1.    #1  
    In announcing the GPRS upgrade for the Treo 180 and 270 (in Europe and Asia) today, Handspring included this very interesting information about a new feature of the upgrade:

"Enhanced navigation between voice and data functions. For example, if you are in the middle of a data session and you receive a voice call, Treo will give you the option to answer the call or send it to voicemail. If you answer the voice call, it will put the data call on hold and resume downloading once you have completed the voice call."

It seems to me as if this gives Treo 180 and 270 users a big advantage over Treo 300 users -- because, in my experience, while using data services on the Treo 300, all calls go automatically to voice mail, without giving an option to answer the call (or even to know that one has come in, except if the caller leaves a voice mail message). This is particularly a problem if you use a service such as TreoMail that checks e-mail regularly (as often as every 30 minutes), because it increases the odds of missing calls.

Does anybody see a way around this Treo 300 data/voice conflict problem -- now or in the future?
    Originally posted by DougI

Does anybody see a way around this Treo 300 data/voice conflict problem -- now or in the future?
    Nope and I recognized this as the way the unit functions before buying, so I'm not pressed about the matter.

As time goes on better units will come. Welcome to the cutting edge. Some win and some win more .
    interesting because i tested this the other day...

i initiated treo mails corporate edition to sync up with my account over the net/back to my home office. during the sync i received a pop-up stating my girlfriend was calling.. do i want to answer. i click yes and talked to her. once i hung up, a second later, my email download continued without a hitch.

bm
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    TREO 300 connection speeds will always be faster than the 270 and 180 units. This is due to the fact that CDMA 2000 networks provide faster connectivity speeds than their counterparts in the GSM/GPRS world.
    In addition the option to receive the call while you're doing a data transfer really does not work that well.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by bostonmerlin
    i initiated treo mails corporate edition to sync up with my account over the net/back to my home office. during the sync i received a pop-up stating my girlfriend was calling.. do i want to answer. i click yes and talked to her. once i hung up, a second later, my email download continued without a hitch.
    Well, this doesn't appear to be the case when using TreoMail Internet Edition. Or when using Blazer. (That is, when using either of these applications -- in an active data session -- incoming calls go directly to voice mail.) Why would TreoMail Corporate Edition be different?
    Basically seems that T-Mobile is in position to kick Sprint in the ****. Their new device is an "always on" packet data device with a $40 a month all you can eat data charge.

Hopefully this will inspire Sprint to offer better deals.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by darnell
    Basically seems that T-Mobile is in position to kick Sprint in the ****. Their new device is an "always on" packet data device with a $40 a month all you can eat data charge.

Hopefully this will inspire Sprint to offer better deals.
    I, too, hope Sprint will offer better deals -- but the T-Mobile plan for the new Sidekick device is not as great as it might at first appear. For $39.95, you do indeed get unlimited data, but only for one year, then it's capped at 15MB. And you only get 200 anytime voice minutes; each additional minute is 35 cents (and there apparently are no other voice plans available). So, someone who uses 500 peak minutes per month would have to pay for 300 additional -- or, $105 on top of the $39.95 rate!

Plus, of course, the Treo 300 offers numerous other advantages, such as color, a faster data network, a better-designed phone, and, of course, thousands of useful applications on the Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    T Mobile rates are good in particular in California which is a market they are penetrating for the first time. But you need to be aware of:

1.- T Mobile shares their network in California for example with Cingular.

2.- T Mobile is not happy with that agreement and the " not very good " service of Cingular, they were trying to buy Cingular and their 22 million suscribers. T-Mobile can do that as they are owned by Deutsche Telecomm.

3.- GSM/GPRS coverage is not as good as advertised as they are also rolling out their network, in similar fashion to Sprint. CDMA 2000 will always beat GPRS hands down no matter what.

4.- I was lucky to beta test a T-Mobile SideKick, is nice toy. But it did not really convince me to buy one. My wife is looking to change her phone and I was thinking that it might work for her. But she did not like it either.

5.- I have give credit to T-Mobile on world coverage,you could use the same phone in Canada as in Latin America with no problem. If you travel a lot GSM and T-Mobile is the way to go. In addition their Pocket PC device is really sweet. I like this better than the sidekick.
  9. Puk
    As far as I've been able to tell, calls to me get sent to voicemail if I'm _currently downloading data_ -- that is, if the little data connection arrows are green. If the arrows are grey (no data flowing), I seem to get the call. So if the web page is done downloading, or is still waiting for a DNS reply, or the mail client is idle, I think you should still get your calls.

I'm not 100% this is correct, but this is the impression I've gotten.

-Puk