Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having using certain PQA apps. I have installed all the necessary files to run the PQA apps and followed the directions at the golddave site, and most of the PQA's work fine. I can see news stories in USA today, browse items in amazon.com or buy.com, and check on movie times in Moviefone, so I know things are set up correctly to some degree.

The problem comes into play when I try to access a secure page on services such as Amazon.com or Bank of America. Any time I try to sign on with a username and password using any PQA app, I get either an 'Internal server error (500)' or 'SSL failed to negotiate a secure connection (C1020015)' message. Does this happen for anyone else or am I doing something wrong? I have the Securitylibrary file from the golddave site installed, and that seems like it's the one needed to make SSL connections from PQA apps. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    I guess from the lack of responses that this is not a common problem and that I should be able to get this to work. If anyone could just let me know if they have gotten any of the secure sites to work in PQA's, I'd really appreciate it. If this happening for everyone, I won't waste my time trying to fix something that isn't really broken. Thanks in advance.
    I've had the same problem as well with Bank of America but don't know how to solve it. All the pqa's I use work well other than this one...
    My guess is that the security libraries doesn't meet the 128 bit encrpytion that is required for BofA?? I don't know?
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info. I agree that the likely explanation is that the 128 bit encryption is too much for the PQA apps. Perhaps the work in Palm OS 4 but not with the hacked together OS 3.5 setup that we Treo 300 users have. Hopefully a future upgrade from Sprint will add real support for PQA's, but I'm not holding my breath.
    dang this sucks

i just got my treo 300 a couple weeks ago

spent good money for it and am finding out it is old technology

this is really starting to tick me off

im haveing the same problem

anyone have a newer security'e library that supports 128bit encryption

maybe it is the proxy we are using is causing the error

what proxy is everyone using

I have been posting the same problem on this board with no response. I have been unable to access my secure sites broker, bank, and retirement account with treo300. It accesses the main page and one account actually lets me log in . But no account data or transactions displayed or allowed. I have been told blazer wont work on intranets or firewalls. I have been searching for alternatives with no luck! Seems ridiculous to not have access to these types of sites/accounts.

Tim,
    Originally posted by tcronk
    I have been posting the same problem on this board with no response. I have been unable to access my secure sites broker, bank, and retirement account with treo300. It accesses the main page and one account actually lets me log in . But no account data or transactions displayed or allowed. I have been told blazer wont work on intranets or firewalls. I have been searching for alternatives with no luck! Seems ridiculous to not have access to these types of sites/accounts.

Tim,
    i didnt quite understand

are you using pqa's or blazer to connect to your secure sites

or a mix of both

can you give me a list of pqa you are using that wont work

have you tried xiino browser
    I have used a combination of both . www.mytrack.com is my broker I downloaded there pqa and it doesnt work. Niether does the blazer. I can access the main page with after signing in but no accesss to account data. www.tsp.gov is my retirement account. Dont know if they have a pqa but the blazer does not work. And the same thing with my bank www.faaerfcu.org main page access but no further... No I havent tried the Xiino browser. I get alot of messages after a failed webpage download saying blazer 1.1 I thought the treo300 came with the blazer 2.0..... Lost??

Tim,
    A lot of secure PQAs use the deviceid variable, which is going to be all 000000 on our devices since they aren't going through palm.net proper. So even if the SSL issues are resolved, they probably won't work anyhow.

I think at one time omnisky had a way around it, but I can't say for sure. The deviceid has been an issue from the beginning of doing this clipper lib copying thing.

Perhaps even Palm does something to allow non-zero deviceid with their mobile internet kit. Not sure.
    tcronk

blazer that comes with treo isnt 2.0 you have to get an update from sprints website

blazer doesnt support javascript so it causes alot of problem

try xiino it supports most javascript

it doesnt work for my bank though because the detect that im not running netscape or internet explorer and stop me from loging in
    Originally posted by potatoho
    A lot of secure PQAs use the deviceid variable, which is going to be all 000000 on our devices since they aren't going through palm.net proper. So even if the SSL issues are resolved, they probably won't work anyhow.

I think at one time omnisky had a way around it, but I can't say for sure. The deviceid has been an issue from the beginning of doing this clipper lib copying thing.

Perhaps even Palm does something to allow non-zero deviceid with their mobile internet kit. Not sure.
    hmm how do you change your device id?

and do you have any sources of this info? i cant seem to find any
    im soory this is all new too me cuz i just got my treo this week.

and havent had much experiece with palm other than the usally desktop connection sync issues people complain about.
    Originally posted by backwerd
    hmm how do you change your device id?

and do you have any sources of this info? i cant seem to find any
    im soory this is all new too me cuz i just got my treo this week.

and havent had much experiece with palm other than the usally desktop connection sync issues people complain about.
    So far I don't think anyone's come up with a hack. The reason it's zeroes is because the clipper library is meant for devices which support giving back a deviceid. Whether that is an extra API function or a specific location in flash or something, I don't know. Perhaps it gets stuffed into the stream by the palm.net servers, as opposed to the developer servers were using when we stick the clipper library on a regular device.
    I think Potatoho is on the right track here - I have heard that it is possible to hack an SSL session that is running thru a PQA on a Palm OS device if the device does not have a device ID. The secure banking or trading site uses the device ID to generate the enctyption key and if it finds a generic one it choses not to talk to you. It is a bit of a gotcha but at the same time no one ever said that PQAs were meant to work on the 300.
    so please let me know if you know how?
    to set the device ID so that it isnt generic
    I dont think you can spoof the ID on a Treo. This would defeat the purpose of the security. I remember seeing the Omnisky software once and I believe they had a method for entering it as a preference on the device along with a zip code to work around this issue.
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    I dont think you can spoof the ID on a Treo. This would defeat the purpose of the security. I remember seeing the Omnisky software once and I believe they had a method for entering it as a preference on the device along with a zip code to work around this issue.

ok so you can do it on omnisky but you cant on treo

ughhhhhhhh

I dont think the treo even has a device id
    y would it need it since it was made with pqa in mind
    i dont know y it wasnt though pqa are a great feature

so i just need to figure a way out on how to make a device id
    From what I've read, the original clipper library, which ran on the Palm VII, used the Mobitex MAN # as the deviceid. The original Omnisky did not have the deviceid, though they may have worked some kind of deal to get it going.

Then Palm made a Mobile Internet Kit (Part # P50404U) which added web clipping to several of their devices; IIIx, V, M105 I think, and maybe some others. That DID have a deviceid, which was made from the flash serial number.

Handspring has never made devices with flash, with the exception of some? of our Treos, which apparently have flash even though they say they don't. Heck I dunno, maybe all Treos have flash. I also don't know if they have the flash serial number, or if it is in the same place as on the Palm devices. i.e. would the Mobile Internet Kit be able to find the flash serial number on a Treo? Would it crash & burn? Likely..

Would be interesting to try. If anyone can get ahold of P50404U and check it out in the simulator. BTW, definitely do that before *ever* trying it on a real device. Also as a side note I have tried the OS 4.x clipper libraries and they won't work on the Treo. Besides checking for a version number, if you hack that, it will then silently not work, and ultimately complain about some missing API which is in OS 4.x and not 3.5.
    Wow this discussion is getting good. You guys are WAY above my head. So let me get this straight we would be able to access secure sites with the treo if the sites thought we were using netscape/explorer browsers or a palm.net service? Alot of the brokers that I researched including mine say they are compatible with any palm.net device. If this is right then one of 2 things need to happen. First and I think this is what you guys are after . Make these sites think the treo/blazer is a compatible device. Second wait for these secure sites to start accepting the treo/blazer. Are they waiting to see if treo/blazer is going to be acceptable technology or is there something wrong with treo/blazer and they wont support it. I am amazed that this hasnt happened yet. Thanks for the info on the blazer browser I will go download 2.0.

Sorry I dont have much to add to the solving of this problem but I am very much interested in the solution.

Thanks Tim Cronk
    backwerd,

reference your comment about blazer not supporting javascript. I have downloaded, installed, and have used a java program called midcast from www.hillcast.com. It is streaming realtime stock data. Is this not the same thing?

Thanks Tim,
    Originally posted by tcronk
    So let me get this straight we would be able to access secure sites with the treo if the sites thought we were using netscape/explorer browsers or a palm.net service?
    I was just talking about PQAs, which are really just a hack for non-Palm VII, 705 devices. I wasn't aware there were issues with SSL elsewhere. I suppose it just depends on the browser, as they each roll their own stuff. Eudoraweb seems to just return a blank page on etrade.com.

My etrade seems to work fine in Blazer, though it gives me the mobile site instead of the full blown one. Which is probably for the best, as their redesign is so awfully complex that I can't find shiat without using an array of bookmarks I set up. Seriously, whoever redesigned the etrade site last year should have their salary converted to shares of enron.

What you might try, is to see if your broker has a smaller site designed for mobile devices. Some of them don't autodetect, and you have to specify. For example, harrisdirect (formerly dljdirect) has http://wireless.harrisdirect.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast