Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Will Treo 300 work on another provider?

    I very much like my Treo, but I am coming to hate Sprint.

    Can I dump Sprint and keep my Treo?
  2. #2  
    No can do.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by mblank
    No can do.
    Why?
  4. #4  
    Because your good friends Sprint worked with Handspring on this model. It works in CDMA = Sprint right now.

    Nobull
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by nobull
    Because your good friends Sprint worked with Handspring on this model. It works in CDMA = Sprint right now.

    Nobull
    Verizon's website says they are using CDMA. What's different? Some PGP key?

    Is this something anyone has tried or is it assumed?
  6. paz5559's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #6  
    Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA technology, but at different frequencies. Since your handset is really nothing more than a very expensive two way radio, you would ahve to change the frequency it was tuned to in order to access a different network. The treo is a single-band phone, and that is one of the limitations thereof. The Kyocera coming out in the next few weeks, on the otehr hand, is a tri-mode/multi-band phone, and may have the ability to be used with multiple carriers.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by paz5559
    you would ahve to change the frequency it was tuned to in order to access a different network.
    Ok, what does that involve?
  8. paz5559's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #8  
    It would require the knowledge and expertise of an electrical engineer, and additional circutry not currently included in the treo300 ... bottom line, it is NOT a viable option
  9. #9  
    A user can provision their phone to VZ, however it will only work at the PCS (1900 MHz) band. It will not work at 800 MHz AMP's or 800 MHz Digital. You also lose the ability to use yor Vision plan if you've signed up for one, unless you cancel it.

    Also remeber, the radio in the Treo 300 is a single mode 1900 MHz radio.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by drknucklehead
    A user can provision their phone to VZ, however it will only work at the PCS (1900 MHz) band. It will not work at 800 MHz AMP's or 800 MHz Digital. You also lose the ability to use yor Vision plan if you've signed up for one, unless you cancel it.

    Also remeber, the radio in the Treo 300 is a single mode 1900 MHz radio.
    What's VZ?
  11. paz5559's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #11  
    Man:

    No disrespect intended, but your questions sound very new to the whole concept of telecommunications, and what you are tryong to do is very sophisticated. Rather than ruining the phone you have, which you clearly will if you try to do what you are speaking of, just go out and get a phone and service from Verizion when they release a new smart phone like the kyocera 7135, or wait for their version of the treo, which is due out early next year

    VZ = Verizon, to answer your original question
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by paz5559
    Man:

    No disrespect intended, but your questions sound very new to the whole concept of telecommunications, and what you are tryong to do is very sophisticated. Rather than ruining the phone you have, which you clearly will if you try to do what you are speaking of, just go out and get a phone and service from Verizion when they release a new smart phone like the kyocera 7135, or wait for their version of the treo, which is due out early next year

    VZ = Verizon, to answer your original question

    I understand. I've been using Sprint for so long that I've lost touch with who the other carriers are and what they're doing. I assumed that it meant Verizon, but with acronyms I wanted to be sure.

    I've found the best way to get something done is start with the most basic questions and build on it. There are lots of things that I've heard people say are impossible only to find out later that they're wrong. From the few posts I see so far it appears that it's not impossible.

    Anyway you're correct that my fooling with the phone would probably screw it up and I am currently in over my head. But if I am going to dump Sprint so what? Without Sprint the phone is useless to me. Sure I could sell it, but I'd rather get it working via another carrier just to see if it's possible. Of course spite comes into play too.

    Besides I don't think I'd need to do it myself anyway. Let's say, if it's possible, I printed out the instructions and offered a Verizon tech $20 and a beer to make it work. What then? What would I and whomever else need to make it work?
  13. #13  
    I have 20 bucks and 2 cans of beer that say you will never get it to work with another carrier..........Are there any taker?
  14. #14  
    I'll throw my $20 in, as well. In addition to adding a WHOLE NEW RADIO into the phone, you'd have to get the software working with Verizon's system (remember, Verizon is using Brew, and Sprint is using Wap2.0), and get it to authenticate on their system. both Verizon and Sprint have a very specific list of phones ESNs (equipment serial numbers) which work on their systems, and only their systems. Trying to get someone else's phone to work on their system is pretty much impossible. And, btw, there are no vz techs in the field with the kind of expertise that you're talking about (or at least none I know of, and I've been in the wireless business since 1995 - although I'm not an engineer). Sorry to burst your bubble...
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by sbcrair
    I'll throw my $20 in, as well. In addition to adding a WHOLE NEW RADIO into the phone, you'd have to get the software working with Verizon's system (remember, Verizon is using Brew, and Sprint is using Wap2.0), and get it to authenticate on their system. both Verizon and Sprint have a very specific list of phones ESNs (equipment serial numbers) which work on their systems, and only their systems. Trying to get someone else's phone to work on their system is pretty much impossible. And, btw, there are no vz techs in the field with the kind of expertise that you're talking about (or at least none I know of, and I've been in the wireless business since 1995 - although I'm not an engineer). Sorry to burst your bubble...
    Next you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus.
  16. #16  
    I hate saying that something is impossible and I'm sure with some soldering and whatnot, you could probably get the 300 to work on Verizon, but in this case, it is HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely that you will be able to get this Sprint phone to work on Verizon. Sprint uses CDMA 1900 only while Verizon has a significant part of their network on CDMA 800 and the rest on CDMA 1900. So wherever Verizon has CDMA 800 coverage only, you will have no service (not even analog). You willl also probably have to obtain some sort of unlocking code from Sprint, a task that is not so easy. And then finally there is the matter of reprogramming the phone, and getting a Verizon technician to do that on a device he has likely never seen (much less worked with) will just about close the door on your request. Sorry, but this just is not going to happen.
  17. #17  
    NO SANTA CLAUS!!!??!!! AGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by sbcrair
    NO SANTA CLAUS!!!??!!! AGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!


    hmmm...

    i guess that means mrs. santa is up for grabs.


    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

    ----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650

Posting Permissions