1.    #1  
    As background I have had Kyocera 6035, then Samsung I300, now Treo 300. About last november, both Sprint and Verizon disabled SMTP, which had previously worked. This meant very simply, that you could receive but not send email through the "company server". Anyone who called into customer service would get incredible runarounds, possibly from ignorant people. Doesn't matter - point is, they actively disabled smtp and did not tell the customer base or change the marketing to say "email only".

I went and got Earthlink dsl, which came with free handy dandy dialup, and proceeded to program the phone's modem to call the dialup. Bingo! Voila! Zhonks, Batman. All problems ceased, email send/receive has worked fine ever since. And GUESS WHAT??? NO CLAIRE!!!!

So now I have this really cool latest greatest GADGET - the TREO 300. Ain't gonna GO DOWN WITH TEASER CLAIRE. Ain't gonna CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT. What do all of you suggest, just not sign up for 3G (keep using Earthlink pop/smtp wireless web access), or go ahead and try 3G (not mess with Sprint email), or go ahead and try the whole thing?
    Congrats on your setup, but I think you'll be in for a surprise when you get your next bill. Your dial-up connection will result in a .40/minute wireless web charge. Good luck.
    You could use the earthlink smtp server via sprints network by using earthinks smtpauth server.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by fgkay
    Congrats on your setup, but I think you'll be in for a surprise when you get your next bill. Your dial-up connection will result in a .40/minute wireless web charge. Good luck.
    Meaning "things will be the same as they have been before with the 6035, the I300" - Sprint's system doesn't charge different rates depending on your device, unless you order a different plan or service. And that's exactly my point, and the reason for my questions.

Is the cost and effort to get 3G going worth it, and if so, for what?
    Originally posted by Mhaze

Is the cost and effort to get 3G going worth it, and if so, for what?
    If you have a Treo - it is MOST cost effective to have the vision plan with it. If you dont, you pay .40 per minute - NOT GOOD. As I mention previously, you can get and send earthlink mail when you are not on the earthlink network. Do a deja search on "earthlink smtp auth".
    smtp for sprint is up and working if you get authenication failure then call the wireless dept. have them change your email password or change it on the website

pop.sprintpcs.com

smtp.sprintpcs.com
    .40/minute wireless web charge

How do they know you dialed a modem instead of a person? Just wondering how this wireless web gets charged. I am looking to use this when I go over my max data limit.
    I have not setup POP3 email on my 300 but I have what may be a silly question...

What kind of POP3 accounts can be used thru the Sprint SMTP server. Does it have to be a SprintPCS.com domain email account or are you guys talking about relaying other accounts from domains like earthlink.com thru the Sprint SMTP server?

PS I use corporate mail thru TreoMail but I ould like to have POP3 as well to pick up attachments from time to time.