1. dmc
    Is anyone using the Treo300 w/out Vision i.e. just on the old network? My company pays for my minutes as part of a pooled minutes plan. At this time they have no plans to change to Vision. Are there any gotcha's to this setup?

I'm really just looking for a phone/pda combo. I don't need to use the device to surf the web or do wireless e-mail right now. As long as the standard phone and palm funtionality is there, I'll be happy.

I sent the same question to Sprint via e-mail but their response was beyond unintelligible. It appeared to be a mixture of an automated response with some human addendum.
    Originally posted by dmc
    Is anyone using the Treo300 w/out Vision i.e. just on the old network? My company pays for my minutes as part of a pooled minutes plan. At this time they have no plans to change to Vision. Are there any gotcha's to this setup?

I'm really just looking for a phone/pda combo. I don't need to use the device to surf the web or do wireless e-mail right now. As long as the standard phone and palm funtionality is there, I'll be happy.

I sent the same question to Sprint via e-mail but their response was beyond unintelligible. It appeared to be a mixture of an automated response with some human addendum.
    Yes there is a gotcha - from all reports you will be charged 40 cents a minute WW uses. They will not allow you to add WW to your plan if you have a TREO. So you get hit with the .40 cents - This has been verified by actual sprint bills.
    I am in common with the starter of this thread - I am only interested in using the Treo as a phone and pda, and save web surfing for my computers, but I don't understand the first reply - what do you mean by "ww" minutes at 40 cents?

Do you mean the web? If so, how would that come into play if the user doesn't surf the web, and just signs up for the minimum plan listed by sprint, for "light" web users and then never uses that feature?

Or even transfers an existing plan, which I also understood can be done?

NateS
    Sprint does not allow you to add their "wireless web" option (extra $5/month, 14.4kbps dialup, data useage is deducted from your minutes) to their Vision plans. However, you can still access this "WW" feature even if you have a Vision plan but since you can't add the $5/month option to your account, Sprint's default charge of 39 or 40 cents/minute for their old 14.4kbps data useage will apply for the minutes you use when you use this data option. Of course, if you are just interested in using the voice and PDA features of the Treo and not the wireless data options, it is entirely possible to sign up for the Vision plan that gives you the least amount of data (2 megs). You'll be paying an extra $10/month for that 2 megs (comapred to their "free and clear" voice plans) but other than that, as long as you don't access Sprint's 14.4kbps "WW" option, you won't be paying any extra charges such as the aforementioned 40 cents/minute.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 10/02/2002 at 11:24 PM.
    You can use your Treo 300 under your old plan just like any other cell phone. We used it for the shared plan initially and then I changed to the Vision services. Interestingly, Sprint allowed my phone to continue to be part of the shared minutes plan. So I continue to share the minutes and add my minutes and have 20mb of data for about 20-30 more per month.
    You can use your Treo 300 under your old plan just like any other cell phone. We used it for the shared plan initially and then I changed to the Vision services. Interestingly, Sprint allowed my phone to continue to be part of the shared minutes plan. So I continue to share the minutes and add my minutes and have 20mb of data for about 20-30 more per month.
    In other words, I can just buy my Treo 300 from Handspring, sign onto the Sprint website, and transfer my $29 month plan from my old cell phone to my new Treo? If so, that's great!

And as long as I don't use the web, I'm okay?

Do I understand you correctly on this?

Regards,

NateS
    I bought it from Handspring. When it arrived my office manager called our account rep and they changed the number over the phone and it worked fine. Later I added the vision services and that was a pain in the .... but it works great now.
    How about for new subscribers? Will Sprint allow them to activate the Treo 300 on a non-Vision plan?