1.    #1  
    Hi!

I just bought a Treo 90 with a bluetooth card to connect to my phone. It works great, but I have one problem that keeps it from being the full solution I want.

I have unlimited weekends with my phone plan, so I can pretty much stay online all weekend. I intended to use this so that I could stay logged into AIM for long periods of time, and have the treo alert me to new IM's.

My first step was to get AutoOff, a simple program that disables the auto-off feature of the device. Works great.

But now I want the screen to turn off (I would settle for the backlight turning off) so that I can get excellent battery life.

I already tried the power button double-tap and that doesnt bring the backlight all the way off.

So, if anyone knows how to turn the screen or at least the backlight off easily, I'm sticking with the treo.

I think this is the best solution for me, because I get to keep my T68 phone in my pocket without any bulk, and only need to bring the treo with me when I want data. I've tried AIM via text-messaging, but the SMS interface combined with T9 text input just makes it too slow.

If I can't make it work I'll probably return it and wait for the T-mobile sidekick, which is not nearly as small as my T68 but more integrated.

Thanks in advance
    -Rich
    Originally posted by rlabarca
    Hi!

I just bought a Treo 90 with a bluetooth card to connect to my phone. It works great, but I have one problem that keeps it from being the full solution I want.

I have unlimited weekends with my phone plan, so I can pretty much stay online all weekend. I intended to use this so that I could stay logged into AIM for long periods of time, and have the treo alert me to new IM's.

My first step was to get AutoOff, a simple program that disables the auto-off feature of the device. Works great.

But now I want the screen to turn off (I would settle for the backlight turning off) so that I can get excellent battery life.

I already tried the power button double-tap and that doesnt bring the backlight all the way off.

So, if anyone knows how to turn the screen or at least the backlight off easily, I'm sticking with the treo.

I think this is the best solution for me, because I get to keep my T68 phone in my pocket without any bulk, and only need to bring the treo with me when I want data. I've tried AIM via text-messaging, but the SMS interface combined with T9 text input just makes it too slow.

If I can't make it work I'll probably return it and wait for the T-mobile sidekick, which is not nearly as small as my T68 but more integrated.

Thanks in advance
    -Rich
    It's not possible to turn the screen of the Treo off completely. Or, to be more specific, it was designed so that the user could NOT turn the unit's backlight off, although I'm sure it's possible if you tear the thing apart a bit.

The reason is that the Treo employs a transflective screen, with a backlight. Unlike true reflective screens, which actually use light bounced, or reflected, off of the outside surface of the screen, transflective screens require a source of light *behind* the screen to be visible. Or, it would require the handheld to have a much thicker transflector on the outside, so that it could capture enough outside light to be visible. The Treo has no such transflector.

I can assure you, if you find some way to turn the backlight off, you won't be seeing a darned thing on the screen. Ask any of the users that have had their backlight's fail, and they can tell you. Unfortunately, this just isn't the right handheld for that sorta thing!