1.    #1  
    Hello. I've been using treo 300 for a week. I really love it so far.

Question is about smtp auth. for regular POP3 email address. I've read about using "smtp.sprintpcs.com".
    I have to use "smtp.sprintpcs.com" and smtp auth., right?

I'm using ".mac" email address with mail.mac.com as POP server, smtp.mac.com as SMTP server. And it seems working fine.
    Is this ok? or still should I use "smtp.sprintpcs.com"?

Since I wanna use Japanese character, I can't use regular email software such as Eudora or Snapper.

Although I can use some mailers which can handle Japanese character, I don't have much choice. Especially if I have to use different id & password(from pop account) for smtp auth.

Please someone let me know I can use my .mac smtp server, or I have to use sprintpcs smtp server to send my regular pop3 email.

Thanks.
    Hi,

From the reports we've been getting SnapperMail should work okay with Japanese character sets. SnapperMail supports character sets of all Palm OS devices, I know it works with European localizations as well as Korean. Try it out and let know know if it works in Japanese.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  3.    #3  
    >snapperfish

Thank you for the infomation. I'm sure that Snapper Mail is very good enough to use as everyday mailer.

But still I wanna know about smtp auth.

".mac" account needs to be autherized by the same id & password as pop account. So even when I use .mac smtp server, still I have to use smtp auth anyway. I guess that's why I can send a mail without auth. of "sprintpcs.com" Is this right? Am I missing something? Should I use smtp.sprintpcs.com for smtp server even I've been able to send mails through .mac's smtp server?
    Still I'm not sure about this kind of process in treo and vision.

Anyone little help?
    Originally posted by coelacanth

Should I use smtp.sprintpcs.com for smtp server even I've been able to send mails through .mac's smtp server?
    No, you don't need to bother with sprint's smtp server if you aren't currently having problems sending mail.

FWIW, SMTP AUTH is not specific to Treo or Vision. It provides a way to open up an SMTP server to a wide range of IP addresses without running the risk of being abused as an "open relay". If you're still curious, I'm sure a Google search for "smtp auth" or "open relay" would generate lots of hits
    I've just got my Treo 300. I installed Snapperfish. I'm able to check email, but I get an error when trying to send using mail.mac.com

The sen or receive did not complete successfully. Viewing the log:
    socket closed by peer (0x1214)
    Failed to authorize to SMTP server on account. Server replied socket closed by peer (0x1214). Error caught during communications.

Any suggestions? Any recommendations on "the best" email client. I'd love to have regular checking and notifications.

thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by coelacanth
    >snapperfish

Thank you for the infomation. I'm sure that Snapper Mail is very good enough to use as everyday mailer.

But still I wanna know about smtp auth.

".mac" account needs to be autherized by the same id & password as pop account. So even when I use .mac smtp server, still I have to use smtp auth anyway. I guess that's why I can send a mail without auth. of "sprintpcs.com" Is this right? Am I missing something? Should I use smtp.sprintpcs.com for smtp server even I've been able to send mails through .mac's smtp server?
    Still I'm not sure about this kind of process in treo and vision.

Anyone little help?
    I have .mac.com as well, and I do not use sprint smtp, i use smtp.mac.com and it works beautifully. If you're concerned that it may not be working, try sending an email to yourself from your treo and see if it comes through.
    I did and that's the error message i get. I checked my SMTP Settings. Everything looks a-ok. ??
    Originally posted by chrism
    I did and that's the error message i get. I checked my SMTP Settings. Everything looks a-ok. ??
    All I can suggest is that you make sure you are using smtp.mac.com and not using mail.mac.com. You mentioned above that you were using "mail.mac.com" and so first I'd switch that.
    that was it. I feel like such a dope. Made the change and it works like a champ. Do they plan to support IMAP?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm new to sprintpcs. Able to send fine on treo 300 (using Multimail; getting pop email from mindspring), but setting up smtp.sprintpcs.com give consistent error: 550 5.7.1 Relaying not allowed: xxx@xxx.com (where xxx@xxx.com is my non sprint email address that i normally use). The strange thing is that I've made sure that the ONLY email address showing for BOTH this multimail server account AND the email account on sprint's website (for email) is my sprintpcs address. Any help would be most appreciated....
    If smtp.sprintpcs.com refuses you, with a message about 'relaying', you need to use smtp authentication.

Configure SMTP auth using your sprint email/vision username and password. The mail client you use must support SMTP auth.
    If you do that, the sprintpcs smtp server should allow you send any/all emails.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks!-- That finally got it. Turns out that Multimail does *not* support smtp authentication. This was never a problem when using it with verizon, but appears to be an issue with Sprint. Eudora works fine (although I'll miss the ability to read MS Word attachments with the multimail plugin)....
    Well, for mac.com users and others, we put up a page for configuring SnapperMail to some common email services.

We have a ton of mac.com users and they happily send using the smtp.mac.com server. (SnapperMail supports SMTP Auth)

Anyway, here's the page.
    http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    Well, for mac.com users and others, we put up a page for configuring SnapperMail to some common email services.

We have a ton of mac.com users and they happily send using the smtp.mac.com server. (SnapperMail supports SMTP Auth)

Anyway, here's the page.
    http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm

-W
    I believe it only supports AUTH PLAIN or AUTH LOGIN. Both are kind of lame in terms of sending your password in the clear. AUTH CRAM-MD5 or AUTH DIGEST-MD5 are used by other sites that don't want users to send their passwords in the clear.