Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone got this working properly on a Treo 300? All my attachments are coming into Snapper with .cab wrapper added to them. I send an MSWord .doc file or an HTML file and when it arrives in my inbox it is now filename.doc.cab or filename.html.cab. This prevents them being opened or forwarded and converted to a Palm-friendly format such as QuickWord. Snapper assures me that they are not adding this compression wrapper. My guess is that it is the Sprint Vision network doing this. Can anyone prove otherwise? Can someone else try this on their 300?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    FWIW, I had the same problem, exactly. I just went back to inbox to go.
    I got the following information from the Snappermail beta Yahoo group.

In SnapperMailPublicBeta@y..., Greg Gaub wrote:

...the crux of the problem is not the attachment handling in SnapperMail but file format support by other applications. At this time, the release version of Cutting Edge Software's QuickWord does NOT support raw/unconverted/MS-Word-native Word documents. That has nothing at all to do with SnapperMail, or even the exchange manager or VFS really. It's because QuickWord can't open a native MS Word file. Same is true
    of Wordsmith, WordToGo, FastWriter, and every other doc editor wannabe. Until a reader can open a native Word document, conversion will have to take place somewhere, whether on the user's PC, or via e-mail using the qsconvert address. SnapperMail fully supports the opening of any file types that have a registered application on the Palm. For example, JpegWatch Lite and HandZipper Lite are each registered for JPEG and ZIP file formats, respectively. So if you have a ZIP file you can open it with HandZipper, or if you have a JPEG, you can open it with JpegWatch.

Hope that helps.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, I know how it's supposed to work. That is not the issue. The problem we Sprint users seem to be having is that the Sprint network seems to be wrapping our attachments in a .cab compression wrapper. This causes SnapperMail to not be able to recognize the attachment as somethig which it can process.
    Originally posted by jhubers
    Yes, I know how it's supposed to work. That is not the issue. The problem we Sprint users seem to be having is that the Sprint network seems to be wrapping our attachments in a .cab compression wrapper. This causes SnapperMail to not be able to recognize the attachment as somethig which it can process.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you very well explained question.
  6.    #6  
    Bad news for SnapperMail fans..... I just got of the phone with Sprint Level 2 support. The Vision network is definelty ccompressing the attachments. It is the way the network is currently configured and there is no way around it at this point. I have opened a ticket w/ the network group asking that this policy be changed. Their claim is that it is a "feature" for our benefit that reduces the charges for per KB transmission. I suggest anyone who may wish to use email attachments at any time in the future contact Sprint and let them know that this "feature" prevents you from getting all the useful data from your Treo and you would like to see it changed.
    Bad news for SnapperMail fans..... I just got of the phone with Sprint Level 2 support. The Vision network is definelty ccompressing the attachments. It is the way the network is currently configured and there is no way around it at this point. I have opened a ticket w/ the network group asking that this policy be changed. Their claim is that it is a "feature" for our benefit that reduces the charges for per KB transmission. I suggest anyone who may wish to use email attachments at any time in the future contact Sprint and let them know that this "feature" prevents you from getting all the useful data from your Treo and you would like to see it changed.
    I figured it would be an issue with Sprint -- I just hope the folks at SM have a way around this as this problem can be a show-stopper for me. Just curious, I sent myself an email with a very large .jpg file attachment and when I downloaded it on my Treo with SM, it was NOT wrapped as a .cab file. How come???
  8.    #8  
    According to the Sprint guy, they look for .doc, .xls, .ppt, .html and .htm files. All others are supposed to come though uncompressed. I tried sending an MSWord file though with no extension on the filename and it appeared to come through uncompressed. Unfortunately, when I forwarded it on to the qsconvert service it came back w/ an error stating that it was an unsupported file type.
    According to the Sprint guy, they look for .doc, .xls, .ppt, .html and .htm files. All others are supposed to come though uncompressed. I tried sending an MSWord file though with no extension on the filename and it appeared to come through uncompressed. Unfortunately, when I forwarded it on to the qsconvert service it came back w/ an error stating that it was an unsupported file type.
    I did some testing with a few files and here are the results.

Files that were compressed:
    Powerpoint (.ppt)
    Word (.doc)
    Excel (.xls)
    Bitmap (.bmp)

Files that were not compressed:
    Access (.mdb)
    Image (.gif)
    Image (.jpg)
    Text (.txt)
    How about using one of your other email accounts as your primary rather than using the sprintPCS account?
  11.    #11  
    The problem has nothing to do with Spints mail, it is Sprint's network that is the problem. All data goes through their proxy servers/gateways. The compression is happening at these servers. It doesn't matter where the mail is being collected from.
    I spoke witha tier-2 rep this a.m. He claimed that the .cab compression is a known Sprint network "problem" that they are working on to resolve. Also said that he expects a fix to be implemented soon that will remove the compression ... don't hold your breath.

I also suggest that anyone with an interest in getting the compression removed call Sprint's tech support at 877-228-2257 and complain REAL LOUD & OFTEN!
    Nearly every wireless carrier worldwide uses compression on their 2.5G and 3G networks. Only a few of these offer the ability to turn the compression off. T-Mobile offer this option - their compressor proxy is called Speedwise. Sprint use another compression proxy but do not appear to have a way of turning it off. SnapperMail developers should be aware of this requirement on packet based networks and compensate for it. Sprint may also want to consider an option to be able to turn off compression as a Vision user setting.
    I forwarded this thread to a contact I have at Sprint PCS Corporate offices. She was concerned and immediately sent it to her tech colleagues.

She's been working with me to get Business Connection working properly and appears to be very good.

Geoffrey
    I presume that BC is not affected by this in relation to attachment support?
    I may be mis-understanding the issue here so let me know if I am.

In my openion we are currently using the mos powerfull pda/phone combo on the sprint network.

Is it not possible to writ a palm program that will just decompress the cab files. After all it is on the fly compression and the algerythems couldn't be any more complex than those for a zip file are.
  17.    #17  
    BC is not affected since it doesn't support attachments at all. If it ever does support attachments, I imagine it will have the same issue.
    The likelyhood that the compression will be taken off is probably remote. May want to ask the same (or similar question) at developer.sprintpcs.com
    There are some very knowledgeable people there.
    Hmmm...I use Corsoft's Aileron for my email, and I get both .xls and .doc attachments just fine. I open them with Doc-to-go. I wonder if Aileron converts the document to something else when it sends to my 300, and then reconverts to .doc when it comes through?
  20.    #20  
    Airleron uses a middleware/proxy server approach. When you fetch mail, the application actually contacts Corsofts servers which then contact your mail servers. The messages are retrieved to the Corsoft server where the attachments are converted to Palm pdb files and then sent on to the Aileron app in your Treo. That is why it takes so long to download messages on Aileron. It does solve the attachment issue, but you also pay a $50/yr subscription fee and are totally reliant on Corsofts proxy servers to get you email.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast