1.    #1  
    If I get a Treo 300 to use with my Mac, can I SEND and RECEIVE email from my ISP's pop3 account just as I do with Entourage X on my desktop. I am VERY CONFUSED about this what with Treo Mail, Sprint Business Connection and all of that.

I THOUGHT that all I had to do was have a PCS Vision account and I could just send and receive email from my existing pop3 acccount but that does not seem to be the case. Can someone explain all of this to me?
    Hi Jetmaster, I just got my treo and I went through the same problem. Luckily there is a simple solution:

1: Goto www.sprintpcs.com login and set a password for your email account

2: Download a copy of Eudora mail or Snapper mail

3: When setting up the client use your isp pop3 server and use smtp.sprintpcs.com for smtp server but make sure you turn authentication on, and make sure the smtp setting is set to prompt for a password.

4: After typing and email send it out, then when the prompt comes up type in your username w/o the @sprintpcs.com.

5: Voila it works!

Hope that helps, if you need further explanation just post,
    Dan
  3.    #3  
    Dan:

See my comments after your numbered items.

1: Goto www.sprintpcs.com login and set a password for your email account

Do I have to have a PCS Vision account for this or just a regular Sprint PCS account?

2: Download a copy of Eudora mail or Snapper mail

3: When setting up the client use your isp pop3 server and use smtp.sprintpcs.com for smtp server but make sure you turn authentication on, and make sure the smtp setting is set to prompt for a password.

Why does this make a difference--ie. turning on authentication.

4: After typing and email send it out, then when the prompt comes up type in your username w/o the @sprintpcs.com.

My ISP's username or PCS Vision name?

5: Voila it works!

If I use Eudora, will this synch with the my ENTOURAGE mail on my desktop Mac? That is, if I send something from the Treo Eudora and I synch will it show up as a sent item in Entourage? And mail I receive on Treo Eudora from my ISP will they, when synched, show up in the inbox of Entourage.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hope that helps, if you need further explanation just post,
    Dan [/B][/QUOTE]
    -Do I have to have a PCS Vision account for this or just a regular
    Sprint PCS account?
    --Yes,
    Unless you want to pay large fees to connect out to a regular isp (if possible???)

-Why does this make a difference--ie. turning on authentication.
    --This is sprints way of verifying that you are who your email says who are and allows you to send email through their server. Otherwise anyone could relay spam or any other kind of email off their servers making it look they are coming from you.

-My ISP's username or PCS Vision name?
    --Sorry for the confusion here. When recieving email you must use your isp's username and password to get your pop3 email. But when sending email you must use your sprintpcs vision username and password to authenticate yourself.

And your question about Entourage,
    This I have no clue whatso ever about. I don't have a mac, the only way to know is test it yourself or find someone who has already done this.

-Mail I receive on Treo Eudora from my ISP will they, when synched, show up in the inbox.
    --Yes as long as your treo is set to NOT to delete email off the server, then it will stay on the server until you download it from your mac.

Hope that helps,
    Dan

I've had my treo for a few days now and I love it.
  5.    #5  
    My ISP's username or PCS Vision name?
    --Sorry for the confusion here. When recieving email you must use your isp's username and password to get your pop3 email. But when sending email you must use your sprintpcs vision username and password to authenticate yourself.

Do you have to input this each time, or do you set it up once for sending and receiving and that's it?
    When the window comes up and asks for the password, there is a box that allows you to save (this is how I have it setup) and it works great.

Dan
    Originally posted by bulletfast
    When the window comes up and asks for the password, there is a box that allows you to save (this is how I have it setup) and it works great.

Dan
    Dan:

I don't see a way to make this work in Snapper. I had already punched that info into the smtp boxes, but there's no way to check authentication, so it boots me out of smtp.sprintpcs.com.

Do I need to go in on a port other than 25?

I'm actually waiting for Snapper to do IMAP4. Now that would be cool!
    I don't have snappermail any more so I'm not 100% sure how to set authentication, or even if it's possible. I switched over to eudora because it's free and I have found no problems with it.

Thanks,
    Dan