1.    #1  
    I'm on my second unit after the first had the notorious backlight problem, and considered myself comparatively lucky given the amount of units some people on here had been through. My second unit was sent just before the recall so it was part of the same batch as those with the faulty backlights. I thought after three months my second unit must be sound -- alas, it died at the weekend.

I am now torn between demanding a refund and taking a gamble on a third unit. I love the Treo when it works, it is easily the best-designed phone/PDA on the market, but I just don't trust the things any more.

Are the post-recall devices reliable? Would I be better off asking for the "world" model (I currently have the original European machine)?

Cheers,

Loccy
    Originally posted by Loccy

I'm on my second unit after the first had the notorious backlight problem,

I am now torn between demanding a refund and taking a gamble on a third unit. I love the Treo when it works, it is easily the best-designed phone/PDA on the market, but I just don't trust the things any more.

Are the post-recall devices reliable? Would I be better off asking for the "world" model (I currently have the original European machine)?

Loccy

I am on my third unit Loccy also because of the backlight problem, and right now I "definitely" understand how you feel. Not knowing when and where it will conk out gives you the jitters.
    Since the Treo is one great gadget, I suggest you take your chances with the third unit. Pass on the headache to Handspring, let them keep on replacing your unit for as long as it takes. When your 1 year warranty is almost over...that's the time you start worrying.
    I had two post-recall units but unfortunately, both unit's screen still failed. I doubt if the unit being a European or a World phone would matter whether it will have the backlight screen problem or not. If you travel a lot outside Europe, then the world phone would definitely work to your advantage in terms of usability.