1.    #1  
    Can anyone tell me what the difference b/w GPRS and VPS is. I am unable to connect using the T-mobile internet. It always says connection error. It will connect using VPN. But I am unable to get blazer working using the proxy server. I called VS and the person said they will not support Treo using GPRS because Handspring has not officially released the patch for the US.

Any help on this matter wold be helpfull...
    Make sure you have T-Mobile Internet service, the not the VPN service on your account. It is possible that they added the wrong service. Not sure what the VPN service actually lets you do though.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    VPN (Virtual Private Network) service gives you a fixed IP address, as opposed to a dynamically assigned one (which can change from connection to connection). This is necessary if you connect to corporate VPNs, which require a fixed IP address to access.
  4.    #4  
    Yes I do have the 5Mb plan. Based on the reply of one user VPN is the same exact thing as the T-Mobile internet yet using a fixed IP address. If that is correct then I should be connected?
    Originally posted by rfg17
    VPN (Virtual Private Network) service gives you a fixed IP address, as opposed to a dynamically assigned one (which can change from connection to connection). This is necessary if you connect to corporate VPNs, which require a fixed IP address to access.
    Not quite. T-Mobile VPN gives you a real, yet dynamic, IP number. T-Mobile Internet gives you a dynamic IP number from a local network behind a firewall, i.e., something like 192.168.1.x. None of the two services give you a static IP number.

I think your proxy problems have nothing to do with which of T-Mobile's services your using; I have used both and they both worked with proxies, sometimes. There are issues with proxies that are independent of this choice of service.

Some of the issues:

- proxy.pocketdev.org is up and down all the time and has become unpredictable.

- Trying my own home proxy works with Xiino but not with Blazer. Blazer sends all requests through proxy.handspring.com (even if you're using a proxy) and some proxy servers (squid in my case) doesn't seem to handle this properly.

- I can occasionally use Blazer without a proxy if I use Eudora Web to go to getmorespeed.t-mobile.com first and load that page. After loading this page in Eudora Web, Blazer works... for a while.

I'm quite tired of this whole game and can't wait to get a real, reliable GPRS solution for the Treo on T-Mobile's network.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/24/2002 at 09:28 PM.
    i have been connecting with no problems at all using t-mobile vpn.i have been using blazer as well as xiino and connect all the time do have a problem loading images on blazer.

fred
  7.    #7  
    I cant get past the "registering". Do you use a proxy server?