1.    #1  
    I'm looking for some sort of mounting bracket to hold my Treo in the car. I tried on three at radio shack; all were about 1/4 of an inch too narrow. Went to Best Buy, nothing there fit at all, and besides they all contained speakerphones (yuck!). I'm picturing something on a gooseneck, though I'd consider other alternatives. I don't mind drilling a few holes if I have to.

I use a headset, so I need to be able to open and close the door while in the bracket. I'm willing to sacrifice getting to the jog switch.

Any ideas?

-lr
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    my answer to this problem was really based on a previous thing I had working. I had a Kyocera 6035, with one of those belt clip/glue on tabs, on tha back. For that phone, I was using a vent clip solution, where the tab glued to the back of the phone slid into the slot of the vent clip. The main downside of that was the tab that was ALWAYS on the phone, making it bulkier, and not really very pocket friendly (mainly, not booty-friendly, depending on the direction the phone was facing while in my back pocket).
    So when I got the Treo, I didn't want to have the tab glued on the phone (I desired to keep the Treo as overall small as possible). Someone I knew at Sprint showed me a thing he had going for his Samsung I300. He was using a magnet combo unit - where a very thin wafer-like piece is glued to back of the phone, and that marries to a magnet you can glue to the dash. Well, for me, the dash part didn't stick to my dash (don't forget that I was using the vent clip with the previous phone). Since the magnet didn't stick, I had to use something. I liked the vent clip mode, since it was fairly non-intrusive to the car. The magnet thing was strong, so I bashed apart the magnet housing, took out the magnet, stuck it into the vent clip, put in a little screw to keep the magnet from falling out, and then voila - the wafer thing on the phone magically sticks to the vent clip. And, it holds very well - no drops, nada. No tab thing on the back of the phone. Lovely.
    And - I just bought the Treo case from CaseWorks, and the clip on that case works great on the vent clip slot, as well.
    So I have essentially two solutions in one (neither one what it was originally intended to do). The vent clip/magnet custom job, and then then the case that works as well on the vent clip.
    Best of both worlds.
    I purchased an Arkon car mount from Mobile Planet that works pretty well. It attaches via a suction cup to the windshield and grips the Treo on the sides. Because the unit is a universal PDA holder the side grips stick out about 1" beyond the face of the Treo, a little more than I would prefer. The grips also obstruct the jog switch, but this hasn't been a problem for me because I answer any incomming phone calls with the button on my headset and use the scroll buttons when it is in the holder. There are several alternative mounting options available. Check it out http://www.mobileplanet.com/product....3WFKN8JG1F7TCF
    Originally posted by Larryr
    I'm looking for some sort of mounting bracket to hold my Treo in the car. I tried on three at radio shack; all were about 1/4 of an inch too narrow. Went to Best Buy, nothing there fit at all, and besides they all contained speakerphones (yuck!).
    Check out proclipusa.com
    Purchased and installed the ProClip angle mount for my Ford Taurus. The ProClip was expensive but it is absolutley perfect. Solid, professional mount with swivel that allows you to angle to minimize glare. Fast, easy installation. I can't imagine anyone being disappoineted with this product.
    I use the casetechworks case WITHOUT the belt clip...

I had to get rid of the cradles I bought because there was no way to put the Treo in the cradle without de-casing it wach time which I thought was a pain, so I went back to the regular sync cable.

With this mount, will it hold the Treo if it has a case around it, or will I have problems

Mike
    MikeRadio

If you are asking about the ProClip mount, I would say you have to remove the Treo from case before it will fit into the car holder. The holder that screws on to the swivel is actually a cradle. It is a perfect fit with the Treo when the Treo has not kind of protective cover on it. I use a Vaja case on my belt so I always pull the Treo out of it to use it anyway.
    A bit pricey but...

Get yourself a mountable stalk of any kind, a universal mounting plate and a treo cradle. Slice the back part of the stand off only leaving the flat front portion of it with the charger pinout.

Epoxy the slimmed down charger face to the backing plate, cut off the pinout side of a car adapter and wire it to the remaining cradle wiring and fit some nice heat shrink over it.

Voila! You now have a working car mount with an active charger!

When all is said and done, this looks very professional and holds the treo nicely.

Pictures of my setup to come soon.

Best,
    Derek.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    I use the casetechworks case WITHOUT the belt clip...

I had to get rid of the cradles I bought because there was no way to put the Treo in the cradle without de-casing it wach time which I thought was a pain, so I went back to the regular sync cable.

With this mount, will it hold the Treo if it has a case around it, or will I have problems

Mike
    If you want a cheap solution to try....go to radio shack and for .99 they have a 1" plastic stick on bar that you can mount the Caseworks beltclip to. Then when you get in the car just slip your treo into the belt clip. If you don't like the way that it swivels then build up the clip so it is tight against the back of the Treo when you snap it in.

It's working for me.
    Originally posted by derek985
    A bit pricey but...

Get yourself a mountable stalk of any kind, a universal mounting plate and a treo cradle. Slice the back part of the stand off only leaving the flat front portion of it with the charger pinout.

Epoxy the slimmed down charger face to the backing plate, cut off the pinout side of a car adapter and wire it to the remaining cradle wiring and fit some nice heat shrink over it.

Voila! You now have a working car mount with an active charger!

When all is said and done, this looks very professional and holds the treo nicely.

Pictures of my setup to come soon.

Best,
    Derek.
    Did you ever finish this project? Let me know, I've been thinking about it.

Roger