1.    #1  
    I've just bought a Treo 180g without connection to use with my existing T-mobile service. Everything is fine apart from the SMS.

If an SMS is sent to the phone it rings but no message appears in the SMS inbox. Having read other posts on here I've tried switching the Treo off and on but there is still no mention of any new SMS. Only when transferring the SIM card back to my old phone (a motorola Timeport) does the message show up.

I also can't send SMSs, every time I try I get the error 'The operation is not allowed (Code=11)'. I've triple checked the sms message centre number and email centre number. Again sending SMSs works fine from my old phone.

I rang Handspring this afternoon and support had no suggestions other than trying the on/off thing, but suggested that the GPRS update *might* fix the problem. Apparently the European version of the update is due to be release this coming Monday (30 Sep). One slight problem with this is that T-mobile in the UK are still setting up their GPRS service and haven't made it public yet.

So does anyone know:

Can I install the update without a GPRS service from my provider?

Any other possible fixes for this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
  2.    #2  
    Got the GPRS update and installed it, but it did not fix the SMS problem and now the phone will only ring on an incoming call if it is in the fully on state rather than standby!

The user at the other end meanwhile hears a ringing tone and thinks I am not answering.

Useless, I've got to go back to my old Motorola.
  3.    #3  
    Most of my previous post is a red herring, I'd not done the GPRS update properly

[the updater didn't start automatically after the first hotsync/reset because I'd left some security software enabled - but I saw something called Updater and clicked on that... ANYBODY ELSE - DON'T DO THAT]

However SMSs still do not work. My latest theory is that it might be that the SIM card is too old (over 4 years) even though SMSs do work on my old phone.
  4.    #4  
    Just to close off this thread and offer the solution if anyone else runs into the same problem:

A new SIM card sorted everything out (my original SIM was quite old - over 4 years - and apparently incompatible in some way).

The new SIM also fixed a subtler problem that I didn't become aware of straight away - I wasn't getting notified when a voicemail message was left...

Happy again,
    glad to see somebody else from the UK here - everyone else seems to be US / canada etc. Sorry didn't reply earlier about yer sim card prob - same thing happened to me.
    Do you understand all this GPRS stuff ?? What's it all about...
  6.    #6  
    Hello fellow UK Treo user,

I suppose one reason that their are not that many people from the UK on here is that the Treo's are compartively more expensive in our country. It seems like 1 dollar = 1 pound as far as Handspring are concerned!

GPRS has the advantages that it should be a lot faster than a dialup data call and will be 'always on' billing you on the amount of data transferred. But can't play with GPRS yet as T-Mobile are the only UK mobile provider who haven't yet got around to getting it out of beta test (they will early next year I'm told). I suppose I could switch to another provider but at the moment can't be bothered to move my number. I do like the idea though (using GPRS) of having emails come straight through to the Treo. For the time being I've set up a system whereby I get periodic SMS alerts if there is important email waiting for me to collect.
    thanks
    I'm going to start a new thread for UK users as we have our own issues eg - different ISP's / service providers. Do you use a mac or pc as I've got some questions about Palm desktop on the mac etc.