1.    #1  
    Looks like I get to join the club- I woke up this morning to my Treo alarm as I have for the last week and a half since I got it from Handspring and when I turned it on to respond to the alarm dialog, the backlight shut off and won't come back on.

I got my first unit replaced from Handspring because of the stylus issue. They shipped it overnight and I got it.

I am going out of town tomorrow, so it figures the #!@$% backlight would die today when it is unlikely I can get a replacement in time.

In case anyone is wondering, when the backlight dies, the unit still "works", but it is incredibly difficult to see the screen. Its not like a gameboy where you have to hold at an angle but at some angles in some lighting conditions it is clear as a bell. not like that... You can make out a very faint image of the screen when the backlight dies.

Oh well- I was very happy with the way they handled the stylus issue. I hope they do as well this time, but I'll be out of an organizer for the whole week I'm gone. I even ordered an IR-capable phone so I could get my email while I'm gone. That will arrive today, no doubt. :-/
  2.    #2  
    Step 1: Spoke with handspring. Only took a couple of minutes to explain the situation and they are scheduling a replacement. Quoted 2 business days, but maybe it will ship today because its still early.

Spent an hour or so looking at "backup plan PDAs" on ebay...
  3.    #3  
    New Treo arrived this morning. Handspring *may* be having quality control problems, but the support I've been getting absolutely rocks!

I can't tell if this screen is brighter than my old one was, because the old one doesn't work any more, but I get the idea it may be a little more 'white' than before.

Anyone gotten the mythical better screen and had it subsequently fail?
  4. AMB
    The whiter brighter screen failed for me within 6 days.

My replacement for that replacement has a dimmer screen (and the stylus problem). I convinced myself that the dimmer screen was easier on my eyes for night use.
    After about 11 more weeks, my replacement unit just lost the backlight. The stylus issue hasn't cropped up though.
  6.    #6  
    It certainly doesn't make me feel good to hear stories of replacements failing... Makes me wonder if selling the unit while it is working on ebay isn't a bad idea.

Trouble is, I don't know what I'd replace it with.

I was going to get something for my vacation when it didn't look like I'd get my replacement from handspring (I did... they are at least trying real hard). I like the 16MB and that significantly limits what you can buy for not a lot of money.

Heres the spec: $225 or less, used OK. 8MB or more, color screen. As thin or thinner than the Treo 90...