1.    #1  
    sorry, if i sound dumb, i probably am, but at the handspring site about t-mobile rates in nyc it says:

"Data Services (web and email access) Included* (minutes deducted from monthly total). ISP account (such as Earthlink or AT&T WorldNet) required for Internet and email access."

i am confused about that ISP bit. i thought if i sign up with t-mobile to use a treo 270, then t-mobile _IS_ my isp? i don't have an isp otherwise (i use roadrunner DSL, i.e. no dial-up, at home, and my e-mail is some other pop3 or webmail). so... wtf? do i need to sign up to some ISP on top of t-mobile's rates to use the treo for e-mail & web browsing??

thanks!
    renzo
    Originally posted by renzop

i am confused about that ISP bit. i thought if i sign up with t-mobile to use a treo 270, then t-mobile _IS_ my isp? i don't have an isp otherwise (i use roadrunner DSL, i.e. no dial-up, at home, and my e-mail is some other pop3 or webmail). so... <profanity removed> do i need to sign up to some ISP on top of t-mobile's rates to use the treo for e-mail & web browsing??
    Yes, you do. You can use the Voicestream ISDN dialup, but to do things the "right" way you need a dialup account. Check into Roadrunner as they might give you a dialup account for when you're away from home. That's what I have with my SBC DSL.
    This is only true until GPRS is fully supported. I have no ISP outside my cable modem at home. I am using email, web, aim, etc without a problem. I am on the road now (well not ON the road, just not home!).
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by BladeZ
    This is only true until GPRS is fully supported. I have no ISP outside my cable modem at home. I am using email, web, aim, etc without a problem. I am on the road now (well not ON the road, just not home!).
    ah much better. thanks. another dumb question then... anyone having any guess when handspring might come out with something the form factor of the treo, running on os5, and with bluetooth? any bets?
    RoadRunner NYC does indeed provide a dial-up for use with internet access outside the home. It is free for 10 hours per month. I use it both, on my laptop and Treo 270.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I downloaded and installed the GPRS upgrade v1.1 for the Treo. It works great with T-mobile, and while it may not be officially supported, when it installed, the T-mobile GPRS services were automatically configured. Why waste minutes with ISDN dialup when GPRS is faster and works better and uses less power!?