1.    #1  
    When I user a Palm device I used to lock it with one of the available security applications (Teallock, Commander etc').

I liked the sense of security by not allowing everyone access to my Palm device unless they know the password.

Now most of these apps will render the Treo/phone-part useless as you don't want to enter the password everytime you get an incoming call etc'.

Any ideas how we can lock the PalmOS portion of the Treo while keeping incoming calls unlocked?

Thanks,
    Ixtab.
    For my treo 270 I tried PDA Secure and I face many many problems with it (Conflicting with Hacks...etc), then I tried PDA Defense and I also face a lot of problems (Conflicting with Hacks...etc)...
    Fianlly I end up with Teal Lock, and I did not face any problem for the last week, and it is 100% compatible with all my HACKS... and I can receive my calls with out the need of Unlock it....
    I'm using TealLock 4.60....
  3.    #3  
    So when you get an incoming call Teallock simply let it show up on the screen right away?
    Yes I got the call screen directly on the screen...
    I use a free product called pautolock on my 270. This locks the unit after a specified period of inactivity but still allows incoming calls.

Paul:shortcut:
    Paul Upton
  6. kin
    Has anyone considered the speed hit from all these security programs?

I use a speed checking program called BogoHz and it reports as much as 15% decrease in speed after using TealLock.

Also I like to mention that Commander lite causes the screen to briefly flash on and off every 1 minute or so (not constant). Other than that, it works pretty well with no speed hit issues.

I also believe that for security reasons the way to consider the Treo is to treat it like your wallet. Just take care of it and implement minimum security. Minimum security can include:

1. No security (apart from the built-in hide records function)
    2. Auto lock once per day
    3. Auto lock if not used for 2 hours

Having used PalmOS devices since the Palm Personal days, I haven't had a lost/security issue with my Palm. But the amount of time I have spent locking it, solving compatibility issues and unlocking it when I want to use it probably adds to a significant numbers of weeks if not months! May not be worth it after all.

Do you padlock your encrypt your wallet although it contains important information?
    I have no problems with PDA Defense Pro. Did encounter problems with PDASecure though -- crashes. I can lock all of my sensitive programs and encrypt my data with PDA Defense. There is no need for me to lock the whole device down.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    I use memosafe to encrypt certain memos in the notepad. It's a good compromise between security and convenience.
    Originally posted by kin
    Do you padlock your encrypt your wallet although it contains important information?
    No, but a typical Palm device can carry thousands of times more data than a typical wallet.

A Palm device needs security at least as much as a general purpose computer system does, and arguably more (because of its personal nature).

Just my $0.02.

Best regards.
  10. kin
    Someone above suggested pautolock. Wonderful 5K program that allows basic security! Thanks, just what I need!

To improve it, you could have a transducer ID chip clipped to your wristwatch and have the Treo do more than only receive calls when near enough to the chip! Not difficult and already implemented in some car alarm systems.
    Originally posted by kin
    To improve it, you could have a transducer ID chip clipped to your wristwatch and have the Treo do more than only receive calls when near enough to the chip! Not difficult and already implemented in some car alarm systems.
    Well, since we're in dreamland, let's place the chip inside the stylus. When you want to lock the Treo, just put your stylus in your shirt pocket.
    anybody can tell me where can i find downloads such as pautolock for the treo? or just any palm download site will do, pray tell, cheers!
    Try www.Palmgear.com

Paul:shortcut:
    Paul Upton
  14. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    OnlyMe has been good for me on a 270.
    You can use buttons or the jog dial as well as the keyboard for the password entry (so can unlock one handed), and has auto lock after definable period of idle time - but with the added ability to lock immediately if you turn the Treo off with the power button.
  15. kin
    Tried the OnlyMe program. Seems rather powerful maybe too much! Had multiple soft resets after using it. Could be incompatibilities from NewPen and some Hacks.
  16. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Could be. All I can say is it has been rock solid here for about two months, with Newpen and BatteryLog, LogDataCalls, MarknDial and McPhling hacks. YMMV