Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recall discussion a while back about the included car charger causing problems. I'm now getting a bunch of "fatal alert" messages when I try to use the Palm functions when the phone is connected to the car charger.

Is there another model of car charger available?
    I use my car charger all the time and have not seen a fatal error yet. Have you installed any third party software recently ?

And ofcourse I am refering to Treo 180/270 car charger, as the one that ships with Treo 300 (included in the box) is from a different manufacturer, and I have no experience with Treo 300.
    As far as I can tell from my own experience, the problem is with the charger cable that came with the Treo 300. I get a fatal alert almost every time I finish a call while on the charger, and sometimes when I receive an SMS. This behavior began before any non-OEM apps were installed. My friends who use the Treo 180/270 charger have had no problems at all. I really think Sprint should take care of this -- I just don't want to spend 2 hours getting them to do it!
    My device (and charger) seem to work fine, with a TON of 3rd party apps installed. End a call - fine. Do Palm stuff - fine. No issues for me with the charger...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I too have had crashes related to the car charger. I thought it was just me and mine.
    I've also experienced problems with the Sprint car charger. My understanding is that it's VERY common. I don't know what the fix will be, but it's pathetic that Sprint hasn't done anything yet about it, when they do know about it.
    Originally posted by mfequity
    I recall discussion a while back about the included car charger causing problems. I'm now getting a bunch of "fatal alert" messages when I try to use the Palm functions when the phone is connected to the car charger.

Is there another model of car charger available?
    When I first got the unit, I had fatal errors. I thought it might be the charger as I read - but it turned out to be AIM. Removed AIM, no more fatal errors. I use the charger when needed - no problems.
    I, too had problems with the charger provided by Sprint. I went and got the one directly from Handspring, and the problems have gone away.
    Out of frustration with my Sprint car charger routinely causing fatal errors, I bought the Handspring car charger. It's better, but there are still problems. I no longer get fatal errors, but after any extended period of car charger use, I can no longer get a good data connection without a reset.

Does anyone have any guesses if this is about my Treo? I do not have, or have ever had, the AOL Im app.
    I used to get fatal errors whenever I attempted to use any of the functions on my Treo while plugged into the supplied car charger. I bought a charger direct from handspring at the problems have gone away.
    Same experience here.
    I went to my local store and explained my difficulty and they replaced the charger (no charge) and the problem has gone away....for now.
    Just thought I'd throw in my "me too". With the car charger plugged in, I was not able to connect to the phone network ("Welcome to Sprint...") without the unit crashing and needing a reset.
    My treo300 came with a car charger bundled with the unit... don't know if that makes a difference... however I use it all the time while connected to the auto charger and have had absolutly no problems at all.

Just out of curiosity -- how did you aquire your car chargers? Sprint Store -or- HandSpring -or- Bundled w/ original purchase??
    A lot of people are having problems with their Sprint-supplied chargers. It appears that most people who have these problems solve them by purchasing a third-party charger. It's pathetic, since Sprint is aware of the issue, that they haven't done anything about it.
    The problem seems to occur with mine only if the battery in the Treo is already low. If I top it up then the charger works fine. I think that may be the key - use the charger before you really need to and it works OK. But of course when you really need it, it may fail you.

I hear that Sprint stores may have replacement chargers now. I am going to go ask for one.
    Hey-

I just wanted to let you guys know, I had a Treo 300 from Sprint about a month ago...it was a mess, so I returned it during the trial period. Later I found a guy that knew how to get things working and I got another Treo 300 from Sprint

Anyway, the point is the first phone had a CRAPPY looking car charger...it had a red LED and the end that plugged into the phone was held together with 2 little screws...is this sounding familiar to you guys.

Well, the new one has a green LED and the phone end is identical to the one on the AC charger, so it looks like they switched suppliers (maybe straight to handspring). It also came in a RED poly bag

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up!

Matt
    Originally posted by u00mem9
    Anyway, the point is the first phone had a CRAPPY looking car charger...it had a red LED and the end that plugged into the phone was held together with 2 little screws...is this sounding familiar to you guys.

Well, the new one has a green LED and the phone end is identical to the one on the AC charger, so it looks like they switched suppliers (maybe straight to handspring). It also came in a RED poly bag
    Hmm, I wonder if there's a third variant of the car charger. I just replaced my Treo with a new from from Circuit City using my Cityadvantage Protection Plan, and the car charger has a red LED, not a green one, and came in the old clear poly bag with a label featuring:

(bar code)
    ICTREO-YT1

VPA For Use with
    Handspring Treo

(UPC bar code)
    7 60492 00098 7

ICTREO-YT1

Made in China
    but the connector that plugs into the Treo is identical to the one on the AC charger, not the old version held together with screws.

Think this is a third variant and also has the fix for the fatal alert issue, or do I need to swap this out at a Sprint store?
    My car charger starting causing me problems a few months ago. I went to a pcs store in San Jose and told one of the workers about it. He slipped into the supply room and gave me a free car charger. He seemed as though he was doing me a favor, but after seeing the number of other people that have had the same problem, i suspect sprint has taken some action and stocked some stores with extra chargers...its worth a shot to ask.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Hmm, I wonder if there's a third variant of the car charger. I just replaced my Treo with a new from from Circuit City using my Cityadvantage Protection Plan, and the car charger has a red LED, not a green one, and came in the old clear poly bag with a label featuring:

[...]

but the connector that plugs into the Treo is identical to the one on the AC charger, not the old version held together with screws.

Think this is a third variant and also has the fix for the fatal alert issue, or do I need to swap this out at a Sprint store?
    I think I can answer my own question. Sprint's network has apparently been out in my area (work: Anaheim, and home: Costa Mesa) for some hours and my Treo's battery was dangerously low.

On the drive home I tried to use my car charger, but it failed to work properly (no fatal alerts, but the charge indicator was completely sporadic and when I disconnected it, it didn't seem to have been charged up much if at all during the 15-20 minute drive).

So apparently any of the ones with the red LEDs (regardless of whether the connector is the old screw-type or not) are defective.

Guess I'll check with my local Sprint store to see if they stock replacements.
    I just purchased a treo 300. My unit almost always crashes if I plug it in with the wireless on. If I turn off wireless, it seems to work fine. Has anyone ever found a solution to this provlem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast