1.    #1  
    I was wondering how the coverage is like in Hawaii, for you Sprint PCS users, especially on the island of Oahu.

Thanks,

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    I'm interested if there is Sprint coverage on the western shore of Maui... Kaanapali specifically.

Thanks.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Coverage on Oahu not bad. Lose signal strength in strange places (like in the bathroom outside Royal Garden in the Ala Moana Hotel) but otherwise, seem to get good signal strength throughout town and in the Leeward area. Haven't tried going out to Waipahu or the North Shore though. Lots of fun logging into Instant Messenger while sitting in the airport waiting to take a flight to the neighbor islands!
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by spleen93
    Coverage on Oahu not bad. Lose signal strength in strange places (like in the bathroom outside Royal Garden in the Ala Moana Hotel) but otherwise, seem to get good signal strength throughout town and in the Leeward area. Haven't tried going out to Waipahu or the North Shore though. Lots of fun logging into Instant Messenger while sitting in the airport waiting to take a flight to the neighbor islands!
    Thanks for replying.

I am wondering if you can send and receive text messages (like SMS) on Sprint PCS?

How is the "speed" of your unit? I had another thread going in this area and was wondering if it takes 2-3 seconds of lag time to see if you pressed the right key!

Thanks again,

Stan
    Originally posted by Stanward

Thanks for replying.

I am wondering if you can send and receive text messages (like SMS) on Sprint PCS?

How is the "speed" of your unit? I had another thread going in this area and was wondering if it takes 2-3 seconds of lag time to see if you pressed the right key!

Thanks again,

Stan
    Stan,

I have been able to receive SMS messages sent from the Sprint PCS website. I dled the new SMS app from PDAapps and tried sending a SMS to a buddy who also bought a treo 300 in sacramento, CA. He apparently got a message but was told to check the website to actually read it and was not able to do so with blazer (sprint! )

Hopefully Sprint will clean up their act and get SMS support done right since it's somewhat half-baked at the current time.

I have not seen any lag time when using the Treo with its regular applications. If you're talking about lag time in loading web pages and such, yes, there is a lag time but I suspect this is a problem with Blazer and the transmission speed of the network at this point, rather than a fault of the Treo, based on the threads on this board. Somehow I doubt that your 270 is designed to work with a lag as well however - have you tried exchanging it for another unit to see if this problem is reproducible?
    anyone try treo 300 in kauai? particularly hanalei. well? oh. you're out surfing.
  7.    #7  

Stan,

I have been able to receive SMS messages sent from the Sprint PCS website. I dled the new SMS app from PDAapps and tried sending a SMS to a buddy who also bought a treo 300 in sacramento, CA. He apparently got a message but was told to check the website to actually read it and was not able to do so with blazer (sprint! )

Hopefully Sprint will clean up their act and get SMS support done right since it's somewhat half-baked at the current time.

I have not seen any lag time when using the Treo with its regular applications. If you're talking about lag time in loading web pages and such, yes, there is a lag time but I suspect this is a problem with Blazer and the transmission speed of the network at this point, rather than a fault of the Treo, based on the threads on this board. Somehow I doubt that your 270 is designed to work with a lag as well however - have you tried exchanging it for another unit to see if this problem is reproducible?
    I meant lag time as in the phone part of the Treo. When you press the Voicemail icon on the speed dial screen, it takes 2-3 seconds for the unit to change the screen into "Dialing Voicemail." This in turn makes me wait to see if I pressed the right button, and to see if I pressed it hard enough.

I hate the speed of the Treo 270, apparently not engineered right, as Handspring Tech Support did say all Treo 270s are like that.

Stan

I meant lag time as in the phone part of the Treo. When you press the Voicemail icon on the speed dial screen, it takes 2-3 seconds for the unit to change the screen into "Dialing Voicemail." This in turn makes me wait to see if I pressed the right button, and to see if I pressed it hard enough.

I hate the speed of the Treo 270, apparently not engineered right, as Handspring Tech Support did say all Treo 270s are like that.

Stan
    Stan,

Nope, no lag between pressing the button and the screen coming up saying "dialing voicemail". Weird about your 270.

spleen
  9.    #9  

Stan,

Nope, no lag between pressing the button and the screen coming up saying "dialing voicemail". Weird about your 270.

spleen
    Thanks for the reply,

Handspring Tech Support told me that all of the Treo 270 models are slow like that. I have another friend here on the island with the Treo 270 and his unit reacts the exact same way as mine.

Seems like I should either wait for the GPRS upgrade(some other upgrades will be available in this package) or I shall move from Voicestream to Sprint PCS.

The problems with the Treo 300 that I see on this board seems to be the horrible customer service with Sprint PCS, as well as the lack of SMS messages(I love this feature with Voicestream).

I wonder if Handspring will work out their bugs by then? Or if there will be a better PDA/phone combo available? Most likely the latter.

Stan

The problems with the Treo 300 that I see on this board seems to be the horrible customer service with Sprint PCS, as well as the lack of SMS messages(I love this feature with Voicestream).

I wonder if Handspring will work out their bugs by then? Or if there will be a better PDA/phone combo available? Most likely the latter.

Stan
    Though I suspect that there will be other PDA/phone combos out there (I really wish Sony would take the Clie line and combine it into a phone (not going to happen, I know, because of their partnership wtih Symbian)), the Treo line IMHO is the best combination out there right now. While Sprint's customer service does not seem to be the best educated, I have yet to have a big enough problem with my phone to require any extensive supoprt issues. (I'm ignoring my inability to send and receive Email using the Sprint pop and smtp servers). SMS now works using Treo300SMS though still some bugs to work out. Still, I'm hopeful with the way things keep improving that this will work out well in the long run ... heck, I'm happy with the product now so it can only get better.