1.    #1  
    Well ..

now that ia have a treo and have lost my graffiti area ... keyborading ain't cool!

For anyone used to Graffiti, thumbing is slow and inaccurate.

JOT to the rescue. With this SW from CIC, the full screen becomes a graffiti area AND the character recognizer is a lot better than graffiti itself. Most letters can be entered as graffit or easier to remember forms .. only two stand out as hard to learn t and q. So do notT Quit!

Seriously, this greatly accelerate the usability of the machine!
    If you're going to plug software so obviously, at least have someone proofread your post.

Jot to the rescue, indeed.
  3.    #3  
    THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN CAREFULLY SPELLCHECKED TO PROTECT SENSITIVE EYES!

I am more than willing to apologize for my poor typing. HOWEVER, the insinuation that I am plugging something is insulting. I rather irritated by an assertion that I am hyping their product rather than offering a, hopefully, useful comment for other users of these phones.

However, since you are so uninterested in JOT, I suggest you simply ignore the rest of this message ........

I am a long term user of Graffiti ..extending back to the abortive effort by HP to create a triple folding handheld! The charm of graffiti is that a handwritten interface is ALMOST possible.

Jot, in my experience is simply a better graffiti. If the Treo still had a graffiti area I probably would never have tried Jot. Now that I have, I highly recommend it. Jot is at least twice as easy to use as Graffiti and the full screen entry area is really useful. I can jot notes real time, something I never could do with graffiti.
    Maybe you should have checked the grammar, too...

It still smacks of a commercial...
    Cruel...
    hmm - well I was a long time Jot user, but really, once I got used to the keyboard, it really seemed to me that it was faster. And, I don't have to ever (altho I DO have Jot installed on the Treo and can use it if needed) scratch out words on the screen. I do like that a great deal. yes, I know about screen protectors and all. ANYway - I happen to prefer the keyboard. everyone has different preferences.
    Well I'm thumbboarding this reply quite happily on my Treo180. I've written mag articles in grafitti as well as about 150k of travelog text.

The only thing I've found faster than this thumbboard (full keyboards not included) is fitaly which is only a smidgen faster but infinitely less convenient.

-W
    >I am a long term user of Graffiti ...The charm of graffiti is that a
    >handwritten interface is ALMOST possible.

Okay, don't get me started on how great it was to write in sloppy natural handwriting on the Newton 2100 and have it recognize everything. But I never had such luck with Graffiti and so I welcome the keyboard. I can actually type pretty fast with correct spelling and fair grammar.

A Palmer
  9.    #9  
    Each to his own. I suspect I am a lot more skilled in Garffiti than you are .. so...

OTOH, Jot is a lot easier to learn than Graffiti and I can write a lot faster than I can thumb type.

Of course for those who are graffiti-challenged, uisng one's thumbs may be a good alternative. I suspect that you folks qualify for the Americans with Disability Act.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Of course for those who are graffiti-challenged, uisng one's thumbs may be a good alternative. I suspect that you folks qualify for the Americans with Disability Act.
    Hmmmm, I see no reason to insult everyone who is using the thumboard just because you are in a posting war with a few people.

Also couching the insult in the ADA is extremely callous to folks who are in wheelchairs, blind, or otherwise do not have full use of their bodies.

Really quite shameful.
    >Also couching the insult in the ADA is extremely callous to folks who
    >are in wheelchairs, blind, or otherwise do not have full use of their bodies.

I'm pretty sure it was just an innocent joke. There's been a bit of keyboard- and graffiti-bashing going back and forth. I know, I know. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...
  12.    #12  
    This thread must be Steve Martin routine ... though I am not sure who the audience is.

Just so noone lacking a sense of humor has to reply ...

Take your pick, I hope my intent is clear!
    Stevesm... If I typed like you, I would look for an alternative to a keyboard also...
  14.    #14  
    Here is a story of one man's victory over disability, a story of generosity and kindness that exemplifies the Graffiti Way of Life.

Until I was in the 3rd grade, "they" thought I was retarded .. I could not read, I could not write! Then, a now legendary teacher, ..Ms. Daugherty, somehow got me to read. Since I am now a professor with two doctorates and a number of awards, I guess she did a good thing.

However, I have always been spelling-challenged and my handwriting and typing are atrocious.

Then one day I discovered I wrote verso (inverse) better than forwards. Finally, the technodeities invented graffiti ... a sometime balky way of writing that forced me to be clear if not unto myself then unto my PDA. Now I find the Zen of Graffiti calming since the little bit of extra focus required makes me write a tad better.

So perhaps I do qualify for ADA support! Can they subsidize my purchase of the new Sony Cleo-Treo?