1.    #1  
    I've had my Treo 270 for a few weeks now, and I have not been able to display more than 16 colors on the screen. I have tried a few browsers and photo gallery programs such as SplashPhoto but I don't see the 4000+ colors that the Handspring spec sheet quotes.

Does anyone know if this capability of the Treo 270 is not yet availble or are they really just misrepresenting it?

I talked to Tech Support for quite a while and no one there seemed to have any specific knowedge about the graphics capabilities of the Treo.
    How did you count them??
    Originally posted by TommyMc
    I've had my Treo 270 for a few weeks now, and I have not been able to display more than 16 colors on the screen. I have tried a few browsers and photo gallery programs such as SplashPhoto but I don't see the 4000+ colors that the Handspring spec sheet quotes.

Does anyone know if this capability of the Treo 270 is not yet availble or are they really just misrepresenting it?

I talked to Tech Support for quite a while and no one there seemed to have any specific knowedge about the graphics capabilities of the Treo.
    16 colors?? I think even the speed dial screen uses more than 16 colors. If you're only seeing 16 colors then your display must look horrible!! To test, set Blazer to High Color (or even 256 color) and go to, say, www.t-mobile.com and see how Catherine Zeta-Jones' picture looks. It should be quite pathetic in 16 colors.

I have compared pictures at 256 colors to those at high color and the difference is quite noticeable. I believe the claim of 4000+ colors. If you truly believe that you're only seeing 16 colors then your unit is defective.
  4.    #4  
    To test the colors, I tried web browsing and also downloading various pictures. I even tried some color gradient pictures. I could only count 16 colors on the screen. In Blazer, if you view an image often it uses the same colors used for the icons at the bottom of the screen instead of showing more accurate colors.
  5.    #5  
    I tested Blazer in full color mode, and there was an improvement. There are definitely more than 16 in that mode. I could not get SplashPhoto to display more than 16-color images although it's palette function seems to be able to display more. Maybe that is a software issue.

In Blazer 256 color mode, there definitely seems to be a limitation of 16 colors on the screen at once. Look carefully and you will see that most screens are no more than 16 colors total (dialpad, etc.)

Thanks for your suggestion to test in Blazer full color mode.
    are you sure 16 colors are what you see???? thats very strange!!! i have fireviewer installed on mine and all my photos looks great... better than Palm3c (my old one). So i am sure treo has more than 256 colors. i also have kinoma viewer on mine and have some of my short family home videos running on my treo...looks great. Of course sony clie is still better
    The images you send to the Treo for photo viewing should be encoded as 16-bit (65,536) colors. The LCD chips do the dithering from 16-bit down to 12-bit (4,096).

You could probably write some software to do more optimal 12-bit dithering to improve the appearance of photos or at least give you the option of several dither types so that you can choose. The former postings of poor looking photos were probably the result of uploading using 16 or 256 color dithering from the windows converters for Fireviewer and others. Encode for 16-bit and you should be OK.

In Blazer, your choice of color depth in the options menu determines the color depth and also in a packet-network world your potential surfing costs. If you pay by the megabyte having the Blazer proxy dither your images down to a smaller kb size saves you $$$.