Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I was curious to know what people are doing to rig up a hands-free setup in the car. I used to have a Startac and a gizmo that plugged into my car power outlet and let me use it hands free, but I don't know of anything like that available for the Treo. There is a company Tecnozone (www.tecnozone.com) that makes hands-free accessories, but it doesn't look like they would be Treo compatible. Any thoughts or ideas how to rig the Treo up?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Originally posted by jglev
    I was curious to know what people are doing to rig up a hands-free setup in the car.

I solved the handsfree issue AND the low volume problem in one fell swoop.

Brookstone sells a handsfree unit that hooks to your headrest. It positions a speaker right behind your ear and a mic on a gooseneck:

Handsfree Headrest System

I love my Treo, but the speakerphone isn't loud enough to use in a moving car. The Brookstone headrest system works like a charm.

Only little hitch is that you have to use a small plug adapter for the Treo, but it's included free in the package.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Couple of questions on this unit.

Is the plug universal? I know it brings a Treo adapter, but I have more than one cell phone, will this fit a standard cell phone plug?

It looks like it is battery powered. Is there an option for car power? I dont mind running a line to my fuse box, seems like a pain to keep replacing batteries.

How is the sound/mic? I am used to an integrated Motorola hands free kit that sounds awesome and is super hidden. Is this kit worth the steep 99 dollar pricetag?

How long is the cable to connect to the Treo? Can I connect my Treo and have it far away?

Thanx much for the info and the link, one reason I would consider this is that it seems to be a universal solution so if I upgrade my Treo or use another cell phone it should be no problem. It does look a little geeky, but hell people already think Im crazy when Im speeding down the highway talking to nobody!
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    SpineDoc:

The set works with any phone that uses a 2.5mm headset jack. There were two adapters included in the package--one that converts the unit's two-ring plug to a three-ring, which you'll need for the Treo, and one that converts from a 2-ring 2.5mm plug to a 7-pin linear connection with a push-button lock. (Also included in the package is an earbud, but I hate those things.)

It is battery powered, with no option to run power to the cigarette lighter or fusebox that I can see. But that's OK with me, because I use the cigarette lighter to recharge the phone. According to the package, the batteries in the handsfree unit are supposed to last about six months. It has circuitry that automatically switches the power on and off based on activity, thus conserving the batteries.

The speaker volume is adjustable with three settings. There's plenty of gain at the highest setting--in fact, it's almost too loud. The mic was too soft at its lowest setting, but since adjusting it to the highest, I've not had any complaints from anyone I've talked to.

The cable that connects to the Treo is 6' long--way more cable than I need.

Once you get it installed and lower the headrest a bit, it's really not that conspicuous. The gooseneck is not long enough to bring in front of your mouth. It's designed to come alongside your cheek when you're speaking, and swings aside easily when you're done.

Whether it's worth the $99 is up to you, I guess. Is there any chance of finding an adapter to adapt the Treo to the Motorola unit you already have?
    Three observations:

1. Frontgate (www.frontgate.com) is also selling the unit, and it's on sale. I got it for about $80 shipped. Click on "SHOP FRONTGATE", then "FRONTGATE OUTLET", then "Electronics", and you'll see it -- "Handfree Speaker/Microphone."

2. I first used it on a Samsung I-300, then my Treo. I have to say the sound quality on the I-300 was better.

3. I ordered a car-specific and Treo-specific mount from Pro-Clip (www.proclipusa.com) for about $60-65 shipped. This allows me to have a true custom-mount in my car, without having to resort to drilling, etc.

The nice thing about this whole setup is that if I ever change phones again, I can probably order the phone-specific mount for about $30-35 shipped, and still use my existing setup.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Wow its only 59 at frontgate, ordering one tonight.

One last question..HOw does it sound with the window and/or the sunroof open?

Thanx for the info
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    I haven't tried it with the window or sunroof open, but it would probably be loud enough. As I said, it's almost too loud on its highest setting in a closed moving car.
    Originally posted by SpineDoc

Wow its only 59 at frontgate, ordering one tonight.

One last question..HOw does it sound with the window and/or the sunroof open?
    It starts at $59, but goes up to about $80 when you add shipping. I haven't quite figured that one out...unless there was sales tax as well and I forgot.

I've always closed the windows and sunroof when on a call, because I've found that no one can hear me -- regardless of what I used (OEM Samsung car kit for SCH-3500, headset, Jabra earpiece, this speaker/boom-mic thing).
    I'm also interested in a hands-free solution, which the Tecnozone device seems to solve.

Only one more question, however: how do you make up for the loss of the button to answer calls that comes with earplug and mike supplied with the Treo 300 now?

I assume the Tecnozone device doesn't have one.

So do you just fumble and try to flip the Treo open, or try to hit the spacebar while you're driving?

Angel
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    Originally posted by AngelFCh
    So do you just fumble and try to flip the Treo open, or try to hit the spacebar while you're driving?

I leave the lid open and set the Treo on the console or seat next to me. If the phone rings, I just touch the screen to answer it.
    Last edited by UppaTreo; 10/25/2002 at 10:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Well, I decided to give the TecnoZone Vanquish a try http://www.tecnozone.com/products.asp?product_id=10003 Circuit City had it for $20, so it wasn't much of a gamble. It does seem to work (comes with a Nokia style plug for the Treo earphone receptacle), but it doesn't charge the Treo. I do have a second lighter in my car, so I can plug the auto charger into that and the other end into the Treo while it is in the Vanquish cradle. The other thing is that the cradle doesn't open up wide enough to accommodate the Treo. I had to remove the side "bumpers" and then it fit fine. The sound quality from the speaker is a little better than the Treo in hands free mode, but I am not sure the microphone that comes with the Vanquish is that great. Most of the time I don't even plug in the earphone adapter and just use the speakerphone option of the Treo. People on the other end say the sound is fine even in on the highway, but I doubt it would be that great with the sunroof open.

Jeff