1.    #1  
    Hello 270 users!

I'm considering buying one but the black screen problem, incoming calls freezing the device, 16MB memory only, make me reluctant to commit close to 1,000.- in this phone.

Could I get your detailed comments and would you buy it again with your current experience?

TIA for your input!
    As you read these threads, it's obvious that the 270 diehards and excited owners still outnumber the complainers (some of them probably planted by the competition). All the problems reported previously had been addressed by Handspring and readily replaced with good units. You will not get stuck with a bad one if that's what you are worried about.

I've had problems with mine but my unit was replaced in 3 business days, more than 3 months ago. I am now enjoying it in my real estate business which demands a lot of telephone calls (use my Headset most of the time) and very heavy use of the PDA for client info, listings database, pictures, etc.. Starting to use it more than my laptop because I'm out of the office a lot. And look what's on the horizon - GPRS!! I get excited just monitoring the hysteria going on already and I could hardly wait to join in but I couldn't take a chance until Handspring fully supports it. Go for it!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Handspring makes good and innovative products. The Treo 270 is just one of this great products. It is unbeaten in a Palm/GSM phone combo category. However they made a blunder on this one. Honestly, I believed that it's poor quality control. I am on my third Treo unit due to the blank screen problem. Since I come from Asia,(my unit was bought in the States) it takes a while before I can get my replacement. Of the 4 months that has passed since I bought my Treo, 2 1/2 months of that was spent on shipping back the unit to the US and waiting for my replacement Treo. It's not a big hassle if you live in the States. But for us in the far east....its terrible.
    International Handspring(Singapore) support will replace my unit in 7 days but they will replace my unit with a 900/1800 unit and not like the one I have which is a 900/1900. That's unfair... It's good I still kept my old Handpring Prism/Visorphone with me. I use it during the time my unit is being replaced. But how about others who don't have a replacement unit to use??
    Try to read as much postings here as you can before you decide on buying.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Having indicated euros, I think you are European, just like me. If you buy your Treo 270 from Handspring's web site (www.handspring.co.uk serves all Europe) it costs 699 euro + VAT, and you will get it in max 2 working days. You can even choose between the 900/1800 and 900/1900 versions.
    I have never needed a replacement, but should you have any problems, they send you a replacement within 2/3 days BEFORE you ship the defective one back.
    I bought it 2/3 weeks ago, and I experienced a few software bugs, which I noticed have all disappeared with the new GPRS official upgrade.
    Usability is much better than a normal mobile phone, and if you normally use a PalmOS handheld, the combo is definitely for you.
    Talking about it as a phone, the volume of the speaker is louder than normal mobile phones, and the speakerphone is quite usable too, even though it drags your battery very quickly.
    Reception is excellent, only the battery lasts less than a normal mobile phone.
    Buy it with confidence!
    as someone who's owned tons of devices, the treo 270 is one of the few to exceed expectations. i think it's amazing - the only complaint is the battery life, and i've read that an external battery is coming. regardless, it charges VERY quickly.
    The Treo 270 is the greatest toy I have ever owned.
    Bought mine 2 months ago, upgraded to GPRS 1.0 as soon as it got out and now 1.1 with storming results. Much better than a normal Palm (have owned Palm Pilot, Psion 5 MX, Visor Paltinum with Stowaway keyboard) and mobile combo. Build quality and battery life (2 days with talk, pda and serious GPRS use at least 5 MB a month) not brilliant but on-balance benefits far outstrips the negative aspects. Looked at xda as the only other viable option but as a light usable phone-pda unit, the Treo 270 is much, much superior (not to mention even lighter and compact than a standard Palm 515!)
    Just to speak a bit about the benefits of havint a hybrid unit. I waited for years for someone to get it right and handspring has. My requirements were that it had to be Palm OS and GSM. This is the one to get! Before this I had a SonyEricsson T68i AND a Sony Clie NR-70. So I got rid of two VERY good devices just to get the Treo. I am happy with it in every way...
  9.    #9  
    Thanks to all the people who answered my question and a BIG thanks to the moderate tone of all the answers.

They all made me more confident in the product.

I'll check the availability in my own country and the after-sales service, just in case!

Thanks again.
    Originally posted by Willz
    Bought mine 2 months ago, upgraded to GPRS 1.0 as soon as it got out and now 1.1 with storming results. Much better than a normal Palm (have owned Palm Pilot, Psion 5 MX, Visor Paltinum with Stowaway keyboard) and mobile combo. Build quality and battery life (2 days with talk, pda and serious GPRS use at least 5 MB a month) not brilliant but on-balance benefits far outstrips the negative aspects. Looked at xda as the only other viable option but as a light usable phone-pda unit, the Treo 270 is much, much superior (not to mention even lighter and compact than a standard Palm 515!)
    2 days??? that's impressive.

i too gave up a t68i and i705 to get the treo.
    I am one of those who complained a lot about the Treo 270 (I am the proud owner of a device that has been replaced four times now!).

As I always said, Treo is a great device that suffered from being put on the market too early.
    Now (especially with the GPRS 1.1 upgrade) I must say that I enjoy owning one.

I would only add that I am not happy from Handspring Customer Support both in Europe and America.
    They are never been able to solve any of my problems (the replacement units come from a local dealer - not Handspring), hardware or software.

All my problems were fixed with the help of this forum.
    Thank you guys!
    Treo 270 is the best hybrid device out there, but it has problems:
    1) bad sms program. but lets hope 1 of the 3rd party sms prog being developed out there will be easy to use.
    2) small, unupgradable memory. i already used up my memory, have to keep deleting files/programs w/c is quite annoying.
    3) the biggest problem- horrendous battery life. I overnight charge till I leave home at 6:30 am. with heavy use, the battery will be drained at ard 4:00 pm, less than 10 hours. with normal use, it will last till 8:30 pm, about 14 hours. thank god for car chargers.
    I have had both Treo 180 and now 270. This is the best product I have ever had !!!! The only problem now is the SMS program and also the capital letter "I". We don't use that in Norway. Go ahead - BUY IT !!!
    Originally posted by Arne
    I The only problem now is the SMS program
    Very average battery life, I agree.
    I wish the battery would last longer, as I am a heavy user.
    I should consider buying a car charger...

But I don't agree with your opinion on the SMS program.
    I like it: it is easy to use and efficient.
    I only wished you could send the same message to more than one contact at a time...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Basically I'm in agreement with all the strengths and weaknesses already mentioned so I won't duplicate previous comments. But one big plus that hasn't been mentioned is the Web Browser, Blazer. This is not a great browser (can't do frames or javascript but does support cookies) but combined with the 270's bright color screen, it actually makes wireless web surfing pleasurable. I used to have a "WAP-enabled" cell phone for which I paid an extra US$15/month for that was completely useless. In fact, it was so bad I didn't think I'd ever use a wireless web browser again but on the 270 it's pretty decent.

It will be much better with always on service (currently you have to dial-up your ISP using its wireless modem) but it's soooo much better than using little screens on little phones.