1.    #1  
    i have been anxiously anticipating the arrival of the HipTop in the market, even before the Treo was announced. Now, I can't decide which one is better?? I like the way the HipTop looks/works and of course the price. I also love my Sprint coverage and am quite leary of T-Mobile, any good/bad experiences?? I mainly will use either devide to do web/e-mail and voice. PIM features will be handy but not a big deciding factor. Anyone else in the same boat, any suggestions for the confused ones??
    <A HREF="http://www.weather.com">What's your weather like?</A>
    <A HREF="http://www.weather.com/multimedia">Prefer Video?</A>
    Originally posted by mrstream
    i have been anxiously anticipating the arrival of the HipTop in the market, even before the Treo was announced. Now, I can't decide which one is better?? I like the way the HipTop looks/works and of course the price. I also love my Sprint coverage and am quite leary of T-Mobile, any good/bad experiences?? I mainly will use either devide to do web/e-mail and voice. PIM features will be handy but not a big deciding factor. Anyone else in the same boat, any suggestions for the confused ones??
    Being a gadget fanatic, I bought the Treo 300 when it first came out and use it as my business phone as well as having office email pushed to it using the SPCS Business Connection software. However, when the T-Mobile Sidekick (what they have branded the Danger Hiptop) came out this week, I also got one to experiment with.

I must say, in the few short days I have had it, I am extremely impressed with the thought that went into designing the unit and the software user interface. It is an extremely easy to operate unit and very intuitive in its features. The nice part about it is that it is able to pull mail from a number of POP3 accounts besides the T-Mobile account that comes with it. Additionally, attachments such as Word are decoded by the Danger service that powers the unit so you can read them on the device.

Best part is the pricing plan: $39.99/mo. for 200 anytime minutes, 1000 night and weekend minutes and unlimited data. An interesting point on the plan to note. When I checked the T-Mobile web site, it indicated that the unlimited data was only good for the first year. After that, you supposedly only get 15MB per month for the $39.99 with extra MB at $3.50. I bought my device direct at a T-Mobile store in Atlanta and asked the manager whether the data continues unlimited after the first year. His response was that it did. So who knows what's correct.

T-Mobile's coverage map is pretty good for the major metropolitan areas. I have not had any problems with them when I was a previous subscriber.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I tested the Danger two weeks before it was sold by T Mobile, it has some extraordinary features that will allow the market to capture some market. I did not leave My Treo as I like color screen and the integration I have with outlook inaddition to the CDMA 2000 capabilities. T Mobile has good coverage and it is not a "fly by night" company. It is quite difficult to compare the TREO and the Danger, you can compare the TREO with T Mobile Pocket PC to be able to be fair.
  4.    #4  
    thanks for your replies!
    I am a HUGE gadget freak and the first time I saw this thing on TechTV I wet almost wet myself! That was after CES and they were still showing the prototype.
    enagel, how do the phone capabilities of the device work? is it a decent phone, sounds ok? I have also never used T-Mobile's service, though have heard from friends it is both good and bad. I must say I've been spoiled by Sprint's great network calrity and the numerous areas I can use the service.
    Also, how much have you played with the Web Browser functions? Can you do stuff like post in these type of forums? Have you had any pages that did not display right or refused to work? From what I've read it's pretty much full HTML through the Danger Proxy which reformats the pages, just wodering how this really works from a user point of view.
    Oh yeah, does it still amke the Star Trek commnicator sound when you flip the screen out??
    Thanks for your help and patience with all of my questions
    Originally posted by mrstream
    thanks for your replies!
    I am a HUGE gadget freak and the first time I saw this thing on TechTV I wet almost wet myself! That was after CES and they were still showing the prototype.
    enagel, how do the phone capabilities of the device work? is it a decent phone, sounds ok? I have also never used T-Mobile's service, though have heard from friends it is both good and bad. I must say I've been spoiled by Sprint's great network calrity and the numerous areas I can use the service.
    Also, how much have you played with the Web Browser functions? Can you do stuff like post in these type of forums? Have you had any pages that did not display right or refused to work? From what I've read it's pretty much full HTML through the Danger Proxy which reformats the pages, just wodering how this really works from a user point of view.
    Oh yeah, does it still amke the Star Trek commnicator sound when you flip the screen out??
    Thanks for your help and patience with all of my questions
    The phone capabilities are fine in terms of call quality. Keep in mind, however, that there are two ways to use the phone. The first, holding the unit against your ear is awkward in that you have to look at the screen, dial, and then hold to your ear and talk. Using it this way, you also end up with a smudged screen from facial oil. The second way is to use a headset and hold the unit while dialling and talking. Personally, however, I bought the unit more to use email, web browsing, and instant messaging than I did as a phone. I'll use the Treo for the phone.

In terms of T-Mobile's service, I have used them on and off when they were Powertel, then Voice Stream and now T-Mobile and have not had problems with service. Generally, their coverage is good in most major metropolitan areas and their per minute rates are one of the cheapest in the marketplace.

In regards to Web page rendering, I have found it to be one of the better units to view pages. While the screen is B&W, the Danger service appears to reformat most pages prior to presentation to the unit. Based upon this, you avoid the problem I find with the Treo where the Blazer browser presents an unformatted page for the size screen on the Treo and you have to scroll all around.

The unit makes all sorts of cool sounds when you do various things (e.g., open a page, fold open the screen, etc.). If you find the sounds annoying, you can turn off system sounds. One of the coolest things is that in mute mode, you can have the selection wheel on the right of the unit, flash in different patterns and colors.

Overall, for the price of the unit ($199 with rebate) and unlimited data for $39.99/mo., I recommend the unit without hesitation. Additionally, the unit's looks (especially the flip out screen) really draws the looks and the comments.
  6.    #6  
    I'm gonna try and check one out tomorrow at the store near my apt. Figure I have 14 days to try it out and can always drop my Sprint plan to the lowest it will go if the phone service sucks. thanks for your insight though, knowing someone else in twon has had a good experience is comforting.
    thanks again!!