1.    #1  
    I don't know dit about Palm programming, and frankly, I could care less that I can't change ringtones without frying my Treo 300. But I was thinking and I bet:

1) The only reason the 300 can't use midi ringtones like the other treo models is because Sprint asked Handspring to purposely make it that way so they could SELL ringtones as part of there lame vision service BS.

2) After all that, they failed to get the ringtones or ringtone application ready in time for the launch. (actually, they seem to have failed to get anything ready in time for launch) They were too incompetent to capitalize on their own stinginess!

Any smart tech people out there able to refute this paranoia?

PS: I have a million dollar app idea I just going to GIVE to you guys. I (and everyone else after they read this) want an application that adds a little button to the top of the phone pages, and when I press it, it makes the mic cut in and out so it seems like the signal is fading. Then I can end uncomfortable calls with people who have become weary! That would ROCK!

(use a hard button if you like, and use another to turn the freaking display off. -pocket pc's media player could reconfigure all the hard buttons specifically for the MP app, then you could use the task button to turn the screen off. That part was superior to our current setup. Doesn't seem like rocket science that turning the screen off during an hour long call could save a little juice.)
    Originally posted by u00mem9
    I don't know dit about Palm programming, and frankly, I could care less that I can't change ringtones without frying my Treo 300. But I was thinking and I bet:

1) The only reason the 300 can't use midi ringtones like the other treo models is because Sprint asked Handspring to purposely make it that way so they could SELL ringtones as part of there lame vision service BS.

2) After all that, they failed to get the ringtones or ringtone application ready in time for the launch. (actually, they seem to have failed to get anything ready in time for launch) They were too incompetent to capitalize on their own stinginess!

Any smart tech people out there able to refute this paranoia?
    Unlike previous Treos, the Treo 300 plays the ringtones from the radio module in order to get the polyphonic tones. Since this is the case, the ringer applications have to be rewritten to take this into account; Handspring is slow in providing this documentation to developers. As I understand it, the ringtones have to be copied into the radio module so that the module can play them; until the information is released on how to do that, we're stuck.

As for Sprint selling them, do you see them selling the ringtones for the Treo 300 today? Do you think Sprint is going to come up with their own ringtone manager?

I'm still waiting for Handspring to release the developer documentation; I'm not sure what is taking so long, but I don't believe it is a conspiracyy...I think they're just slow.
    Stranger things have happened, but I'm willing to bet that (like most companies in the valley now) they are understaffed for their workload and documentation takes a backseat to features and bug fixes.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    All you do if you want to end calls with boring people is YOU HANG UP WHILE YOU ARE TALKING.