1.    #1  
    While I can use Eudora to get email, like everyone else, I would also like to be able to send email. Since my other provider's server won't allow me to send email I must rely on sprintpcs for smtp. I know they've had their problems so (after a few lengthly tech support calls to no avail) I've been patiently waiting for them to get their screwy smtp to work. Tonight, I call, and they tell me that both pop and smtp doesn't work; check back every 48 hours.

So, I know that some people have had success with at least one of the two areas here (pop and smtp) in the past.

Is anyone currently getting pop from sprintpcs? (not your local provider but sprintpcs)

Is anyone currently able to send via smtp using sprintpcs?

If you are, I'd like to know how you did it. I've been through every post on this board and tried just about everything I saw! (I'm hesitant to change my vision password, as was one suggestion. I have a feeling everything will stop working.)

Anybody? Chime in if you've it working.
    In Eudora, have you tried doing a "send and receive mail" instead of only doing a send? Often times, this will allow you to send email through your ISP's smtp server. There are also 3rd party solutions such as GopherKing, etc. that will allow you to send email.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I tried the send and receive trick. My provider won't allow smtp relay. That is why I want to smtp from sprintpcs.

Even if you don't have a fix, can anyone tell me if you are at least able to use sprintpcs for pop and smtp? Thanks.
    Do you have the pop and smtp addresses?
  5.    #5  
    yes, of course. We are talking about pop.sprintpcs.com
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

Is anyone currently using these or is sprint hosed right now.
    Im trying to get sprint mail via Yahoo mail. Its a no-go. But sprint said it "should work soon".
  7.    #7  
    Well, again, that works for me. I use earthlink.net to get email. This is not a sprint issue. Your yahoo account should work with the right mail settings on your treo. So if they told you this will work soon, I think the csr was just grasping at straws. You should have that working right now, so read through some past posts; I'm sure you can get that to work.

I am interested in whether anyone can, right now, get into sprintpcs email and receive and send there.
    Just tested Sprint's SMTP server again a moment ago and it works fine. I've never had any problems. The key is setting it up right. Using Eudora, you need to set Authentication to "Best Available" and "Password Prompt". Security should be set to "If Available." The first time you send, you will be prompted to enter your username and password. These should be your Sprint Vision username and password. You can check the box to save them so they won't have to be entered again.

I don't use Sprint's POP server, so I can't comment on that.

Hope this helps. Send me an e-mail if you need further guidance and I'll do my best.
    I just sent myself a test message via Sprint's SMTP using Eudora. It worked fine and I've never had a problem with the server.
    Don
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Mine works fine for both incoming and outgoing mail. The trick is you need to reset your Vision e-mail password. Log into the Vision site and go to e-mail preferences (this is not the same as the Vision password). To get to the correct place, click "PCS mail" from the Planner Box on your home page. Then click on the upper right hand corner of the mail box the checkmark with the words "Settings & Preferences" next to it. Then click the "Set-up" tab and enter your new password. After you do this try Eudora with this new password. It should work fine.

Good luck,

Jeff
  11.    #11  
    Jeff, my man, if I could buy you a beer right now ...

After 7 or 8 weeks of no email sending, numerous hours with sprintpcs techs whom were mostly friendly, but not trained on sprint equipment apparently, that one post did the trick.

Last week I was told by sprint that the smtp server was hosed; a known issue and it would be back who knows when, they're working on it; it very important to them because of business clients. This week a sprint tech told me that NOTHING related to sprintpcs email was working -- neither sending or receiving .. check back every 48 hours. I KNEW she didn't know what she was talking about. So, I went to the this group and soon discovered that, indeed, users here are reporting that pop and smtp at sprintpcs IS working ... and probably has been all along.

I had seen password change recommendations in prior posts ... but none mentioned that there was an email password that would do the trick. I tried changing the vision password earlier today and soon was in error 67 terra-incognito. (Thanks to other posts from this group I was able to machete my way out from that jungle fairly easily.)

But that simple email password change did the trick. Why is it that sprint techs are not aware of this very basic setup??? If any of you have the fun opportunity to talk to any techs in the near future, for any reason, PLEASE relay this info to them so that they can put it into their system to help future users. This would have saved them (and more importantly ME) hours of wasted time.
    Hats off to Jeff and the rest of you who contributed to this post. Much appreciated.

... now, if I can only get Win-Hand to work...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Invader Zim, I am glad I could help. Actually, I learned that password trick from somewhere on this board. I just thought that I would be a good idea to give you a step-by-step how-to change the right password since it isn't all that intuitive.

Eudora is OK, especially for being free. I thought I would share this little trick with everyone. Many people may know this, but it is probably worth telling anyway. Unfortunately, you can't set Eudora to check mail at any time interval. There is another trick that I have figured out, if you are using sprintpcs.com mail. On the same tabbed area where you changed your password, there is a tab that is labeled "Notification" If you put your SMS address into the "Notification by E-mail" section of that sheet (it's your 10 digit vision phone number@messaging.sprintpcs.com), you will get an SMS message on your phone when you receive an e-mail. You can then check your Eudora e-mail manually.

Good luck,

Jeff
    Originally posted by jglev
    Eudora is OK, especially for being free. I thought I would share this little trick with everyone. Many people may know this, but it is probably worth telling anyway. Unfortunately, you can't set Eudora to check mail at any time interval. There is another trick that I have figured out, if you are using sprintpcs.com mail. On the same tabbed area where you changed your password, there is a tab that is labeled "Notification" If you put your SMS address into the "Notification by E-mail" section of that sheet (it's your 10 digit vision phone number@messaging.sprintpcs.com), you will get an SMS message on your phone when you receive an e-mail. You can then check your Eudora e-mail manually.
    Thanks to Jeff for posting this trick. I had figured this one out after setting up my pcs email account and playing around with the notification options. The notification preferences does have a separate option for receiving an SMS tickler when you receive a new email message on your sprintpcs.com account, it's just a checkbox under the section that Jeff describes above. However, the tickler just tells you an email was received. The advantage of entering in your SMS address for notification is that it tells you who the email is from...

Bill
    bill dycus
    Thanks jglev for explicitly describing what to do to make sprint smtp work. I have been baffled by this for weeks. I too thought it was problems with sprint's servers. Changing my email password on sprint's web site did the trick.

wwwebjunkie
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    DataViz plans to release InBoxToGo which will read Word, and many other attachments. In October or so!

Eudora and Treo Mail cannot open an attachment

The Sprint Business service will open attachments in a browser

But DataViz will open the attachments (Word, Excel, PDF, etc.) properly.