1.    #1  
    It's WAaaaayyyy Cool! I'm a prior VisorPhone customer who was on the Cingular network. I dumped it for Sprint Treo300.

(read the story, important info for all TREOSMS users in it)

As I patiently awaited for TreoSMS to be released, I used my ISP, setup a mobile POP account, and simply used EUDORA for sending quick messages. it was cool, cause I can just lookup anybody's email address, and send it, what I didn't like about it is if someone had a mobile phone I wasnt too sure who they had service with, so I was limited to sending only to email addresses that I knew......which leads me to post the BEST thing I discovered about TREOSMS.....

I downloaded it yesteray (sunday), hotsync'd and immediately went to dinner in beverly hills with my girl on the corner of La Cienega & 3rg at a restaurant in the Beverly Center.

Ofcoure I got looks, but I wanted to try out this new TREOSMS thing. SO i went through the setup proces, it told me it found my account and all that. I checked off the box, it did a soft reset on its own, and away I went.

THE BEST THING: I can SMS other carriers withOUT knowing their email extensions!!!!!!!

1st: I ordered my food and then sent an SMS to a friend of mine who STILL uses a VisorPhone on the Cingualr Wireless service. His number is 213-590-XXXX. I used the "Address By Last Name Lookup". Both his email AND his mobile number popped up in the list. initially i started to send it to his email address which is--> 213590XXXX@mobile.mycingular.com (or something like that) but then i thought to myself...."Self, let's try it with JUST his phone number ONLY!" i know he is not with sprint, but f*ck it, lets give it a shot anyway.....

Hey tony wassup.....call me on my cell phone...it's important <send>

can you beleive ...... he called me back in 30 seconds saying "Wassup, I got your SMS, you wanted me to call????" we talked.

I thought to myself.....WAIT A MINUTE...I didnt put his full cell phone email address in there!!! I only put his phone number.

<scratch>

2nd: ok, well lemme send an SMS to my buddy who is on the VERIZON network. His phones email address is 323823XXXX@vtext.com. but I decided NOT to put his full vtext email address in there, I only put his phone number of '323823XXXX" and hit SEND!!!!!

low and behold.....he replied and sent me a mesage RIGHT BACK!!! WOW!!!!! So you mean to tell me, that I can send SMS messages to just MOBILE NUMBERS without worrying about there email extensions????

answer = Yes people...it works (at least here in Los Angeles)

AND....they can reply back to you also! (well, verizon can atleast) In the verizon phone (i asked him) he says it only shows my phone number, but he still hit REPLY and it came right back to my Treo 300.

3rd: i sent an SMS to my buddy's HOTMAIL account, then called him and told him to check his email and tell me what does it say in the FROM box. he said that it says "310936XXXX@mesaging.sprintpcs.com" just like it's supposed to.

Conclusion: If your having problems with your TREOSMS, then sorry...but for me, it's AWESOME and i love it.

I only wish that it would SAVE the messages I sent, and allow me to view/delete/resend them.

ALSO THERE IS A BUG: When you choose "Address By Mobile Number" and then you type a 10 digit number in there '310-555-1212' all seems fine right?....WRONG. if the number your typing in happens to have the number "1" in it, it automatically DELETES that number!! If you have MORE then one number "1" in the full 10 digit number, then it only gets rid of one instance of the number "1", example:

you type: 323-555-1212 <--- Will automatically turn into
    becomes: 323555212

you type: 323-765-4321 <--- Will automatically turn into
    becomes: 323765432

so please, PDAAPPS, please fixe this bug, and please have outgoing messages saved in your next release. until then, if you need to send to a mobile number that has a "1" in it, you must grab it from your "phone number lookup" instead.

But for those of you who wish to know...you do NOT need to know the email address to your friends mobile phones. Just put the number in there, and send away!

- Shannon
    I've been a long-time 2-way SMSer (initially with AT&T Wireless and later with Verizon), and no matter what I try, folks to whom I send SMS now via this new app on the Treo can't reply to just my phone number. I will say that I've only tested with folks who're on ATTWS and VZW, but their replies to JUST my cell phone never make it to me. I know the issue is with Sprint, but still....it irks me that SPCS can't get a real SMS platform going.
    Then again, in the big scheme of life - is it that big a deal?
    What is this SMS app? We could use this to tell people so they've got more options.
    Here you go -->

Treo300SMS which allows mobile originated SMS (MO-SMS) and email via SMS is now available at their website:

http://treo.pdaapps.com/

Works great within SPrint PCS but I have not yet tested with others outside of that network.
    email via SMS? I don't see that as an option.
    Caught up in the enthusiasm of the originator of this thread, I downloaded the Treo300SMS software, followed the instructions, and I was sending out SMS messages in about 10 minutes! It is very cool to send messages out via phone numbers.

An update to the reported bug with 1's. I find that I initially specify "Address by Mobile Number", enter the number, then enter the text. Somewhere in there, any 1's (or maybe the first 1) is dropped and the software tries to send the message to "Address by Email address". I have to re-specify "Address by Mobile Number" and re-enter the phone number. This second time, the 1's are not dropped and the message is successfully sent.

Also, in future updates, it would be great if we could initiate the SMS process via the Contacts software and not have to type in the phone numbers every time.

I hope the folks who developed this software are reading this thread....
    Originally posted by pseudomass
    Caught up in the enthusiasm of the originator of this thread, I downloaded the Treo300SMS software, followed the instructions, and I was sending out SMS messages in about 10 minutes! It is very cool to send messages out via phone numbers.

An update to the reported bug with 1's. I find that I initially specify "Address by Mobile Number", enter the number, then enter the text. Somewhere in there, any 1's (or maybe the first 1) is dropped and the software tries to send the message to "Address by Email address". I have to re-specify "Address by Mobile Number" and re-enter the phone number. This second time, the 1's are not dropped and the message is successfully sent.

The "1" bug is fixed in v0.2 of Treo300SMS now available from http://treo.pdaapps.com

PDAapps
    I downloaded Treo300SMS about 1 hour prior to this current posting. I got version 0.1 and it still had the bug. Has 0.2 been uploaded since then?
    So they DID upload a new version of Treo300SMS. It is version 0.2. I just installed it and it fixes the '1' bug plus adds some features....like remembering your recent mobile numbers or email addresses you have messaged. I performed several tests using mobile numbers and email addresses and it all worked just fine. Thanks to all!
    this app works great within minutes of downloading I was 2-waying like a big tymer. I live in NY and i was using SMS to my boy with ATT and email-ing my friends who responded within seconds. So the only question is how much will this cost after the trial.
    Can someone explain what the "email" feature is? I don't get it.
    Originally posted by mblank
    Can someone explain what the "email" feature is? I don't get it.
    After the program is installed and authenticated. The email feature of the SMS allows you to send a brief email to someone's address. When they reply they are replying to yourphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com which you will receive on your treo.
    I was thinking of downloading the trial, but after digging several pages deep on the web site still couldn't find the cost. What gives? You only see that on ripoffs and Lamborgini adds. Anyone paid for it yet?
    Originally posted by 911_Dude
    I was thinking of downloading the trial, but after digging several pages deep on the web site still couldn't find the cost. What gives? You only see that on ripoffs and Lamborgini adds. Anyone paid for it yet?
    If you click on the "Buy Now" button on the left-bar of their main Treo300SMS page, you will see the price. It is $19.95.

Spiderman
    Hmmm, after reading all the caveats that PDAAPPS has for this tool, it doesn't seem as nice. I personally don't relish having to depend on PDAAPPS proxy servers to relay outgoing SMS messages. They themselves say that it may not be there in the future and Sprint could even break the functionality.

Aren't Handspring and Sprint working on native SMS support as announced by their CEO a few weeks ago? Wouldn't this be the way to go? I presume this would involve a reload of the Treo 300 firmware (and perhaps fix a few other bugs along the way)?