1.    #1  
    Came home from work today, had a couple of voice calls but no data usage (not even an SMS) on the way. An hour after I got home I noticed the Treo was warm and the red light was flashing, sure sign of the dreaded data transfer issue - where the green data arrows stay lit and drain the battery dry. Evidently the phone is transmitting something the whole time... or at least the radio is actively sending a signal.

This is obviously a bug, and several have written about it. Is there a definitive fix?

Thanks,

Brandon
    Do you use any data apps? MidCast, the financial app, drained my battery a couple of times. The upcoming Treo version is supposed to have a better disconnect (leave inactive connection up, not active) when it ships. I've also had the problem with Iambic mail as it insists on leaving an active connection up after you've polled your mail servers. I've written to them a dozen times about the issue, but they never even acknowledged me. So now I'm happily using SnapperMail! I've heard that some dynamic web pages viewed with Blazer will also leave the connection up and active - there'll probably be a hot fix for that sometime soon too.

Dunc
    I don't use any data apps except for Business Connect to get my email and this has happens to me about once a week.

I've noticed when you are in a fringe area or have no reception, it seems the Treo gets confused and can get stuck in a trying to connect mode where it is trying to get my email.
    It appears that, unlike a normal cell phone that goes into "sleep" mode when it can't find a signal after a while, the Treo keeps on searching, using LOTS of power to try to get a signal. Beware!
    Originally posted by adamrogers
    I don't use any data apps except for Business Connect to get my email and this has happens to me about once a week.
    Well, Business Connect is a data app - if it's getting your email. Never having used it I don't know if it closes the data connection properly after polling your email servers. If you say it gets confused and continually tries to retrieve mail when you're on the outlying edges of your coverage then I would venture a guess that it's the source of your problems.

I've heard others say that the Treo eats up batteries while looking for a signal, but I haven't noticed that. I drive three hours to work, each way - about an hour of which I'm off the network. I have yet to notice any appreciable battery usage during my commute. I take that back - I have yet to notice any appreciable battery usage since removing MidCast and Iambic Mail from my Treo!

Dunc
  6.    #6  
    I'm using BC personal edition and Eudora. Also use an SSH client but it seems to terminate normally. I'd put my money on BizConnect, because both times this has occured for me has been on the way home from work - good coverage the whole way - but the host PC for BizConnect is offline, BC may get hung up looking for a sync?

I'm hoping HandSpring has a nice flash upgrade down the road to fix the numerous little bugs we keep finding. Don't get me wrong, this is the single best device I've ever bought, but a few bug fixes wouldn't hurt.

Brandon
    I never had drain problem until Biz Conn... Never have is when Biz Conn disabled.
    Originally posted by sbcrair
    It appears that, unlike a normal cell phone that goes into "sleep" mode when it can't find a signal after a while, the Treo keeps on searching, using LOTS of power to try to get a signal. Beware!
    Amen to that! And what's worse is that eventually (if you still have some battery power left), you'll have to soft reset the Treo to get it to connect to the network (once you get back in range). This has been reported to Sprint.

I'd suggest you open a case to Sprint for the battery exhaustion issue. See other threads in this group for details...
    Originally posted by cbtrussell
    Came home from work today, had a couple of voice calls but no data usage (not even an SMS) on the way. An hour after I got home I noticed the Treo was warm and the red light was flashing, sure sign of the dreaded data transfer issue - where the green data arrows stay lit and drain the battery dry. Evidently the phone is transmitting something the whole time... or at least the radio is actively sending a signal.

This is obviously a bug, and several have written about it. Is there a definitive fix?

Thanks,

Brandon
    So what are the exact signs to look for in order to identify this issue?