Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Be careful installing XP Pro Service Pack 1. I found that since installing, I could no longer complete a sync. I tried just about everything, including complete PC software reinstalls, cleaning the registry, and treo hard resets, still to no avail. Finally, I used System Restore to restore XP to the point just prior to Service Pack 1 installation. Everything works great again. I'm not saying conclusively that it's XP SP1, but something hosed me big time and everything was a-ok before I installed XP SP1. I have a 300 and as far as extras are concerned, am using PCS biz conn, treobutton, avantgo, MyBible, and the BackupBuddy trial. Bottom line, "upgrade" to XP SP1 only if you need to, IMHO.
    mhorts
    I've recently reinstalled Windows XP and the first thing I did was install SP1. After that I started installing all of my programs including hotsync and I've had no problems.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    No problems with SP1 here, either.
    Given the issues that SP1 fixes it might be better to do what you must to have SP1, even if it means starting from scratch . Good Luck.
    i installed the service pak & restarted my computer to find out that windows would not load at all. my computer was completely down. i had to start in safe mode & uninstall the service pak. phew!!! i thought i'd have to do a recovery back to factory settings for the umpteenth time! be careful...
    Also syncing fine with XP Home + SP1.

The only problem I've encountered is that I get a big blue memory dump screen when syncing when multiple users are logged in (i.e. wife logged in, I come along, switch users to log in and sync).

Haven't done much with trying to figure out the problem yet, but I suspect issues with two hotsync managers running simultaneously (we're a 2 Visor household). Don't think it's related to SP1 because I was experiencing this problem before installing SP1.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    I'm having trouble too. Everytime I push the hotsync button, after installing SP1 (Actually, I reinstalled windows a few days ago,and just put sp1 on there, as well as reinstalled the Treo Software)

Anyway, anytime I do a HotSync, XP pops up a little balloon saying found new hardware, and asks for the cd for drivers. Grrrr!
    Are y'all using XP Home or Pro. I'm using Pro and haven't had any problems.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Originally posted by ShockSLL
    Are y'all using XP Home or Pro. I'm using Pro and haven't had any problems.
    I'm using XP Home here.

When I go to install the Treo software, and the "Desktop Setup" window comes up, asking me to push the sync button i do that.

Then the new hardware wizard comes up, asking me where the files for the device are. I ask it to search for them (I've got the Treo CD in one drive, and my xp cd in the other, so I'm assuming the software should be in one of the 2 places) So it sits there for a bit searching....searching.....searching....

Finally pops up and says "Cannot Install This Hardware"
    Handspring USB
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The system cannot find the file specified.

This is getting old pretty quick!
    Any resolution GregP ? I'm having the EXACT same problem. Spent a whole Sunday on it so far...

thanks
    Sadly, no resolution. I ended up reinstalling XP a few days ago.

It seems to work ok if you install the Palm software before you install the Service Pack.

I've decided to remain service pack-less for now though. I have had some problems with other software not behaving with it. (Norton Antivirus 2003 was not updating right)
    Thanks for the reply. Oddly enough, I've just upgraded from 98SE to XP ...no Service Pack. I've read through quite a bit of support information on the HS website, deleted INF files and all that, but I keep getting the same error ... over, and over, and over again. Thanks anyhow.
  13.    #13  
    I still have had no luck getting XP with SP1 to sync with my treo 300 over USB. I can, however, sync using IR with no problem.

I am using an IBM ThinkPad T21+XP Pro with SP1. When I did a system restore back to before installing SP1 (i have done this twice) hotsync over USB works fine.

When I encounter the XP install quirk listed in some other posts above, I just do exactly as it says and it does find my driver, PALMUSB.drv in the WINNT/Sytem32/Drivers directory and installs using that. I am using the Palm 4.0.1 version.

I have decided that being on SP1 is more important that USB Hotsync, for now. I would sure like to get this working. If anyone has any clues, I'm all ears.

Here's the error I receive in the sync log:

HotSync operation started 10/08/02 11:52:46
    HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410)
    HotSync operation complete 10/08/02 11:52:59

-syncless in Seattle
    Last edited by mhorts; 10/08/2002 at 04:26 PM.
    mhorts
  14.    #14  
    I found this in the Handspring knowledge base:

Why does the Windows New Hardware Wizard ask for a USB driver when I try to synchronize?
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=5333

Then this:

Why is a hardware wizard is looking for a Palmusbd.sys file?
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...785&ResType=il

When I followed these to the letter, and it still did not fix the issue, I contacted Handspring support. Turns out I had a corrupted key in the registry under local machine, USB. Cause unknown, but it's fixed. Hope this helps someone else. By the way, you spelled bachelor wrong.
    mhorts
    Originally posted by mhorts

Why does the Windows New Hardware Wizard ask for a USB driver when I try to synchronize?

Then this:

When I followed these to the letter, and it still did not fix the issue, I contacted Handspring support. Turns out I had a corrupted key in the registry under local machine, USB. Cause unknown, but it's fixed. Hope this helps someone else. By the way, you spelled bachelor wrong.
    mhort,

Great news. Would you mind spelling out some step-by-step instructions ? I would love to have this problem behind me!

thanks...
  16.    #16  
    treodude, proceed at your own risk - you know how funky messing with the registry can be -- so be careful.

This sync problem happened to me AFTER installing SP1 on my laptop running XP Professional.

there is a key in the XP Pro registry that is under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    ControlSet001
    Control
    Enum
    USB

There will be a few (depending on how many USB devices you have ever had) keys that start with "Vid_" and have numbers and letters after them. If you have one with four zeros (0000) in the last four spaces, it is a corrupted key. It is the culprit that is keeping you from recognizing the cradle/cable for your handspring device properly.

Right click it, choose permissions and check "all"
    Then delete it, and its underlings.

Close the registry.
    Uninstall the pocketmirror sw using the control panel
    - leave any shared files, they are OK
    uninstall palm desktop using the control panel
    reboot

reinstall palm desktop
    sync as directed in setup.

If this is unclear or scary, call Handspring support, they will walk you through it, even if you have a treo 300. good luck!
    mhorts
    treodude, proceed at your own risk - you know how funky messing with the registry can be -- so be careful.

This sync problem happened to me AFTER installing SP1 on my laptop running XP Professional.

there is a key in the XP Pro registry that is under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    ControlSet001
    Control
    Enum
    USB

There will be a few (depending on how many USB devices you have ever had) keys that start with "Vid_" and have numbers and letters after them. If you have one with four zeros (0000) in the last four spaces, it is a corrupted key. It is the culprit that is keeping you from recognizing the cradle/cable for your handspring device properly.

Right click it, choose permissions and check "all"
    Then delete it, and its underlings.

Close the registry.
    Uninstall the pocketmirror sw using the control panel
    - leave any shared files, they are OK
    uninstall palm desktop using the control panel
    reboot

reinstall palm desktop
    sync as directed in setup.

If this is unclear or scary, call Handspring support, they will walk you through it, even if you have a treo 300. good luck!
    mhorts,

Thanks a ton. I just found out today that my registry is corrupted for other reasons, so I'm off to buy a drive to backup my data, so I can be ready for a clean install of XP. If I still have the problem after that I may have to give your solution a shot (hopefully it will be my solution as well).

thanks again...
    I have had my treo since november 16th and I have never been able to overcome a 6410 hotsync error over USB on a IBM T22 laptop with XP Pro SP 1 installed. Meanwhile, I duplicated the environment on my girl friend's Toshiba's Sat Pro with XP Pro SP 1 and it syncs fine whether using Hanspring's latest palm desktop download (4.01) or Palm's 4.1. I looked at the registry and there seems to be NO corruption. It syncs fine over IR over 90% of the time. Does anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks

Justin

Then this:

19.    #19  
    Justin, look for a key in the registry under USB that has a 0 in it (zero.) That's a corrupted key and that was the problem on my thinkpad T21. Handspring support walked me thru where to find it and how to fix it. A 6410 they said is a dead giveaway of a corrupted key. It's been a few months, but I tried to find those keys and I couldn't for you. Again, give Handspring a call, tell them 6410, tell them registry problem, tell them corrupted USB key. Also follow their install/uninstall procedures to the letter. Good luck. Doug
    mhorts
    Doug,

I am on hold with Handspring right now. I have never had a problem with it recognizing the device on a fresh install. The articles at the links you provided dealt with that issue. Are you saying to use those to reinstall the software after I delete the corrupted key?

Isn't the USB Registry Utility to clean the registry? Are you saying that corrupted keys remain even after running that utility?

Hopefully Handspring can help.. Sorry to call on you so much but this is the most frustrating computer problem I have dealt with in years.

Thanks

JUstin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast