Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Is there a workaround for the cab files?
  2. #22  
    Can you point me to a mail client that handles attachments and is NOT bundled with a service (i.e., doesn't send your email through their servers).

    Inbox to Go and Snappermail both use their own (Snappermail only for attachments, apparently, but still it's there).
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  3. #23  
    It is hard, becuase the servers make things eaiser.

    Palm OS cannot read the excel and word files nativly. Even if it did, it is still a lot of work on teh 33 mhz processor to decode things. So ahveing a 2 ghz processor server that can change the data into a redable format makes thing a lot easier. There are other applications for it - basically it optimizes data, and that is a needed hting.

    Granted, I would request a privacy policy from them before using their service, and perhaps if you were into a big buisness ask them to sign and NDA to make sure...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4. #24  
    Originally posted by manorton
    Is there a workaround for the cab files?
    Until there is a solution for the cab file wrapper put on by Sprint the attachment functionality is useless. Is there anything in the works?
  5. nlk10010's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #25  
    Originally posted by markshelby
    Can you point me to a mail client that handles attachments and is NOT bundled with a service (i.e., doesn't send your email through their servers).

    Inbox to Go and Snappermail both use their own (Snappermail only for attachments, apparently, but still it's there).
    Are you certain about SM using a proxy server of some kind?

    I know Inbox-to-Go does (and works very well except it's still only one POP account) but I DIDN'T think SM used any intervening server (even for attachments).

    =NLK=
  6. #26  
    Snappermail in the future as I recal lwill use their server for file types not supported by DocsToGo, or other palm OS programs. Right now i don't think they have the server devleoped, so it is not in use. I'm sure that there could/will be an option to deny Snappermail the option of using the server.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  7. #27  
    Is if they would just make the server-side software available for those of us who have static IPs.

    Or if one could just automate a few things on your home PC, you could replace all this crap with remote hotsync.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  8. #28  
    So after all of this time wanting to use SM as my email app of choice and not being able to due to it's lack of SSL support, I just purchased it (now that they do support it) and think it's a great app but now I've got this .cab problem when receiving word docs or excel files.
    Am I going to have a similar problem as you all are (w/Sprint) that adds the .cab extension after the .doc in the attachement preventing me from opening the file? Has anyone come up with a work around for this?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  9. #29  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    So after all of this time wanting to use SM as my email app of choice and not being able to due to it's lack of SSL support, I just purchased it (now that they do support it) and think it's a great app but now I've got this .cab problem when receiving word docs or excel files.
    Am I going to have a similar problem as you all are (w/Sprint) that adds the .cab extension after the .doc in the attachement preventing me from opening the file? Has anyone come up with a work around for this?
    Boy this sucks!! I can see the network operator compressing all traffic, but to reconstruct every email message for you sounds absurd!

    For critical stuff that you HAVE TO read on the go, you could ask the email sender to zip the files before they (re)send them.

    Alternatively, I can think of a very convoluted complete solution for this. If you run your own machine at home that's always on the internet, you can make it fetch all your mail and be your mail server. You can also set it up to zip every attachment as the mail comes in (or all attachments into one zip file). SnapperMail would then be able to open the zip files and then you could open the contents. Looong workaround, but if you're handy with such things as linux, sendmail and procmail, it could be an afternoon's worth of work to set it up
    Last edited by silverado; 07/15/2003 at 03:43 PM.
  10. #30  
    I am on Sprint and not getting the cab file problem

    Originally posted by millerhifi
    So after all of this time wanting to use SM as my email app of choice and not being able to due to it's lack of SSL support, I just purchased it (now that they do support it) and think it's a great app but now I've got this .cab problem when receiving word docs or excel files.
    Am I going to have a similar problem as you all are (w/Sprint) that adds the .cab extension after the .doc in the attachement preventing me from opening the file? Has anyone come up with a work around for this?
  11. #31  
    Originally posted by silverado

    Alternatively, I can think of a very convoluted complete solution for this. If you run your own machine at home that's always on the internet, you can make it fetch all your mail and be your mail server. You can also set it up to zip every attachment as the mail comes in (or all attachments into one zip file). SnapperMail would then be able to open the zip files and then you could open the contents. Looong workaround, but if you're handy with such things as linux, sendmail and procmail, it could be an afternoon's worth of work to set it up
    Come to think of it, if you're reading email from your own server, try changing the port number for POP. That might just do the trick.
  12. #32  
    Thanks but I'm in no way that computer savey to try your suggestion.
    When you say "reading email from your own server" do you mean if I had my own personel server at home or ISP provider? My personal email is thru Comcast.
    This blows!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  13. #33  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    So after all of this time wanting to use SM as my email app of choice and not being able to due to it's lack of SSL support, I just purchased it (now that they do support it) and think it's a great app but now I've got this .cab problem when receiving word docs or excel files.
    Am I going to have a similar problem as you all are (w/Sprint) that adds the .cab extension after the .doc in the attachement preventing me from opening the file? Has anyone come up with a work around for this?
    Cingular? Right?

    Read:

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/message/5167

    the quoted email from jennifer.

    The pdf is at:

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/files/

    quick read makes it sound like all you need to do is change account settings to turn it off?

    hope im right.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  14. #34  
    Originally posted by Felipe


    Cingular? Right?

    Read:

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/message/5167

    the quoted email from jennifer.

    The pdf is at:

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/files/

    quick read makes it sound like all you need to do is change account settings to turn it off?

    hope im right.
    Thanks Felipe
    I'll check it out!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  15. #35  
    I just tried downloading a 40kb Word (.doc) attachment to make sure Sprint hadn't changed recently; Snappermail recognized it as a .doc file and "beamed" it to QuickOffice, which displayed it correctly.

    I love Snappermail! (I just wish there were a solution for native format .tif and .pdf attachments.)

    (BTW, this is a very old thread, and it has some outdated information--including for example my old post above, which was based on info. on the Snappermail website from 9 months ago and is not correct).
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  16. #36  
    I searched the forum for cab files and that's why I just figured I post here....
    I definitely have the CAB problem because I emailed a word doc to myself and after I downloaded it w/SM it became a .doc.cab file which I could not open.
    I think Felipe found how to solve my problem at the SM yahoo forum but since the Cingular gprs settings are locked I'm not sure how to change the "username" and "password" that apparently will remove the CAB compressions from Cingular.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  17. #37  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    I think Felipe found how to solve my problem at the SM yahoo forum but since the Cingular gprs settings are locked I'm not sure how to change the "username" and "password" that apparently will remove the CAB compressions from Cingular.
    You can copy the locked profile, then modify the copy and use it as your default connection.
  18. #38  
    You guys rock!!!

    It works great now!

    Thank you
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  19. #39  
    Originally posted by jhubers
    Bad news for SnapperMail fans..... I just got of the phone with Sprint Level 2 support. The Vision network is definelty ccompressing the attachments. It is the way the network is currently configured and there is no way around it at this point.
    Sprint is full of bull****. I just sent myself a 160K powerpoint which showed up fine in snappermail.

    My difference? I was using SSL wrapped and secured email server. Sprint has NO way of modifying whats in the payload of an SSL tunnel without it bolloxing the transfer up.

    The .PPT came through loud and clear.

    fyi. Hope this helps someone.

    /v
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions