Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Treo's should be initialized so that they work out of the box.

Unlike a phone, the Treo is complicated. If Handspring thinks that the average American is going to put up with the **** us enthusiasts put up with, they are dead wrong and its gonna kill them.

Out of the box, the Treo should be pre programmed so that it:

received pop3 mail
    can surf the internet
    makes and receives calls

You know, you can hire a smart kid to do that to 20 phones per hour, but to have 20 people call Sprint support and speak to Claire, and then to some total ignoramus giving WRONG information, is simply not the way.

The Treo should come with all the software installed, precharged, and tested with all the connections.

Put the money up front, instead of on the defensive with hopeless tech support.

If my best friend were to ask me should he get a Treo now, I'd tell him, not unless you want to spend 20 hours setting up.

Now I've done it, and here is the stupid part: competent people could have done it in 5 minutes.

I am in love with my Treo now.
    For someone who doesn't know, why do you have to set the phone up, and the internet? It's not like you are using the 180/270 where you could have different wireless providers. Sprint should have it pre-configured.

Also, POP3 should not be pre-configured, as your settings would be different than others. ie. mail server, username, password etc.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    For someone who doesn't know, why do you have to set the phone up, and the internet? It's not like you are using the 180/270 where you could have different wireless providers. Sprint should have it pre-configured.

Also, POP3 should not be pre-configured, as your settings would be different than others. ie. mail server, username, password etc.
    Does it not come with a configuration utility? The 180/270 comes with an app that asks you all the things you just asked and then goes and sets up your Treo for you.
    mgauss: If you want flexibility you pay a small price in setting things up.

AOL and devices like the Sidekick from Danger are perhaps for people like yourself. You turn it on and it works. Apple have gone this route too when you try to connect to the net - they have one choice provider they send you to that they know will work. This is fine if you dont have the time or the technical knowledge to set these things up yourself and are willing to be forced to use a new ISP and perhaps a poor cost-plan.

Phones are not pre-provisioned for voice as the systems just dont work that way on GSM networks. The Treo 300 does work for voice right out of the box but of course the only call you can make is to Sprint or 911.

As for data, Sprint did @#$% up initially but they seem to have got it back in hand now. They did after all launch Vision nationwide and made a few mistakes. The cdma2000 network is an overlay on their voice network and cannot be pre-provisioned because the settings vary by the location where you activate. You cannot pre-program this stuff - it has to be done as an activation process.

Email out of the box is a long shot too unless you want to be forced to use one known good email provider. The fact is that pop3 is pretty complicated but also pretty flexible. If you tell me that you want to read mail from a given account, I would have to ask you about ten questions about the account but chances are that you can read it directly on the Treo. Devices like the Palm VII and i705 do email out of the box but the address is a palm.net address and to get more complex access to other accounts you have to do some work.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Us nerds, you know, the enthusiasts that read these forums instead of spending time with our wifes and girlfriends demand flexibility.

No Problem.

What I am saying is that 98% of the purchasers of these Treo things are idiots (non enthusiast remote control fearing folk) and they will not have patience...so what I am saying is that when you buy the Treo they should ask you questions, and when you get it it is working.

Later on, if I am a nerd I can change the settings.

But Treo's future and I say Treo (not Handspring) cause Sony has crammed features into that NX70V 1 year ahed of any other Handspring product...except for the idea of the Treo, ...Treo's future is the multifunction cellular device and the challenge here is on letting the masses be able to USE it. Not to reprogram it with fancy tricks, but to work right out of the box.

As far as I am concerrned, Treo is dangerously close to a couple of reviews that could be disastrous and the difference is not with the device but with the configuring.

You heard it here.
    People shouldn't be buying stuff that they dont know about.. and the reality is that people do want the options to set up their own mail servers etc. Take a look at the questions being asked by the newbies on the boards. Not everyone here are geeks or experts.

Originally posted by mgauss
    Us nerds, you know, the enthusiasts that read these forums instead of spending time with our wifes and girlfriends demand flexibility.

No Problem.

What I am saying is that 98% of the purchasers of these Treo things are idiots (non enthusiast remote control fearing folk) and they will not have patience...so what I am saying is that when you buy the Treo they should ask you questions, and when you get it it is working.

Later on, if I am a nerd I can change the settings.

But Treo's future and I say Treo (not Handspring) cause Sony has crammed features into that NX70V 1 year ahed of any other Handspring product...except for the idea of the Treo, ...Treo's future is the multifunction cellular device and the challenge here is on letting the masses be able to USE it. Not to reprogram it with fancy tricks, but to work right out of the box.

As far as I am concerrned, Treo is dangerously close to a couple of reviews that could be disastrous and the difference is not with the device but with the configuring.

You heard it here.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Handspring's next version of the Treo is going to be more "*****" proof and phone-like. Do a search for "Colligan" and read my post regarding his comments to a Seattle wireless group about a month ago.
    If the Treo couldn't be "reprogrammed with fancy tricks" as you say, a whole lot of people on this board wouldn't want it. Most people that buy a device like a treo have a hint of 'geek'. I have no objections to it working out of the box, as long as it is flexible enough that I can tweak it to my hearts content.
    What are y'all talking about? Mine was up and running immediately after I called Sprint last week! I did not have to do anything special to connect to the Internet (it was preconfigured). Maybe Sprint has gotten it together since you bought your phones.