1.    #1  
    I know this is probably common knowledge but, after hours agonizing over the phone with sprints "customer care", I finally reached a rep. who knew what he was doing. He told me that Sprint vision was available for most of their vision phones but not quite yet for the Treo 300. He said there was no way to download any games or ringers using the Treo 300. I just wanted to make sure that anybody else doesn't have anything to say to the contrary after getting the "official" word from sprint.

Luckly the phone is great....but I feel like I have spent $500 on a phone that doesn't quite have the capabilities that I was told it would....yet.

-g
    Welcome to the real world. Many of us feel the same way, including that Sprint rolled out PCS Vision way too soon (they should've had the kinks ironed out). However, I enjoy being a tester, and am glad I get Vision free for 3 months!

Nobull
  3.    #3  
    I think thats my point....we're vision testers but we don't have much to test. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do some limited surfing on the Treo, but they really went out of their way to sell me on the vision usage. Once I signed up, then the truth came out. At least the phone is g3 capable and will be ready for whenever sprint gets it going.

Hopefully, they will extend the trial period for Treo users after it gets going, especially considering the major component to the trial is unlimited downloads. The sales rep. sold me on using the trial period to download as many apps as possible. Funny how communicative the senior operators are with their sales dept.
    Originally posted by gregcoy
    I think thats my point....we're vision testers but we don't have much to test. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do some limited surfing on the Treo, but they really went out of their way to sell me on the vision usage. Once I signed up, then the truth came out. At least the phone is g3 capable and will be ready for whenever sprint gets it going.

Hopefully, they will extend the trial period for Treo users after it gets going, especially considering the major component to the trial is unlimited downloads. The sales rep. sold me on using the trial period to download as many apps as possible. Funny how communicative the senior operators are with their sales dept.
    I dont get your point. You cant download ringers and images. Man, you dont need vision to do that. Think of the treo as what it truley is. A palm based pda which includes a phone. and fast as heck internet access. I can access everything AND more than sprint could ever provide. If you look at it that way and look for applications that are palm based, and not some fancy smancy vision based, you will see just how truely great this "communicator" is.
    Yes - remember that the so-called 'Vision' features (some of them anyway), are not and were never intended for the Treo. In fact, every Treo-specific ad I've seen has the icons for web access and e-mail as the ones that apply to the Treo.
    Those other functions - screensavers, blah blah - are really intended for the devices based on the J2ME platform, not Palm OS. So - let's compare what you're 'not' getting:

Screensavers? You can get skins from Handspring, with a TON of images to select from.
    Downloadable games? C'mon - there are 1000s of games available for the Palm OS.
    Ringtones? bunch of apps to choose from there (I don't use em but I know they're there).
    I guess the only thing you can't do yet that you can with some of the other Vision phones is take pictures.

So I don't see what the beef is with Sprint, gregcoy - you're not missing anything with this device. It's marketed as enhanced web and e-mail access device, not a ringtone and image device. I've seen those other phones they show in their ads, and they're intended for a different market. Small and compact, with predictive text input as the interface. No thanks.
    I HAVE the Vision.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the responses although I'm sorry no one sees my point about downloading directly to the unit wirelessly. Ive been a palm Vii user for years so yes, I know there are 1000's of games and apps etc. I was told that a good portion of web clipping apps wouldn't work for the unit, btw. And I was told that some of the apps can not be deleted on the unit. If this isn't true, by all means, flame me.

-g
    Last edited by gregcoy; 10/01/2002 at 04:33 PM.
    You can run PQAs on this device if you go seek and load up some libraries and the like - search for PQA on the forum, and there's links to places where folks have posted the software. And, if you locate and run the PalmGear HQ PQA, you can download apps wirelessly (although their selection is pretty limited - about 15 or 20 PQAs, as I recall - things like Starbucks locator, etc).

I do hear your point about not being able to download other things wirelessly - I guess the Palm OS, not being Java-based, and not really reaching the masses as do the other small phones, really isn't the platform that Sprint sees as being able to perform those functions. So it's really a limitation of the OS -since it's neither J2ME nor BREW, it can't suck down network content like the other devices.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks nrosser. If I ever have trouble with any apps on the device I will certainly post it on this forum, if it hadn't been brought up before. If I can avoid vision and do the things that I want to do with the device, I will be happy.

I've never asked Sprint if you can use them for just voice on the Treo and use another provider for data.....anybody doing that with the Treo 300? I hope that the answer isn't painfully obvious to everyone but me.

-g
    I'm afraid I don't understand.

Sprint evil beancounter says "if we cripple these new 3G phones so people can't download free stuff from their PC to their phones, then we can charge people a lot of money for crappy ringers and games because they won't have any alternative".

Sprint marketing guy responds "that works with our regular phones, but if we disable PC syncing functionality on the PDA phones, no one will buy them."

YOU say "No wait, I WANT to buy your crappy stuff."
    I've never asked Sprint if you can use them for just voice on the Treo and use another provider for data.....anybody doing that with the Treo 300? I hope that the answer isn't painfully obvious to everyone but me.
    You can't.

But it seems to me, if I understand you correctly, that you don't have a data problem, you just have a download problem. Another data service provider isn't going to fix that, only a software provider (by licensing an app that handles downloads, either standalone or in conjunction with their own proprietary service).
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Originally posted by markshelby
    I'm afraid I don't understand.

Sprint evil beancounter says "if we cripple these new 3G phones so people can't download free stuff from their PC to their phones, then we can charge people a lot of money for crappy ringers and games because they won't have any alternative".

It just hit me - I now know whaty they call it vision - ITS SPRINTS VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL - I must say again, the Treo is the only device that takes full advantage of Sprints 2.5G service WITHOUT all the fluff.