longer messages? My problem is everyone is accustomed to their skytels and never remember that messages to me need to be shorter. This is the only embarassing shortcoming of the Treo, otherwise they are all extremely jealous of my "toy".

Thanks for all the help!

-Joe
    QUOTE]Originally posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    ... I need to be able to add two-way pager addressses for skytel, ...

Thanks for all the help!

-Joe
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Joe,

I am not sure what a skytel is but if you mark
    any numbers / like your skytel numbers / to be
    "mobile" numbers in your standard address-book
    they will appear in maxtext as well in its addressbook view
    (shows only the "mobile"-classified numbers).

if skytel has alphanumeric addresses - thats
    currently a problem as maxTEXT is GSM centric
    and GSM addresses by numbers for short messages.

So if these skytel (pagers ?) are addressable
    by numbers through your SMS-provider maybe this helps ?

Markus
    This is a major problem of MaxText. Why would I want to re-tag all of my email addresses as mobile numbers so that Maxtext can "see" them. Maxtext should be changed to look at email addresses and mobile numbers. If I re-tag them, then my email program won't see them.

The author of maxtext should fix this.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    This is a major problem of MaxText. Why would I want to re-tag all of my email addresses as mobile numbers so that Maxtext can "see" them. Maxtext should be changed to look at email addresses and mobile numbers. If I re-tag them, then my email program won't see them.

The author of maxtext should fix this.
    I think it is more a problem of the different providers,
    as not every provider on planet allows to send email by sms
    (not every has a gateway for that) and not every provider
    has a same implemented gateway to address pagers etc.
    so maxtext doesnt include services that are somehow "local".

best i think would be contacting the developers.

Markus
    Last edited by MarkusSchneider; 04/14/2003 at 06:39 PM.
    I agree with Appleman, we should not have to recategorize our contacts as that will affect other applications. MaxText does allow you to send to an email address, but it does need to be classified as mobile in address book....why? Why does Maxtext care who I am sending to? It is obviously capable, so why put in this limitation??? Why not show and make available the entire address book and let me choose. Also, even when addresses are classified as mobile, you cannot add to friends list unlist address is pure sms (numbers only). Again, why the limitation??

Also, this "grouping" function is OK, but only if you ALWAYS send to the same groups of people, otherwise you have to re-edit your group before sending. How about just selecting from your full address book as many recipients as you want (with whatever addressing format you require) on a per-message basis????

The only software I have seen which seems to function as I think it should (but not yet on the Treo....kept crashing) is FunSMS. Although annoyingly "cutesy" , it seems to have the desired functionality, although it is missing the "export to memo" function which i love about Maxtext. Sigh.

Also, yes, skytel is a pager service using motorola pagers. Their addressing is in ####@skytel.com. I can send an sms to just the number, but the recipient is then unable to reply, so I need to send it in "email" fashion. Very frustratiing....wish they would all just buy a Treo!
    I wrote the developers with my suggestions, and almost fell out of my chair when I received a real response inside of 20 minutes. Here is an excerpt:

"There will be a "Multi-Selection" Button straight
    in the "Friends" view in one of the next major updates
    for bypassing (+ additional to) the Group-Mechanism /
    for a more easy sending of speedy multi-receiver-messages.

Also the Email-Inclusion and addressing of
    "Email-Contactable Pagers" for maxTEXT TE (Treo Edition)
    is on our current Todo List and will be out in one
    of the next releases, as well as the Bluetooth- and
    WLAN-Inclusion (not for the Treos sadly, but maxTEXT
    sells for standard Palms as well) and encrypted secure SMS
    from maxTEXT to maxTEXT-device.

You will then be able to configure to see the
    SMS-Numbers in the Friends-View only (like now),
    or additional with Email-Addresses or additional
    with Pager-Numbers+Emails.

We dont comment and give solid timelines on unfinished
    features, but I think you can exspect to see these functions
    in 2Q/2003 to 3Q/2003.

Receiving long messages is a bit more specific to
    the used environment of different network-providers
    but is as well on our ToDo-List for the near future."

Obviously I was not the first to make those suggestions. Seems like a bit of light on the horizon.....

-Joe
    Thanks for contacting the developers and addressing many of the same concerns and "wishes" that I have for maxText. I am encouraged to see that they are paying attention to end user comments and that they are hoping to address them in the near future.

My wish list:
    address SMS mesages to standard e-mail addresses, Skytel, etc.
    receive longer SMS messages
    multiple addressees

If they can add these features, I'm in love!

Thanks again and please post again to the discussion board if your receive any updates and/or when a new version is released.

Glenn
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12