1.    #1  
    Hey all!

I am so close to a treo300 purchase I can't stand it!

However: I do have some questions that I hope my fellow board members can help me with...

1- Has anyone heard anything in regards to Palm OS 5 being able to run on the Treo? is this even possible?

2- Do any of you miss the ability to use a MMC or SSD card?

3- Can you talk & surf simultaneously?

4- Can you talk and use any of the other apps on the Treo300 simultaneously? (Like Note/Contacts/Calendar/etc).

5- What negative issues have you run into during "day-today" usage?

TIA!
    -Serp
    Originally posted by Serpico
    Hey all!

I am so close to a treo300 purchase I can't stand it!

However: I do have some questions that I hope my fellow board members can help me with...

1- Has anyone heard anything in regards to Palm OS 5 being able to run on the Treo? is this even possible?

2- Do any of you miss the ability to use a MMC or SSD card?

3- Can you talk & surf simultaneously?

4- Can you talk and use any of the other apps on the Treo300 simultaneously? (Like Note/Contacts/Calendar/etc).

5- What negative issues have you run into during "day-today" usage?

TIA!
    -Serp
    1: I don't think so.
    2: Yes I do miss the flexibility of having extra memory around. I used to use a Clie (Still do in my office) and the ability to put sensitive data on a memory stick to lock up at night is nice.
    3: I have not been able to do that, but I am usually more engaged in conversation and my multitask abilities are extremely taxed when I surf and talk at the same time on a Palm device (a different story on the desktop)
    4: Yes. I put the call on speaker and take notes. Having finally customized my Treo to the way I like (adding capabilities like Newpen 1.3, MarknDial 0.2, and Datebook5 on my system, I really don't need to carry a pen around anymore.
    5: The biggest headache: Battery life. I work in a "black box" building where cell signal is weak. Having the phone constantly seeking a signal really drains the battery. (So does a lot of data calls in areas with marginal signal) No wonder they included a car charger with the Treo. The other headache: you need to have a lot of patience to get the system set up to the way you want, but this is actually a plus, when is the last time you can get a cell phone to take notes at meetings, send and receive AOL IM, ICQ messages, and check all my POP email?

Another plus, the sound quality of the TREO/ Vision is amazing. I am one of those people who have shed the bondage of a landline at home. (I use a Cable Modem for surfing) and my Treo as my "home phone" Couple of my friends noted from the sound quality that they thought I'd gone back to the landline. They were wrong. Oh the final plus... using a Treo in public is an interesting way to meet people.

Good luck. I thought it was worth the pain.
    #1 Nope, Handspring and Sprint would have to work this out if a new OS was to be used in order to not screw everything up.

#2 Definitely!

#3 Nope

#4 Yep, talk and take minutes, etc. all work like a charm. Put it on speakerphone and take a memo to your hearts content. Do it for my wife all the time when shopping and she calls with another request...

#5 Nothing really. At times, the network data connection doesn't go through (you connect, but can't access any web sites). Usually, if you just retry/refresh, it works. My Treo has about a mm wiggle in the lid when open. Annoying, but seems others have the same issue. I've brought it up in a round-about way to the VP of manufacturing at Handspring. The screen is somewhat difficult to see in direct sunlight.

Good luck. I think that it is one of the best PDA/phone combo's in existence!

Nobull
  4.    #4  
    Done deal. I went to my local Sprint PCS store and walked out with an investment I feel good about.

Had no provisioning issues as the rep. set it up for me. Was online in a matter of 15 minutes.

I did have an issue when I changed my Vision ID and PW, but a little investigating took me to the 'Network' prefs and after making the adjustments there manually AFTER changing the ID & PW on the SprintPCS website all is well.

I love this device. I am a former i705'r so having everything wrapped up into one unit is a tremendous advantage.

Thanks for the input folks!

-Serp.
    Welcome to the "club!"

nobull
    1.) Just to put the nail in the coffin, the Treo 300 will never be able to run OS 5. That OS has an entirely different set of hardware requirements, mainly the processor.