1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried this successfully on a Treo300? or for that matter on any Palm OS device?

Looking for input on compatibility issues.

Also... can this cause any hardware faillure? IE: processor running hotter than normal.

http://www.megasoft2000.com/palm_division/fastcpu.htm
    Originally posted by Serpico
    Has anyone tried this successfully on a Treo300? or for that matter on any Palm OS device?

Looking for input on compatibility issues.

Also... can this cause any hardware faillure? IE: processor running hotter than normal.

http://www.megasoft2000.com/palm_division/fastcpu.htm
    I tried this program and ran into some big problems with connectivity. Even though I was not overclocking Blazer or my email program, I would get a "no modem detected" error from time-to-time, requiring a reset. It could well be that my problems were the result of overclocking some other app. that I shouldn't have been, but I didn't know what to look for. I removed the program and my Treo works fine now.
    I use afterburn. It seems to work with most programs. (I overclock blazer and it seems to work great)
  4.    #4  
    Says it requires HackMaster --

I currently have X-Master 1.5 -- will that work?

>>> Never Mind --> It does!
    Last edited by Serpico; 10/10/2002 at 04:43 PM.
    Your battery usage will go thru the roof (i.e. be really short) with overclocking - the cpu heats up when it is used over spec. You get heat instead of performance and the heat is directly coming from your batterys usable power.

I suspect that there is a good chance of damaging the CPU with longterm use.
    I haven't noticed any increased heat or reduced battery life. You have to remember that in a palm the cpu is not the #1 usage of power. The screen, backlight and transmitter use WAY more than an overclocked CPU.
    It might be interesting to check out the current milliwatt usage when overclocked and under normal clock speed. Go to the launcher and tap in the top of the screen while holding the up-scroll button to see the current battery state. Mine is showing 376mW load right now with no overclocking and the default brightness setting and 4 bars of coverage.
    Very interesting.....nice tip

My load is 375 mW overclocked and non overclocked. I'm thinking there might be a sleep mode for this CPU.

The REALLY interesting thing is the amount of juice the keyboard backlight takes...it's 1000 mW.

With the transmitter off it only takes 125mW.

I'm overclocking the CPU to 47mhz (I think 33 Mhz is the norm)
  9.    #9  
    Fully (100%) charged Treo300... Set to overclock to 37mhz (whatever the max is on a Treo300) and I was using Blazer just fine for about 5 minutes. I turned off the unit by closing the clamshell and watched about 30 - 40 miuntes of TV ("Scrubs" on Thursdays -- can't miss it -- it's "must see" tv).

When I picked up the unit it was unusually warm on the underside... and when I powered up, I only had 38% battery available... also not able to make ANY data connections via SnapperMail, Blazer or Xiino.

I tried deactivating AfterBurner 3.1 but same issues... had to unistall it completely and reset the unit... after a nights charge fortunately all appears to be back to normal.

No more overclocking for me -- not enough noticable speed increase to warrent that power consumption.
    Originally posted by Serpico
    Fully (100%) charged Treo300... Set to overclock to 37mhz (whatever the max is on a Treo300) and I was using Blazer just fine for about 5 minutes. I turned off the unit by closing the clamshell and watched about 30 - 40 miuntes of TV ("Scrubs" on Thursdays -- can't miss it -- it's "must see" tv).

When I picked up the unit it was unusually warm on the underside... and when I powered up, I only had 38% battery available... also not able to make ANY data connections via SnapperMail, Blazer or Xiino.

I tried deactivating AfterBurner 3.1 but same issues... had to unistall it completely and reset the unit... after a nights charge fortunately all appears to be back to normal.

No more overclocking for me -- not enough noticable speed increase to warrent that power consumption.
    The battery drained because it was stuck with the connection on. This is a known and annoying problem. The data connections failed probably because you were overclocking every application. I am using afterburner and overclocking to 54mhz with no problems. I did this by setting the speed for each individual application, leaving any app that uses data alone. I notice a big difference in the apps that are overclocked such as LauncherX, Agendus, SplashShopper, etc.
    I've been using fastCPU at 46 setting for several months... no connectivity problems and no signif battery drain. Infrared hotsynch won't work but that is a minor annoyance.
    can i ask a dumb question? i'm a pc geek not a palm geek. what apps are you folks using where you see a big difference in speed? so far the only program i notice any real lag is photo album which i rarely use anyway. just wondering if i should bother with overclocking.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.