Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    In 6 weeks
    removable battery
    65,000 colors
    how do they compare?
    I planned on going with the kyocera, but I have gotten really used to the thumb board..... so I'll probably stay with the treo 300 and hope they release a version with a memory expansion slot....

treo has a larger screen and thumb board....

the kyocera has more colors for the screen, expansion slot and mp3 player...
    Originally posted by mgauss
    In 6 weeks
    removable battery
    65,000 colors
    how do they compare?
    I think it's way too big. I don't want something tha tis more than inch thick and weighs more than 6 ounces. I guess I put more emphasis on form than most, though.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I also have grown to handle the thumboard pretty well, not having to deal with a stylus is a nice touch. I have to believe that Handspring is working on a newer version that will provide at least:
    1) Screen fully readable in direct sunlight.
    2) Better speaker and volume in general.
    3) Expansion slot.
    of course maintaining the same form factor.I hope I am not asking Jeff and Donna for too much. If not I am looking to migrate to the new IPAQ 5600 (CDMA 2000 version) or the new Samsung SPH 7000 the sad about this trend is that they are all MS Pocket PC based
    I was fully committed to the Kyo, but now that I have the Treo (and have had it for 2 months - a definite advantage for the Treo over the still-vapor 7135) I love the Treo and made the right decision. The Kyo will be way thick and the Treo's thumboard is better for how I use the device. And I guess that's the big thing - if you are e-mail and PDA centric, I'd say the Treo is the way to go. If you're phone centric, maybe the thick-as-a-brick Kyo is for you.
    I am pondering the switch to the Kyo when it comes out. I must say that the thumb board on the treo would be very hard to leave now that I am used to it. I am typing this on it now. The larger screen and the ability to carry this in my pocket also make the Treo a keeper. I do suffer from the ''i gotta have the newest and greatest device'' disease so I may have to give the kyo a test run. I saw that the I330 is supposed the be out on the 27th. Other than the tri-mode roaming capability, I don't see a compelling need to buy that one.
    The question comes down to:
    Do you want a PDA with phone capabilities or a phone with PDA capabilities?
    If the phone is the most important function, then the Kyo is the one to use.
    If the PDA is the most important, then the Treo is the one.

Zane
    I use my cell phone and my Blackberry pretty extensively. I like the Palm calendar, etc., better than Blackberry. But, I REALLY like the reliability of the Blackberry email. I bought a Palm i705 and it STUNK. Plus the customer support was lousy. So, I am considering a Treo 300. Any thoughts?
    Larry
    Originally posted by Larry Hicks
    I use my cell phone and my Blackberry pretty extensively. I like the Palm calendar, etc., better than Blackberry. But, I REALLY like the reliability of the Blackberry email. I bought a Palm i705 and it STUNK. Plus the customer support was lousy. So, I am considering a Treo 300. Any thoughts?
    You can use any internet pop mail account on a treo, and it will be as reliable as that provider. You will need to set up something to fetch the mail, as it's pull, and not push. I use mark/space mail, with it's automatic fetch feature. I'd say a treo is a great substitute for a blackberry + a phone, except that you can't use the network features while talking on the phone.
    I use Microsoft Outlook. Will the Treo read those messages and send them to me? what is a "pop mail account"? What is a "pull, and not push"? Sorry, I'm not much of a computer jock.
    Larry
    Business Connection (a service from sprint) will send your business emails (from an exchange server) to your treo, but only does so if the pc running outlook is running.

Pop mail is standard internet email, like you'd get from an internet service provider.

Push email means that the service sends the email to your device, and pull email means you or an application on your device connects to the server and retrieves it on demand.
    Thanks, Grawk. The Palm i705 required that I forward everything from my Outlook to the Palm, so that every email I got said it was from me! Also, it would not always automatically forward. Sometimes I had to "Get messages", and even then it didn't work well. The Blackberry automatically sends the email, whether my Outlook is open on my desktop or not (my computer has to be on, though.) What do you know about TreoMail?
    Larry
    Business Connect works like the blackberry software. I don't know anything about TreoMail, but I'm sure someone here does.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I believe there is only one thing not mentioned in the thread and that is that VERIZON will be the sole provider of the KYOCERA 7135. I believe that Sprint will stick with Samsung for new phones.
    I believe there is only one thing not mentioned in the thread and that is that VERIZON will be the sole provider of the KYOCERA 7135. I believe that Sprint will stick with Samsung for new phones.

where do you get your info that only verizon will carry it?
    I believe both Verizon and Sprint will carry the 7135. The thing most rumors about the 7135 seem to have in common is that Verizon will have the phone by sometime in November and Sprint sometime in early 2003. When the phone was demoed in NY, the Kyocera rep said at least 1, if not both of the major CDMA carriers will carry it. Sprint carried the 6035, I fully expect them to have the 7135.
    Memory slot is appealing, although I would probably wait (even wait a year!) for another treo version if they would just announce that they're going to add it. I was skeptical about the keyboard, but now I like it pretty well, and the small size is important.

BUT.... analog mode is really tempting. I had to return my Treo 300 because Sprint didn't work at my house. I'm using a 270, but the connection fades in and out. Having a tri-mode would give me a stable cell phone that would work just about anywhere... So what I REALLY want is for Handspring to announce they've got one of those in the works.

Not sure how I'd like the Kyocera with the screen on the inside of the lid. I do a lot of stylus work on the screen, and I'm guessing it would be awkward. Wouldn't be easy to do one-handed reading, either....
    Last edited by kouba; 10/15/2002 at 09:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Previous mention in the NY Times and I believe Palminfocenter is mentioning something about this.
    After having the Treo for a couple of months, I'm finding it to be even more useful over the Kyo than I had originally thought.

I really like the ability to use it (in many apps, esp Blazer and BizConn) with the lid closed. Can't do that with the 7135. I also read a lot of e-books - with the 7135, the lid would have to be open.
    Originally posted by veroi
    Previous mention in the NY Times and I believe Palminfocenter is mentioning something about this.
    links?

I think I've read just about every story PIC has run on the 7135 and don't remember reading anything of that nature.