1.    #1  
    Checking out the (allegedly) New Palm Communicator and have to say. Looks like a Treo prototype!

Do I like it? If the source of this info is correct, Yes and No:

Yes - SD/MMC slot
    Yes - HiRes screen
    Yes - GPRS (pre-loaded)
    Yes - pre-loaded with DocsToGo

No - OS4.1 (why not OS5)
    No - No built in speaker ?&%$ (headset only!)

I will stick to my Treo. Just like the fact I can hold it up to my ear and use it like a phone
    I like the Treo form factor much better. I hope the next Treo will be OS5.

OS5 will be a godsend. Our testing has shown OS3.5-4.1 is only good for Internet speeds of around 20kps, and in most cases much much less.

I'd like to see a Bluetooth head piece work with these new PalmOS phones. It gets around the problem of PDA input/usage during a phone call.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    I think its too big.. and the lack of a speaker on the unit is a non-starter for me. I think nthe next gen Treos will have the other features..perhaps with OS 5.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    What a pig!
    Got Darts?
    Every time I see a phone-enabled PDA without an internal speaker, I have to wonder what planet the designers came from. Picture it... you've stuffed your PDA/Phone into your pocket. The thing starts ringing. You:

- Haul out your handsfree headset
    - Hastily place it on your ear
    - Fumble for the plug
    - Haul the PDA out of your pocket
    - Plug in the headset
    - Hit the answer button, and get nothing, because the call has gone to voicemail by now.

OK, you could, I suppose, wear the headset all the time, plugged in to the PDA, which you'll be wearing on your belt. Well, YOU could; I won't. No headset I've seen is comfortable enough to wear all the time, the cable gets in the way, and I wouldn't be caught in public looking like a refugee from a telemarketing call center anyhow.

I won't buy a phone from Palm until they figure out the speaker.

Oh, and have they thought about pockets? The article says it has a flip-cover, but isn't specific. The thing looks quite a lot bulkier than a Treo (which I can succesfully fit into a pocket), but assuming I can manage it, what's going to happen when all those exposed buttons get randomly pushed?

--Larry
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>