1. Puk
    So I was messing around with my Treo 300 this morning, and somehow got it stuck in a state where it would keep rebooting continously. And quickly. basically, the screen would flash like during a normal reset, the palm logo would show up, and within 1 second it would reset again. Eventually I gave up and hard reset it, and restored from palm desktop.

(Incidentally, when I hard reset, I always lose a few apps and settings. I need to remember what those are and set the backup bit on them.)

Now that I'm booted again, Blazer and Xiino both immediately crash with a "Fatal Alert" dialog that says "Fatal Exception" and has a reset button. Other applications (including network applications) work fine. This might be related to my hacks being in a weird state since both trapweaver and evplugbase are two of the apps that didn't get reinstalled. Unfortunately, since I can't boot Xiino, I won't be able to reinstall them until I get home and can HotSync.

Any ideas what might cause this? I'm going to mess around with pz'ing my hacks and removing them to see if I can get anything useful to happen. Thanks.

-Puk
    It sounds like you have pushed the reset button too hard and now it is stuck inside the back of the phone.
  3. Puk
    Originally posted by NOFEARPI
    It sounds like you have pushed the reset button too hard and now it is stuck inside the back of the phone.
    That was my first thought too, but that wasn't it, since a hard reset (accomplished by just holding down up, since it was resetting anyway) fixed it without any mechanical changes. Also, multiple times, I pushed the reset button myself, and it had an immediate effect (pushing it multiple times quickly rebooted it multiple times quickly). Finally, holding the button in manually has a different effect -- the screen stays blank until you let go.

Also, I'm less worried about what caused it and more worried about how I can get my apps stable again. Incidentally, my Blazer is currently in RAM instead of Flash. It has been like that for a while with no ill effects, and no changes recently, but if I get desperate, I may restore my flash from backup too.

Thanks.

-Puk
    Applications that crash upon soft reset are usually those applications that try to attach themselves to the system upon startup. The way they do this is via an attribute called 'Reset on install' - the Treo resets when you install or receive the file by beam for the first time.

You have two ways to fix this:

1. The needle in the haystack...

You can prevent all such 'reset on install' or system extension file files from loading by performing a warm reset. Press and hold up scroll button and then perform a pin reset. Dont let go of the up scroll buton until you see the palm powered logo. You will be in a 'safe mode' after doing this with only some service available. The trick is to remove the application causing the crash - this is usually the last one installed.

System extension files dont always show up in the Delete list in the Launcher. Use BeamBox or z'Catalog to nuke these files instead.

Once you nuke the bad file, reset the device again via normal pin reset to get the Treo back to normal and also see if your surgery worked. This is very much trial and error work if you are not sure of the culprit.

2. Start with a clean Treo and add back only the known-good stuff

I prefer this method. Hard reset the Treo and BEFORE you HotSync all your data back, go to the Backup folder within your user folder and cut all the files from the Backup folder to a different location. Now HotSync your data back and by means of the Install tool re-install only those files that you know you need from the copy of the Backup folder.

You may have to do something a little different of you use BackupBuddy - I dont know it but I presume that you turn off the conduit to make sure it does not restore everything.

Believe me you will end up with a much more stable device by doing this house cleaning procedure before you restore everything back via HotSync.

Problems generally come from conflicting hacks, carrying over files from older Palm devices that dont belong on the Treo, bad entries in the Saved Preferences file (like the 'registry' on a Palm OS device) or just plain buggy software.

Sorry for the longwinded post :-)
    I suffered through the exact same sort of crash about 2 weeks ago. After restoring everything after the hard reset, I had a couple of apps that didn't work. Just re-installing the apps cured all. My T300 has been working fine ever since.
  6. Puk
    Just to clarify, I'm not worried about what caused the instant-reset loop. What I'm worried about is the fact that Blazer and Xiino were crashing after I did a hard reset and restore.

So since then, I did some more stuff. First I did a hard reset, and restored my flash setup. So now Blazer was back in flash. Did another hard reset again (you have to after you do that), moved my Backup pack palm stuff to install piece-by-piece, and started up. Going to ringer preferences after my first sync rebooted the palm. So I installed ringo (had it before this whole thing), and did a "clear radio". That fixed ringer preferences crash. Blazer no longer crashed after this sync. I installed Xiino. Run it -- crash (just like before).

So what could be causing this? I have almost nothing installed. Are there any preferences/databases that would have survived the Backup directory cleaning, that could be freaking out Xiino? I noticed that even with no backup files, my phone numbers were still all there (they seem to have their own directory). My speed-dials were gone, though -- no biggie.

So if anyone has any more ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

-Puk
    Last edited by Puk; 10/17/2002 at 03:53 PM.