1.    #1  
    i have owned a 6035 then the i300 and now the treo300. on my prev phones I was able to connect my laptop to the phone with the data/hotsink cable and dial the internet. on the treo however I am unable to get the laptop to recognise the phone as a modem. any sugestions?
    Please use the search feature of this board to locate your answer. This topic has been discussed extensively in the past.
    Ya know, many of us haven't been around long enough to know what has and hasn't been discussed. I recently replied to a question I know was discussed, but instead of telling the person asking the question to do a search, I did the search for him/her and posted the link in the reply.

That would have been a bit nicer in my opinion....

Craig

PS I too am interested in finding out an answer to the wireless modem question. I'll do a search....
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Sgriffith,

Try reading this thread. Perhaps the discussion there will help....

Craig
    Originally posted by csherman
    [B]Ya know, many of us haven't been around long enough to know what has and hasn't been discussed...[B]
    Which is the exact reason to perform a search first before you post a question...

I don't know about you, but I always perform a search first before asking a question or starting a new thread. In fact, I delayed becoming a registered member of the Visorcentral board for over two months because every question I had, like those of most new users, had already been covered by someone else and was readily available by using the search feature. I simply had no need to post a question until I became more familiar with the device and ran into some more advanced problems.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a new user to do a minimum amount of research first before posting, the search feature is obviously not hard to use and its obviously not some sort of hidden feature of this board.

The fact that the original poster is using a Treo 300 and has found this message board is a good inidication to me that he has a decent amount of web savvy behind him and therefore I do not believe my expectation of this new member is unreasonable.

Sorry if you thought my post was not as nice as it could have been but again, I don't think my expectation of this new member, or any new/old member for that matter, was unreasonable.
    I guess I feel that the moderator should and could inforce that. I like to think of this forum as a place to go for inforation without the fear of being berated for asking a guestion that some feel shouldn't be asked. That does nothing but discourage people from participation.
    Just one guys opinion....
    Cheers-
    Craig
    Sorry you thought I was berating the original poster of this thread, that was not my intention. However, this being an internet message board, there really is nothing to "fear," especially if one has done their homework...its all just a bunch of words on a computer screen written by people who you will likely never meet. Try to keep that in mind when reading these message boards and finding a comment you do not necessarily agree with. Also, even after doing some minimal research, if there is still doubt, a phrase such as "after doing a search of this board..." should alleviate any "fear" someone has of posting. No disrespect to you or the orginal poster, but I consider this all pretty much common sense and thus, again, do not feel my expectations are unreasonable, even for a new member.
    I understand what you are saying Marty. While I admit I am and will always be a little overly sensitive (I cry at movies), I do see your point. I believe in being a bit more 'user friendly'.

No hard feelings -- just posting my opinion.

Craig
  9.    #9  
    Marty, I am the origional poster of the thread and while i agree with you that a serch is the best option. I was posting from the mobile version of the site on my treo 300. the mobile site does not have the serch function so i was unable follow your advice. While I appreciate constructive criticism and its uses I would rather receive help in solving my problem. But thanks anyway

Sean
    Originally posted by sgriffith
    While I appreciate constructive criticism and its uses I would rather receive help in solving my problem.
    I know you would but it simply doesn't work that way around here, there are other avenues that you must exhaust first before posting a question. If you do not wish to utilize them, you run the risk of having someone tell you otherwise. Besides, you have a Treo 300, using the regular version of the board, while obviously not as fast as the mobile version, is certainly not outside the 300's capabilities (and if you're worried about data useage from using the regular version of the board, you should then wait until you get home).
    Last edited by Marty1781; 10/01/2002 at 03:57 PM.